Antifreeze to loosen stuck stem?

Old August 4th 17, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Antifreeze to loosen stuck stem?

On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 8:31:39 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/3/2017 1:26 AM, bob prohaska wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

In practice, since you haven't moved it with normal methods,

I only tried for about an hour, not much for problems of this
kind. Mostly I wanted to see if the puller and chain sling would
hold, and it does. If folks gave posititive reports on the
antifreeze trick I'd try that next. It looks like I'll be using
the standard heat and penetrating oil quench cycle. That'll take
a day or two at least. Fortunately there's no hurry.

I do wonder though, what is the ammonia method you mention?

we would cut the stem, drop the fork and extract the stump:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/stkromi2.jpg

Didn't the heat to melt the aluminum anneal the fork?

Aluminum flows below the steel's temper limit. We use a
large oxy-propane head for this.

Understand that the basic problem here is that metal oxides
are bigger than metals. Ammonia in theory might reduce the
oxide, leaving some space. In practice I've had limited
success but some people seem to prefer it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I do think Coca-cola worked for me once. I can't prove it. But I tried it one night and the [fluted] post came out the next day.

Old August 5th 17, 02:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

Doug Landau wrote:

I do think Coca-cola worked for me once. I can't prove it. But I tried it one night and the [fluted] post came out the next day.

I just happen to have some old Pepsi. It's got phosphoric acid in it,
and I'll never drink the stuff, so maybe rotting out a stuck stem is
a fitting end for it 8-)

bob prohaska

Old August 5th 17, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Organic solvents DO NOT dissolve inorganic materials.

You stupid or what ?
Old August 5th 17, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Coke contains phosphoric acid used for cleaning concrete n tooth enamel...an inorganic solvent

Citric degreasers n anti freeze are organic solvents ... motor oil n antifreeze are organic...that is of plants or plant like synthetics.

30-40 years ago n then before oral hygiene , a cold coke washed your mouth then deposited a tasty cola mix on the buds. Trick, no ?

That bloromed, J, during the usual drug epidemic then 1880-1900 of the usual addictive pain killers n cocaine.

Pharmacy coke was maybe $10 Oz.

Snake oil wagons not sandwich trucks
Old August 5th 17, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.bing.com/search?q=organi...H &sp=1&ghc=1

https://www.bing.com/search?q=inorga...DB8CAF7F1010B1

Old August 6th 17, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bob prohaska

bob prohaska wrote:
I've got some modern Prestone, in both colors. I think my first bet will be
on heat and oil, but after that fails it'll be Pepsi and Prestone,
maybe with some heat for good measure.

Just to wrap the story up, the solution turned out to be a couple
pieces of angle iron, in fact an old bedframe.....

They were arranged as a sort of "crutch" alongside the steering tube,
with the ends tucked up against the fork crown and held in place with
a hose clamp. Turning the bike over and resting the crutches on the
garage floor gave enough support to let me drive the stem out using a
third piece of angle iron as a drift, under the "chin" of the stem..

The real surprise was how well the "crutches" supported the fork crown
against rather vigorous use of a sixteen ounce hammer. Aside from some
cosmetic damage no harm was done. I really didn't expect the setup to
work, but tried it in preparation for further efforts in the fall.

Once apart, no corrosion was found on the aluminum, but visible
rust from the steel formed a thin, adherent layer on the stem. A
very light cleaning and coat of grease restored a good fit of stem
in fork.

The puller arrangement was not strong enough; the chain began to
stretch before anything moved.

A few photos can be found at
http://www.zefox.net/~bob/bicycle/stempuller/

Thanks for reading, and everyone's wisdom!

bob prohaska

Old August 6th 17, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

The unit WAS lubed with antiseize

N mild heat would reduce the hammwring

Well thought out rig

Publish here as a standalone with a searchable title.

Old August 6th 17, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 04:15:44 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

bob prohaska wrote:
[...]

Congratulations.
--
Cheers,

John B.

New cranks loosen every 5 minutes? utemplarbond Unicycling 11 March 6th 08 08:58 PM
Stuck 1" Quill Stem RS Techniques 10 September 30th 06 07:01 PM
Hard Rubbish Bikes 101 - stuck stem DaveB Australia 35 June 24th 06 01:12 AM
Help: Stem Stuck in Steerer, Require Resources clumsymechanic Techniques 9 April 4th 06 02:55 AM
Stem spacers stuck J.L General 4 July 4th 05 10:28 PM