chain skipping

Old February 24th 04, 12:15 PM
phil

Default chain skipping

hey guys,

my chain keeps skipping. when the upper portion of the chain is
under tension the lower jockey wheel moves forward (i.e. towards
the front wheel) and then the chain skips. this leads me to think
that the problem is with the upper jockey wheel, maybe somehow
not 'releasing' the chain quick enough but i dunno, any ideas??

the chain is new, no apparent stiff links and the cassette doesn't
appear to be worn so i'm guessing its a setup issue. possibly i made
the chain too tight?? how can i tell??

cheers all.
Old February 24th 04, 12:21 PM
D T W .../\\...

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Old February 24th 04, 04:10 PM
S o r n i

phil wrote:
hey guys,

my chain keeps skipping. when the upper portion of the chain is
under tension the lower jockey wheel moves forward (i.e. towards
the front wheel) and then the chain skips. this leads me to think
that the problem is with the upper jockey wheel, maybe somehow
not 'releasing' the chain quick enough but i dunno, any ideas??

the chain is new, no apparent stiff links and the cassette doesn't
appear to be worn so i'm guessing its a setup issue. possibly i made
the chain too tight?? how can i tell??

Could be a number of things.

Did you thread chain correctly thru the rear derailleur? There's a little
"stop" chingus on the cage that's easy to miss.

Stiff link? Back pedal slowly and watch for tell-tale skip over rear cogs.
(Rivet not flush can cause this, too.)

8 speed chain on 9 speed drivetrain?

Check cassette carefully for bent tooth/teeth.

Ditto chain rings.

Something wound around one of jockey wheels? Make sure both turn freely and
smoothly.

Finally, your cassette and/or chain ring(s) may be worn out (can't always
tell by looking); this would cause skipping, although I doubt the "catching"
thing with the jockey wheel you describe.

Bill "Miles and Michael Paul can attest to my mechanical abilities" S.

Old February 25th 04, 12:13 AM
GP-TJ

"phil" wrote in message
hey guys,

my chain keeps skipping. when the upper portion of the chain is
under tension the lower jockey wheel moves forward (i.e. towards
the front wheel) and then the chain skips. this leads me to think
that the problem is with the upper jockey wheel, maybe somehow
not 'releasing' the chain quick enough but i dunno, any ideas??

the chain is new, no apparent stiff links and the cassette doesn't
appear to be worn so i'm guessing its a setup issue. possibly i made
the chain too tight?? how can i tell??

cheers all.

Sounds like the chain is new and the cassette isn't. To check, hold the
rear brake and apply force the pedal. Make sure you are in a gear that you
know slips. If the chain rides up on the cog, the cassette is worn. I
broke a chain after 3months and the cassette looked good but the chain
slipped. It is hard to tell.

Old February 25th 04, 03:19 AM
tcmedara

phil wrote:
hey guys,

my chain keeps skipping. when the upper portion of the chain is
under tension the lower jockey wheel moves forward (i.e. towards
the front wheel) and then the chain skips. this leads me to think
that the problem is with the upper jockey wheel, maybe somehow
not 'releasing' the chain quick enough but i dunno, any ideas??

the chain is new, no apparent stiff links and the cassette doesn't
appear to be worn so i'm guessing its a setup issue. possibly i made
the chain too tight?? how can i tell??

cheers all.

I think the bike is bad. You should toss it and get a new one.

No, seriously....what everyone else said. Check condition of cassette and
chainrings closer. New chain and no problems previously really points to
worn cassette. I also recommend you check out Sheldon Brown's site. He
talks lots about chain/cassette wear. He's also got some info on proper
chain length, though I can't imagine that would cause skipping. 'Course I'm
no trained expert there, others may chime in if I'm wrong. Make sure rear d
isn't bent. Make sure cable is operating smoothly.

Here it is again: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

More helpful stuff here as well:
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/...tml#drivetrain

Tom

Old February 25th 04, 10:08 AM
phil

thanks for the tips guys. i'm still not sure why its happening but
following up your ideas.
cheers
Old February 25th 04, 11:25 AM

If the pulley has to much play it will make the chain
jump over. Time to replace them.

I MTB 2004

Old February 26th 04, 03:41 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:15:41 +0000, phil
wrote:

hey guys,

my chain keeps skipping. when the upper portion of the chain is
under tension the lower jockey wheel moves forward (i.e. towards
the front wheel) and then the chain skips. this leads me to think
that the problem is with the upper jockey wheel, maybe somehow
not 'releasing' the chain quick enough but i dunno, any ideas??

the chain is new, no apparent stiff links and the cassette doesn't
appear to be worn so i'm guessing its a setup issue. possibly i made
the chain too tight?? how can i tell??

cheers all.

SS,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]

Cleaning & lubricating chain bearings [email protected] General 2 June 24th 04 05:14 PM
Chain and pin Giovanni Mountain Biking 3 December 4th 03 10:53 PM
Why does my chain "lock up" Peter Tønnesen Mountain Biking 11 August 7th 03 04:16 PM
Rehydrating my chain? Mark \(UK\) Mountain Biking 5 July 14th 03 05:19 PM
Problem Chain.. Shaun Rimmer Mountain Biking 3 July 11th 03 09:45 PM