Sierra Club Goes Door-to-Door Now?!?

Old September 4th 03, 12:11 AM
Sorni

Default Sierra Club Goes Door-to-Door Now?!?

So I was in mid-smart-ass-reply to the guy who bought the GT Avalanche, and
the door bell rings.

I actually had clothes on for a change, so I answered it.

Some female solicitor-type young person says, "I'm from the Sierra Club.
Heard of it?"

At the exact same time, a delivery guy walks up with my new digital camera
(!), so blowing her off with a simple "yeah, but I don't support 'em" was
extra easy.

OK, now I have a box to open.

Bill "never a dull moment in this edgy life" S.

(I got a Kodak DX-4330 with charging dock from Costco. Nothing terribly
fancy, but then I like meat and starchy side dishes. Should be better than
the 4-dollar 35-mm I got years ago when my nice Minolta died.)

PPS: How am I supposed to get a nap in before tonight's ride?!? Woe is me,
I tells ya...

Old September 4th 03, 12:53 AM
deluxe model

"Sorni" wrote in message
.. .

(I got a Kodak DX-4330 with charging dock from Costco. Nothing terribly
fancy,

It beats the hell out of my paltry DC-3200

Old September 4th 03, 12:54 AM
BB

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 23:11:33 GMT, Sorni wrote:

Some female solicitor-type young person says, "I'm from the Sierra Club.
Heard of it?"

They stopped by my house several months ago. I told them I wouldn't join
because they can't seem to develop a clear position on mountain biking (it
seems to change depending on who's talking to whom).

The fact that the only elected official that I knew of was clearly a
lunatic didn't speak well for them either, but that was another chapter so
I didn't bring that up at the time (and of course its all changed since
then).

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old September 4th 03, 01:35 AM
Stephen Baker

Sorni says:

Some female solicitor-type young person says, "I'm from the Sierra Club.
Heard of it?"

At the exact same time, a delivery guy walks up with my new digital camera
(!), so blowing her off with a simple "yeah, but I don't support 'em" was
extra easy.

I didn't even need the excuse of the delivery guy. i just told the one that
knocked on my door that I wouldn't spend a penny on the Sierra Club until they
had issued a statement apologising for their treatment of mountain bikers'
concerns.
She looked at me like I was nuts, causing me to think that she was possibly
some college kid trying to make tuition for this year. She picked the wrong
door....

Steve
Old September 4th 03, 01:55 AM
Slacker

I didn't even need the excuse of the delivery guy. i just told the one
that
knocked on my door that I wouldn't spend a penny on the Sierra Club until

they
had issued a statement apologising for their treatment of mountain bikers'
concerns.

Steve

What did or didn't they do?
--
Slacker

Old September 4th 03, 03:26 AM
Penny S

Slacker wrote:
I didn't even need the excuse of the delivery guy. i just told the
one that knocked on my door that I wouldn't spend a penny on the
Sierra Club until they had issued a statement apologising for their
treatment of mountain bikers' concerns.

Steve

What did or didn't they do?

sierra club supports the creation of more wilderness ( closed to bike)
areas, closing off a lot of stuff especially in CA that has historically
been multi use. Although they purport to work with IMBA and so on, they
seem to be weighted on the side of hikers-no bikers.

http://www.sierraclub.org/policy/con...on/mtnbike.asp

http://www.warriorssociety.org/News/...ssAlert13.html

(best I can go on google for now)

Penny

Old September 4th 03, 03:46 AM
Slacker

I didn't even need the excuse of the delivery guy. i just told the
one that knocked on my door that I wouldn't spend a penny on the
Sierra Club until they had issued a statement apologising for their
treatment of mountain bikers' concerns.

Steve

What did or didn't they do?

sierra club supports the creation of more wilderness ( closed to bike)
areas, closing off a lot of stuff especially in CA that has historically
been multi use. Although they purport to work with IMBA and so on, they
seem to be weighted on the side of hikers-no bikers.

http://www.sierraclub.org/policy/con...on/mtnbike.asp

http://www.warriorssociety.org/News/...ssAlert13.html

(best I can go on google for now)

Penny

Oh, that's not good! Never did like those freaks.
--
Slacker

Old September 4th 03, 03:52 AM
psycho-

Penny S wrote:
Slacker wrote:
I didn't even need the excuse of the delivery guy. i just told the
one that knocked on my door that I wouldn't spend a penny on the
Sierra Club until they had issued a statement apologising for their
treatment of mountain bikers' concerns.

Steve

What did or didn't they do?

sierra club supports the creation of more wilderness ( closed to bike)
areas, closing off a lot of stuff especially in CA that has historically
been multi use. Although they purport to work with IMBA and so on, they
seem to be weighted on the side of hikers-no bikers.
http://www.sierraclub.org/policy/con...ttp://www.sie-
rraclub.org/policy/conservation/mtnbike.asp
http://www.warriorssociety.org/News/...http://www.wa-
rriorssociety.org/News/WildernessAlert13.html
(best I can go on google for now)
Penny

Not too sure about their policy even after i read that stuff....

Personally, if they made a clear and balanced policy then I wouldn't
object. Obviously, there needs to be fair comprimise on both sides, as
bad bikers will destroy the wilderness as badly as any motor vehicle or
offroad ATV.

Oh well..

Old September 4th 03, 06:41 AM
Dave M Wyman

psycho- wrote:

Not too sure about their policy even after i read that stuff....

The Sierra club position regarding mountain bikes seems pretty clear

- The Sierra Club opposes use of mountain bikes in existing national
Wilderness areas.

- In areas up for consideration as national Wilderness areas, "the
potential for losing bicycle opportunities [snip] should be taken into
account when planning Wilderness designation"

Old September 5th 03, 12:57 AM
Bill Wheeler

wrote:

So I was in mid-smart-ass-reply to the guy who bought the GT Avalanche, and
the door bell rings.

I actually had clothes on for a change, so I answered it.

Some female solicitor-type young person says, "I'm from the Sierra Club.
Heard of it?"

At the exact same time, a delivery guy walks up with my new digital camera
(!), so blowing her off with a simple "yeah, but I don't support 'em" was
extra easy.

OK, now I have a box to open.

Bill "never a dull moment in this edgy life" S.

(I got a Kodak DX-4330 with charging dock from Costco. Nothing terribly
fancy, but then I like meat and starchy side dishes. Should be better than
the 4-dollar 35-mm I got years ago when my nice Minolta died.)

PPS: How am I supposed to get a nap in before tonight's ride?!? Woe is me,
I tells ya...

You are actually pretty damn funny.

Nice,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]