fatigued campy shifter mechanism

Old April 24th 05, 03:43 AM
jim beam

Default fatigued campy shifter mechanism

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfoge/do...hift_mech.jpeg

this is my broken campy "g-spring" holder ring. the fatigue initiation
point is clearly seen originating from the unradiused notch at the root
of the spring post.

this is not to say that i'm unsatisfied with the function of campy when
it's working, quite the opposite, but the only shimano shifters i've
ever had problems with are ones where the lube has become gummed up.
that's regrettable, but not a design flaw per se. campy clearly have an
/easily remedied/ design issue here.

thanks to peter for diagnosis & supplying a replacement so promptly.
thanks to carl for hosting the pic.

Old April 24th 05, 04:08 AM
Jim Smith

jim beam writes:

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfoge/do...hift_mech.jpeg

this is my broken campy "g-spring" holder ring. the fatigue initiation
point is clearly seen originating from the unradiused notch at the root
of the spring post.

typo in link. Correct is:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...hift_mech.jpeg

Old April 24th 05, 04:20 AM

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 22:08:49 -0500, Jim Smith
wrote:

jim beam writes:

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfoge/do...hift_mech.jpeg

this is my broken campy "g-spring" holder ring. the fatigue initiation
point is clearly seen originating from the unradiused notch at the root
of the spring post.

typo in link. Correct is:

http://home.comcast.net/~carlfogel/d...hift_mech.jpeg

Dear Jim,

I have a hideous suspicion that the typo was my cut and
paste error in an email.

Carl Foge
Old April 24th 05, 06:50 AM
Jim Flom

"jim beam" wrote in message
news:1114310613.5b108046195ea82fcce1dad468700624@t eranews...
well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

.... and have to buy a whole new shifter? G-springs are easier than earth
girls.

Old April 24th 05, 01:39 PM
richard

Out of curiosity, in what year was your shifter made? Some parts were
re-designed in 2000 (including the ring, to remove stress risers), and
they fit older shifters. Oh yeah, the ring costs about $5.

Meanwhile, lots of stories about STI's failing within the warranty
period, especially the last couple of years. SO, either they have
inherent flaws undefined (since they are so rarely re-built), or they
have serious QC issues.

Take your choice...

Old April 24th 05, 04:00 PM
Pete Biggs

richard wrote:
Out of curiosity, in what year was your shifter made? Some parts were
re-designed in 2000 (including the ring, to remove stress risers), and
they fit older shifters. Oh yeah, the ring costs about $5.

Jim's looks like the re-designed one to me.

~PB

Old April 24th 05, 06:48 PM
jim beam

Jim Flom wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
news:1114310613.5b108046195ea82fcce1dad468700624@t eranews...

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

... and have to buy a whole new shifter? G-springs are easier than earth
girls.

have you changed one? must be something wrong with the earth girls at
your coordinates.

Old April 24th 05, 09:33 PM
Jim Flom

"jim beam" wrote in message
news:1114364946.2a6809fa03317d3012613565f71ae4e7@t eranews...
Jim Flom wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
news:1114310613.5b108046195ea82fcce1dad468700624@t eranews...

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

... and have to buy a whole new shifter? G-springs are easier than earth
girls.

have you changed one? must be something wrong with the earth girls at
your coordinates.

Changed an earth girl? Not since I got married, but I am pleased to say I
have experience with both mechanisms. And I wouldn'tr even say I am
particularly detail- or mechanically oriented. All it takes is patience and
paying attention to the dissassembly.

Old April 25th 05, 05:58 AM
RonSonic

Jim Flom wrote:
"jim beam" wrote in message
news:1114310613.5b108046195ea82fcce1dad468700624@t eranews...

well folks, here's the debate: is it better that campy shifter
mechanisms are fully serviceable or is it better that shimano be
designed without inherent flaws [easily removed stress risers] in the
first place?

... and have to buy a whole new shifter? G-springs are easier than earth
girls.

have you changed one? must be something wrong with the earth girls at
your coordinates.

Changed an earth girl? Not since I got married, but I am pleased to say I
have experience with both mechanisms. And I wouldn'tr even say I am
particularly detail- or mechanically oriented. All it takes is patience and
paying attention to the dissassembly.

Earth girls?

Ron

campy friction shifter Jon Blake Techniques 5 January 22nd 05 04:09 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Campy Ergo Shifter - Rebuild or Upgrade? Arthur Shapiro Techniques 7 August 4th 04 06:30 PM
campy shifter lost its click Jim Flom Techniques 14 March 24th 04 02:55 PM
Campy 9 Bar End Shifter alternatives. Justin F. Knotzke Techniques 2 September 16th 03 02:01 PM