Strongest SPD Pedals ?

Old March 18th 05, 06:48 PM
Magnusfarce

Default Strongest SPD Pedals ?

Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD pedals?
Weight is not an issue. As long as we're at it, are any considered to be
relatively flimsy?

- Magnusfarce

Old March 19th 05, 04:46 PM
Peter Cole

Magnusfarce wrote:
Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD

pedals?
Weight is not an issue. As long as we're at it, are any considered

to be
relatively flimsy?

All of the Shimano pedals have been durable in my experience, some of
the clones (Wellgo) have not, but then they were 1/2 the price. The
better Shimano pedals are really well made, you get what you pay for.

Old March 19th 05, 06:15 PM
maxo

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:46:57 -0800, Peter Cole wrote:

Magnusfarce wrote:
Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD

pedals?
Weight is not an issue. As long as we're at it, are any considered

to be
relatively flimsy?

All of the Shimano pedals have been durable in my experience, some of the
clones (Wellgo) have not, but then they were 1/2 the price. The better
Shimano pedals are really well made, you get what you pay for.

Perhaps choosing a model with a large "platform" surrounding the mechanism
would be something the OP would benefit from?

As far as bearing life, yeah, even the basic Shimanos are pretty decent.

Old March 19th 05, 08:48 PM
Peter Cole

Magnusfarce wrote:
Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD

pedals?

All of the Shimano pedals have been durable in my experience, some

of the
clones (Wellgo) have not, but then they were 1/2 the price. The

better
Shimano pedals are really well made, you get what you pay for.

Perhaps choosing a model with a large "platform" surrounding the

mechanism
would be something the OP would benefit from?

Why? I don't think that has any effect on strength.

Old March 19th 05, 10:41 PM
maxo

Magnusfarce wrote:
Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD
pedals?

All of the Shimano pedals have been durable in my experience, some

of the
clones (Wellgo) have not, but then they were 1/2 the price. The

better
Shimano pedals are really well made, you get what you pay for.

Perhaps choosing a model with a large "platform" surrounding the

mechanism
would be something the OP would benefit from?

Why? I don't think that has any effect on strength.

No but it can give a "feeling" of strength and stability, which is what
some folks--especially heavier new riders look for. Not that I'm assuming
that the OP fits that description...

Old March 19th 05, 11:18 PM
Zoot Katz

Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:41:38 GMT,
, maxo
wrote:

Why? I don't think that has any effect on strength.

No but it can give a "feeling" of strength and stability, which is what
some folks--especially heavier new riders look for.

Googling "strongest pedals" hits Aerolite which boasts over 3600
foot-pounds in a shear-crack test. They're "floating SPD" compatible,
whatever that means. I haven't seen any reviewers rave about the
attachment system.

For their dead stupid simplicity and spring strength, I'd think
Eggbeaters among the strongest SPD pedals available. They list no
restrictions for maximum rider weight.
--
zk
Old March 19th 05, 11:50 PM
Peter Cole

Zoot Katz wrote:

For their dead stupid simplicity and spring strength, I'd think
Eggbeaters among the strongest SPD pedals available. They list no
restrictions for maximum rider weight.

A good friend is still PT'ing his shattered lower leg (since Oct) after
a slow twisting fall with EggBeaters. He's convinced the pedal didn't
release.

Old March 20th 05, 12:12 AM
Zoot Katz

19 Mar 2005 15:50:15 -0800,
.com, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

A good friend is still PT'ing his shattered lower leg (since Oct) after
a slow twisting fall with EggBeaters. He's convinced the pedal didn't
release.

I could see that happening with any pedal having loose screws in the
cleat or a tight toe-strap though a shattered bone is rather extreme.
Ouch.
--
zk
Old March 20th 05, 12:13 AM
Leonard Migliore

In article .com,
"Peter Cole" wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

For their dead stupid simplicity and spring strength, I'd think
Eggbeaters among the strongest SPD pedals available. They list no
restrictions for maximum rider weight.

A good friend is still PT'ing his shattered lower leg (since Oct) after
a slow twisting fall with EggBeaters. He's convinced the pedal didn't
release.

Yeah, I broke my hip in a fall like that and my leg was still clipped in
to the Eggbeater when they came to carry me away.
Old March 20th 05, 02:12 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Magnusfarce" wrote:

Which models would be considered among the strongest two-sided SPD pedals?
Weight is not an issue. As long as we're at it, are any considered to be
relatively flimsy?

- Magnusfarce

You surely couldn't go wrong with the metal-caged 636 and 646 "DX"
designs, but are you sure you're asking the right question?

The SPD mechanism may not be much for clearing mud (at least in some
versions), but it's pretty sturdy. You could probably use most of the
metal-bodied mountain-bike pedals to break rocks. The current Shimano
"caged" designs use plastic or aluminum cages.

Are you asking about resistance to breaking spindles, as from a big
drop? They're probably all fairly similar (at least for Shimano's own
stuff), since the big S uses cr-mo spindles in all of its SPD pedals,
even the Lance-tastic Dura-Ace SPD-SL road pedals.

Anyways, the 6x6 pedals have something approaching a cult following. I
have a set of the 636 pedals, and they work fine. Both pedals are now
discontinued, but are readily available, as well as more or less
reasonable replacements.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.