Batteryless bicycle safety lights. (New Generation)

Old January 7th 05, 05:38 PM
Q Gang

Default Batteryless bicycle safety lights. (New Generation)

Batteryless, No friction on any parts of the bicycle. Not like normal
bicycle dynamos, this light system works regardless the bicycle's
speed and weather conditions. Standby lights if you want.

More details on:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Thanks
Old January 7th 05, 07:09 PM
A Muzi

Q Gang wrote:
Batteryless, No friction on any parts of the bicycle. Not like normal
bicycle dynamos, this light system works regardless the bicycle's
speed and weather conditions. Standby lights if you want.

More details on:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Well, that is extremely cool. But oversold.

If it is truly 'no friction' and 'no drag', let's just make
a few thousand large models and stop buying Saudi oil, ok?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 7th 05, 07:21 PM
Benjamin Lewis

A. Muzi wrote:

Q Gang wrote:
Batteryless, No friction on any parts of the bicycle. Not like normal
bicycle dynamos, this light system works regardless the bicycle's
speed and weather conditions. Standby lights if you want.
More details on:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Well, that is extremely cool. But oversold.

If it is truly 'no friction' and 'no drag', let's just make
a few thousand large models and stop buying Saudi oil, ok?

From the website:

,----
| Note: Many people wrote to me saying they do not believe there is no drag
| in this dynamo. Technically, there is a drag force but only between the two
| magnets. But unlike typical dynamos there is no scraping against the tire
| to slow down the bike itself. On my bicycle, even the drag force between
| the two magnets is too small to be detected. The lights still flash even at
| a very, very low speed.
`----

So hub dynamos would also fall under this authors 'no friction or drag'
definition.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Luke, I'm yer father, eh. Come over to the dark side, you hoser.
-- Dave Thomas, "Strange Brew"
Old January 7th 05, 07:37 PM
Mark Janeba

Q Gang wrote:

Batteryless, No friction on any parts of the bicycle.

OK, maybe no "friction" if we insist on restricting friction to contact
friction. Just magnetic drag which the website listed conveniently ignores.

Andy Muzi's post has got it - this is being promoted as if it were a
perpetual motion machine.

Mark Janeba

Old January 7th 05, 09:03 PM
hhu

Andy Muzi's post has got it - this is being promoted as if it were a
perpetual motion machine.

I don't think that is what they are trying to say. I think they are
simply saying that the thing uses so little power that you will not
feel it as you do when you use a bottle generator that presses against
the tire.

TD
Old January 7th 05, 09:22 PM
Zog The Undeniable

hhu wrote:

I don't think that is what they are trying to say. I think they are
simply saying that the thing uses so little power that you will not
feel it as you do when you use a bottle generator that presses against
the tire.

And I can't feel that either, although it saps about 8W.
Old January 7th 05, 10:23 PM
Tim McNamara

hhu uuhh writes:

Andy Muzi's post has got it - this is being promoted as if it were a
perpetual motion machine.

I don't think that is what they are trying to say. I think they are
simply saying that the thing uses so little power that you will not
feel it as you do when you use a bottle generator that presses
against the tire.

The same can be said for a good hub generator which will power a
headlight and a taillight. No more firction than a standard hub, and
just magnetic drag (which in the case of the Schmidt SON results in
the equivalent of a 1 foot rise per mile).
Old January 8th 05, 02:07 AM
A Muzi

hhu wrote:
I don't think that is what they are trying to say. I think they are
simply saying that the thing uses so little power that you will not
feel it as you do when you use a bottle generator that presses against
the tire.

I was shooting for humor, not an attack.

Old January 8th 05, 06:22 PM

More details on:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Personally, I think this sounds like a very good idea.

I'm surprised that most of the respondents seem less than enthusiastic
about it.

Lewis. (who admits to being queer for generators)

Old January 8th 05, 06:51 PM
Ted

More details on:
http://www.freelights.co.uk

Personally, I think this sounds like a very good idea.

I'm surprised that most of the respondents seem less than enthusiastic
about it.

Perhaps because of the outright lies in the claims for it.

Examples:

"The magnets do the work, not you!" Right. And what causes the magnets
to move? Hint: muscle power may be involved.

" Note: Many people wrote to me saying they do not believe there is no
drag in this dynamo. Technically, there is a drag force but only between
the two magnets. But unlike typical dynamos there is no scraping against
the tire to slow down the bike itself." Tire-driven dynamos roll
against the tire, they don't scrape.

"On my bicycle, even the drag force between the two magnets is too small
to be detected. The lights still flash even at a very, very low speed. "
If the drag is undetectable, how is it that the lights flash? Perhaps
they flash in an undetectable way?

--
Ted Bennett
Portland, OR