Bike buying advice - new or used?

Old March 31st 05, 07:06 AM
Bartow W. Riggs

I think, in general, a thousand dollars is about the minimum I would spend
on a new bike. If you plan to ride it a lot that is...your mileage will
likely vary.

Bart
Vision Recumbent, Klein Q Pro-XX, Abici Vader, LeMond Sarthe, Airborne
Zeppelin, Airborne Manhatten Project, Cannondale T-2000, Douglas Project
cross ...etc.

"Jim Flom" wrote in message
"Callistus Valerius" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks for any advice!

We all started out, trying just to get in shape, and before the year
is
up, we all bought racing bikes. So you might want to keep that in mind.
105 is a good buy, but if you got the bucks go for an Ultegra.

This is absolutely true. If you once loved cycling and don't want to look
like a geek ("a "fred") pay more for at least Ultegra (better yet, get
Campy Chorus) and a nice frame. I refused to believe in '98 that a
perfectly wonderful bike couldn't be had for $750. I was being
"practical" and anti-trendy. Now, even as my rain bike that bike has been
upgraded to Ultegra and my "A" bike cost $3k in 1999.

JF

Old March 31st 05, 07:59 AM
Plin

I've been doing a little research and the Giant OCR 1 seems to fit the
bill...Ultegra front and rear for under $1,000. It's on the heavy side,
but it sounds like it's built like a tank and should last a few years.
I'll try and find a LBS with one to test ride.

One of the reviews (UK) showed it in a cool white/silver paint scheme,
whereas Giant's US website says it's only available in blue in the US.
Is it possible for US buyers to get non-US models without paying much
more?

Old March 31st 05, 11:46 AM
Callistus Valerius

One of the reviews (UK) showed it in a cool white/silver paint scheme,
whereas Giant's US website says it's only available in blue in the US.
Is it possible for US buyers to get non-US models without paying much
more?

Giants have short wheelbases. If you're going to do a lot of steep
descents, and long distance riding, I would look elsewhere. Giants are crit
bikes, but they sure do have damn good paint jobs.

Old March 31st 05, 03:20 PM
d^2

are you recommending the ultegra components because you suspect this
person will get in shape and end up racing? or are you saying that
there is something that the ultegra stuff can offer that everyone who
rides will want eventually (racer or no)?

the reason i ask is that my first road cycle has all 105 components and
probably 12,000 miles on it, and i think it's a great bike (and
everything worked as well or better than i could have hoped for). of
course, i've never ridden on anything with ultegra stuff. i got hit by
a car on this bike, though, and a lot of stuff needs to get fixed now,
so i am actually looking for new bikes at the same time i'm figuring
out how much it will cost to fix this one up. i have been thinking
about just buying another bike with the same 105 set of components, but
if there is a serious argument for buying ultegra over 105, then i'd
like to hear it.

if 105 is good enough, however, what models of bike out there have good
frames and 105 components? i've seen the felt f70 for about 1000
(http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f70.html). is there
anything else out there comparable to this?

Old March 31st 05, 03:22 PM
jj

On 30 Mar 2005 22:59:14 -0800, "Plin" wrote:

I've been doing a little research and the Giant OCR 1 seems to fit the
bill...Ultegra front and rear for under $1,000. It's on the heavy side,
but it sounds like it's built like a tank and should last a few years.
I'll try and find a LBS with one to test ride.

I've never ridden a Giant bike that I like, though they seem to have better
componentry than the 'corresponding' Trek. They are heavier, not sure why,
because they are smaller/shorter. Be sure you test ride a few different
bikes to make a good comparison.

jj

Old March 31st 05, 04:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Also, it seems that most bikes nowadays are aluminum. Personally, I
think I'd rather have a steel frame for better shock absorption, since
light weight isn't a top priority. Does anyone still make steel framed
bikes in this range?

Thanks for any advice!

Specialized makesa a really nice steel frame and fork that retails for
about $550..Allez cro-mo

Just don't believe the BS as tyo 'why compact'...
Old March 31st 05, 09:16 PM
Plin

A LBS has 2004 models of the Giant OCR1 and OCR2 for $925 and $780,
respectively. The '04 OCR 1 is actually better than the '05 model,
since it uses Ultegra front and rear, vs. Ultegra/105 on the '05. Are
these good deals, or should I try and haggle them down a bit? They'll
even give me $100 trade-in for my 20 year old Centurion Lemans RS (only
if I get the OCR 1).

Also, I'm deciding whether to go for the OCR 1 or 2. I'll use the bike
mainly to get/stay in shape and won't be racing or anything, but I'll
probably keep this bike for at least 10 years. The OCR 2 uses
105/Tiagra. Considering the price difference is only $140, I'll
probably get the OCR 1.

Old March 31st 05, 09:39 PM
Plin

BTW, I started a separate thread on the Giant OCR 1 vs 2.

Old April 1st 05, 02:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Plin wrote:
A LBS has 2004 models of the Giant OCR1 and OCR2 for $925 and $780,
respectively. The '04 OCR 1 is actually better than the '05 model,
since it uses Ultegra front and rear, vs. Ultegra/105 on the '05. Are
these good deals, or should I try and haggle them down a bit?

Grrrrr....ya know car dealers are part of a system where they get big
kickbacks and deals from the factory and can 'haggle'. Bike shops
normally either pay for bicycles up front or go into debt to buy them,
often NOT with the manufacturer. They are going to give you $100 for the
POS you mentioned, which they will undoubtedly put into the
dumpster...Give the LBS a little slack, we are not talking about a
$40,000 SUV here.

Old April 1st 05, 05:59 PM
H M Leary

In article 1112363778.57ff4208517f3f95d0a82a3d9a81988d@teran ews,
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Plin wrote:
A LBS has 2004 models of the Giant OCR1 and OCR2 for $925 and $780,
respectively. The '04 OCR 1 is actually better than the '05 model,
since it uses Ultegra front and rear, vs. Ultegra/105 on the '05. Are
these good deals, or should I try and haggle them down a bit?

snip
....Give the LBS a little slack, we are not talking about a
$40,000 SUV here.

snip

Jees, Peter,

I just got back from my friendly GMC Scud dealer and he wrote up a $ 56K
Denali for $41,500 and will give me $4K for my Exploder!

You mean my LBS Moots guy won't give me the same deal????

( you know he will for $41K )....

Flare to Land.... Live Long and prosper!

HAND