My New $8 Rockhopper

Old March 23rd 05, 04:28 PM
Garrison Hilliard

maxo wrote in message ...
Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

And I picked up a nearly-unused 1990 Schwinn High Sierra 21 speed for
$10 on the
same day!

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp for 31 dollars, but found $23 in a secret
compartment in the tail bag. *grin*

I hate it when things like that happen... basically because it didn't
happen to me! G
Old March 23rd 05, 05:14 PM
Jeff Starr

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:36:45 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 04:02:57 +0000, maxo wrote:

Today I got a Rockhopper Comp

Update:

Well, here it is all cleaned up.

http://photos7.flickr.com/7160882_092d773b12_o.jpg

Nice job, it looks good.

Years ago, the first thing I did when I got my Champion Du Monde road
bike was remove all the useless decals. It really made a difference on
your Rockhopper.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old March 23rd 05, 07:13 PM
maxo

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:28:03 -0800, Garrison Hilliard wrote:

maxo wrote in message
Well, I think I've obliterated my thrift store record!

And I picked up a nearly-unused 1990 Schwinn High Sierra 21 speed for $10
on the
same day!

Looks to be similar spec to the Rockhopper, except for a 7 spd
cassette and rapidfire.

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/schwinn_specs.htm

Excellent.

Old rigid mtbs sure do make the nicest city bikes. Mine's going to come to
around $70usd after I add the new bits like fenders and tires and should
be better quality than anything new costing under $500. Yeah,it doesn't
have as many gears--how much does that really matter in the city?

Old March 23rd 05, 07:15 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

Could it be the very long seatpost is soaking up the vibration? That, of
course, couldn't account for why it's comfy at the front end too.

When I changed from Cheng Shin slicks to IRC Metros,
the cushiness of the ride was (and still is) amazing.
I kept the CS's pumped to 60 psi. The cheap-o Metros
are rated for 40 psi, but being a lightweight skinny
guy, I pump 'em up to 50, so far with no ill effects.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 23rd 05, 07:19 PM
maxo

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:14:30 +0000, Jeff Starr wrote:

Nice job, it looks good.

Years ago, the first thing I did when I got my Champion Du Monde road bike
was remove all the useless decals. It really made a difference on your
Rockhopper.

Thanks! I'm pretty anti-decal too. I'm also not a fan of two tone paint
either, but removing the blue on the Rockhopper promises to be a PITA so
I'll leave it.

I tend to stick to shades of gray for my bikes--usually black, and I'll
allow the occasional cream coloured one.

Bike frames are just too elegant on their own to be ruined with fancy
paint and decals.

If I had the time, I'd just take apart all my bikes and have them all
powdercoated charcoal gray.

Old March 23rd 05, 08:11 PM
maxo

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:15:31 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
maxo writes:

Could it be the very long seatpost is soaking up the vibration? That, of
course, couldn't account for why it's comfy at the front end too.

When I changed from Cheng Shin slicks to IRC Metros, the cushiness of the
ride was (and still is) amazing. I kept the CS's pumped to 60 psi. The
cheap-o Metros are rated for 40 psi, but being a lightweight skinny guy, I
pump 'em up to 50, so far with no ill effects.

cheers,
Tom

Good point, the RH does have some very nice Panaracer Hi-Road 26X1.5 tires
on it. The casing is the most supple I've ever seen on a 26" mtb city
tire. Too bad they're a bit UV damaged. Could be the reason for the nice
ride.

I wish they came with a black sidewall, I'd definitely get another set,
but I can't pay 50 bucks for a set of rubber with tan skinwalls--they get
so grubby looking. :P

Old March 24th 05, 07:34 AM

maxo wrote:
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/schwinn_specs.htm

Excellent.

Old rigid mtbs sure do make the nicest city bikes. Mine's going to

come to
around $70usd after I add the new bits like fenders and tires and

should
be better quality than anything new costing under $500. Yeah,it

doesn't
have as many gears--how much does that really matter in the city?

You don't live in Cincinnati, do you? ;-) Let me tell you about hills...

Old March 24th 05, 07:43 AM

Btw, I hate those rapid-fire shifters with a passion... and they are
HARD to shift!

Old March 24th 05, 03:00 PM
Jeff Starr

On 23 Mar 2005 23:43:17 -0800, wrote:

Btw, I hate those rapid-fire shifters with a passion... and they are
HARD to shift!

Thanks for sharing;-)

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old March 24th 05, 03:18 PM
maxo

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:34:14 -0800, garrison wrote:

maxo wrote:
http://www.firstflightbikes.com/schwinn_specs.htm

Excellent.

Old rigid mtbs sure do make the nicest city bikes. Mine's going to

come to
around $70usd after I add the new bits like fenders and tires and

should
be better quality than anything new costing under $500. Yeah,it

doesn't
have as many gears--how much does that really matter in the city?

You don't live in Cincinnati, do you? ;-) Let me tell you about
hills...

Nashville, TN--it's fairly hilly here AND my primary ride's a single speed...

*grin*

What I mean is that the average city commuter really doesn't need 30
different gear ratios to make it up and down the city hills. As long as
you've got a "low" "medium" and "high" you can handle most situations--you
*can* get off and walk the sucker up a steep hill--that's what I always
did in Seattle.

When all is said and done, I'd still rather have my Shimano Nexus internal
bike back. Seven gears, no hassle.

Rockhopper down cc Mountain Biking 12 August 16th 04 10:53 PM
Specialized Rockhopper Comp aTmSpectre Mountain Biking 1 July 22nd 04 12:50 AM
Is it better to upgrade the components on my 10 yr old frame, orbuy a new bike? Paul Mountain Biking 9 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Ruined my Rockhopper - need used recommendation Dan Mountain Biking 3 February 24th 04 05:15 AM
Advice on Hardtail under $700 Greg Smith Off Road 1 August 29th 03 02:00 PM