Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes

Old August 4th 04, 05:38 AM
Bill Baka

Default Bicyclists going wrong way and other crimes

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 01:41:55 GMT, S o r n i
wrote:

DTJ wrote:
On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:29:44 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Hey, even I, the wrong way on one road guy, will not ride against
traffic in town. There are too many cars backing out of driveways,

If you are incapable of watching for cars in driveways on side
streets, you should not be on a bike at all.

Further, I watch both behind and in front of me. Should someone come
up in front, I am on the right side before they get there. Should
they come up from behind, I am on the left before they get there. If
someone is coming from both directions, I typically place myself near
a parked car to have some form of shielding. I don't see why anyone
should care that I do this.

OK, see, you just blew your troll. You had a fairly good flow of BS
goin'
there for a while, but you tried to take it a tad too far.

Bill "nice while it lasted tho'" S.

Too much posting to track who said what. I never zig zag from side to
side on a road with cars. I may be a free style rider but not with a
death wish.
Bill Baka

Old August 4th 04, 07:20 AM
Bernard Farquart

"Badger_South" wrote in message

What kind of pussy brags about hitting a pedestrian or biker? Oh, it's

you,
Bernard. ;-p

Have you read a single post in this freeking thread?

The *POINT* is that if you ride the wrong way,
you wil get HIT. I was not trying to hit a bike, I
certainly did not need the conversation with my
insurance company. The bike was where I had
no reason to expect someone to be, do ya get the point?

Bernard

Old August 4th 04, 02:00 PM
AustinMN

DTJ wrote:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 04:09:03 GMT, Chris BeHanna
wrote:

Bull****. Do the math:

Try it yourself.

Driver: 60mph (i.e., 88 feet / second)

If the driver is doing 60MPH in a residential area on a side street, I
DAMN WELL want to see him first, so I can get to safety.

You just keep going like an idiot expecting the drunk or otherwise
impaired driver to not hit you.

And you set yourself up so not just the drunk and impaired, but EVERY driver
is set up to hit you.

Austin

Old August 4th 04, 02:10 PM
AustinMN

DTJ wrote:
I guess the point of this is that the idiots who pass laws based on
ignorance (almost all politicians) frequently forget that the world
does not operate in a single fashion at all times.

Everyone with real knowledge of the roads disagrees with you and agrees with
the politicians. You haven't done any research (that is extremely obvious
to those of us who have). Now, by definition, what does that make you?

I've said it before, and it is still true, no matter what you think. The
only people who should not be riding on the right (or left in a country
where traffic is on the left) are people incapable of comprehending or
obeying traffic law. Those people should not be riding on the street at
all.

Austin

Old August 4th 04, 02:16 PM
AustinMN

DTJ snipped daming evidence in order to post the following ****:
On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:36:38 GMT, "AustinMN"
wrote:

You are the one who is not bothering to think. The vast majority of
car-bike accidents occur in intersections. A wrong-way bicycle rider is

Well damn. Since I don't bike through intersections your idiot logic
does not apply.

So you never leave a one-block area? You never cross driveways? What a
boring existence.

You are so full of **** it is unbelievable. I have never said that about
anyone ever before in my life, but it certainly applies here.

Get an enema. You'll be more comfortable afterwards.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old August 4th 04, 02:19 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 20:57:35 -0700, Bill Baka wrote:

Time for me to put my foot in my mouth again with the bicycle group.
All this stuff about reaction time is pretty irrelevant if you
are not looking in the rear view mirror all the time. It is just
the way it is that you will see somthing in front of you and react
to it, but an image in a mirror doesn't impact the brain the same
way.

Hardly. It isn't just your reaction time, it is that of the driver,
and it may make the difference between the driver being at a full stop
and hitting you at speed.

And it can be even more important on leisure rides in low traffic. A
rider going the same direction has more time to be seen, especially in
the case of a road with a lot of small curves. A rider going the wrong
way may see the driver (and be seen) for the first time in the curve
that they come together. Going the same direction and the rider may be
seen several times just before entering a curve before being
overtaken.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old August 4th 04, 03:14 PM
Brent P

In article , Bill Baka wrote:
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 04:00:16 GMT, Brent P
wrote:

There is no law against wrong way shoulder or sidewalk riding since
that isn't part of the roadway. I just don't see what the problem
is.

What about walking on a country road with no bike/pedestrian path?

If you're on the roadway using a bicycle you are to be on the right
side unless it's a one way street.

I walk facing traffic sometimes.
Dangling a carrot in front of a group.
Bill Baka
Couldn't pass it up.

Unfortantly there are no laws in IL about peds on the roadway to the
best of my knowledge.