24" road tires and fenders

Old March 11th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Default 24" road tires and fenders

Hi
Can anyone suggest a source for 24" road tires (23-25) and full
coverage narrow fenders? Google suggests Harris, but they're out of
stock. Local shops here in Victoria BC don't seem to have any or
suppliers.
Thanks
Lister
Old March 11th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 11, 4:56 pm, mtb Dad wrote:
Hi
Can anyone suggest a source for 24" road tires (23-25) and full
coverage narrow fenders? Google suggests Harris, but they're out of
stock. Local shops here in Victoria BC don't seem to have any or
suppliers.
Thanks
Lister

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...il.asp?p=PCPOB

I think you're SOL for fenders unless you make your own.

http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

^^ugly, but functional^^
Old March 12th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Mar 11, 4:56 pm, mtb Dad wrote:
Hi
Can anyone suggest a source for 24" road tires (23-25) and full
coverage narrow fenders? Google suggests Harris, but they're out of
stock. Local shops here in Victoria BC don't seem to have any or
suppliers.
Thanks
Lister

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...il.asp?p=PCPOB

I think you're SOL for fenders unless you make your own.

http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

^^ugly, but functional^^

Hey landotter, any experience with those DIY fenders? the lateral
stability of the fender stays looks lacking.

In other words, I think the fender may be free to wobble side to side a
fair bit, probably leading to the stays rubbing against the tire
sidewall.

That could be solved by using a coroplast fender, but salvaging stay
hardware from another fender.

Old March 12th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 11, 7:15 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article
,

landotter wrote:
On Mar 11, 4:56 pm, mtb Dad wrote:
[...]

Haven't made any, but you might be right. On one hand, the coroplast
is so light that 'plast stays could work, on the other, it would be
pretty easy to mod up some stays with coat hangers or stray spokes. Or
go all out and build a steam box and make some wooden fenders! It
wouldn't be too hard, just pick up some veneer from the hardware store
and build a very simple form. Pegs in plywood would work fine. A pop
rivet here, some sanding there and you're looking sharp! I'm guessing
4 glued laminations would do it.
Old March 12th 08, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - 'Roid Rage Edition ®

"landotter" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 4:56 pm, mtb Dad wrote:
Hi
Can anyone suggest a source for 24" road tires (23-25) and full
coverage narrow fenders? Google suggests Harris, but they're out of
stock. Local shops here in Victoria BC don't seem to have any or
suppliers.
Thanks
Lister

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/produ...il.asp?p=PCPOB

I think you're SOL for fenders unless you make your own.

http://www.mile43.com/peterson/FendForYourself.html

^^ugly, but functional^^

Excellent. Finally, politics are good for something!

Old March 12th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

landotter wrote:
Haven't made any, but you might be right. On one hand, the coroplast
is so light that 'plast stays could work, on the other, it would be
pretty easy to mod up some stays with coat hangers or stray spokes. Or
go all out and build a steam box and make some wooden fenders! It
wouldn't be too hard, just pick up some veneer from the hardware store
and build a very simple form. Pegs in plywood would work fine. A pop
rivet here, some sanding there and you're looking sharp! I'm guessing
4 glued laminations would do it.

I've made them and I am no woodworker.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/gbouew1.jpg

Besides steam, thin wood strips and laminating goop, you need a form.
For 700C, I used a truck tire deflated, banded the wet layup on it and
inflated hard overnight. For 24-inch, perhaps something like a 'mini
spare'?? It is quite time consuming, that process gives a flat-section
mudguard (neither as effective or attractive as the usual curved style)
and some bikes have more mudguard clearance than others. But it may
indeed be possible.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 12th 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 11, 11:19 pm, A Muzi wrote:

Besides steam,

Thinking of it, do ya really *need* steam if you're using veneer?
Hmm...

thin wood strips and laminating goop, you need a form.
For 700C, I used a truck tire deflated, banded the wet layup on it and
inflated hard overnight. For 24-inch, perhaps something like a 'mini
spare'??

OK, I would *never* have thought of that! I laughed, till I saw your
fender, which looks great!. I was thinking more like grabbing that
half sheet of ply we all have in the garage and drawing an arc on in
corresponding to the radius we figgured from the axle to the tire plus
some clearance. (nail, string, pencil, for you slow folks) Drill a few
holes, drive a few dowels, sandwich up your veneer-glue-cake, put it
in the mold, add a bunch of spring clamps for good measure and go nuts
when it dries.

As far as I know, the actual hardware is readily available from youse
guys, Harris, Peter White and others.
Old March 12th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mtb Dad

Thanks all. Ryan, I think I must have had a low blood sugar moment;
'my' google didn't turn those up. Also, a local shop CAN get the
tires. I was in today for something else and a different guy knew of
distributor. A few bucks more than mail order, but the shop is worth
it. He thinks there may even be a narrow road fender in 24; if he
finds it, I'll post details.