Adverts on roundabouts?

Old November 14th 05, 08:16 PM
Rich

Default Adverts on roundabouts?

I have been contacted by a local cyclist about advertising signs appearing
on roundabouts in our locality. He has contacted the local council, who
confirmed that they had approved the sign and were getting money for it.

Now all the guidelines that we have been able to find, including the
council's own policy, says that signs which might distract drivers should
not be allowed. The council's own policy says that "Only signs detailed in
the DfT's Traffic signs and Regulations and General Direction's document or
those which have the special permission of the DfT can be erected on the
highway."
They have obviously ignored this, and the Executive member for transport
refuses to take any action.

As we all know only too well, roundabouts are dangerous enough for cyclists
without distracting the drivers with adverts!

Has anyone else come across this one, and if so what happened? Did the
council remove the signs?

Old November 14th 05, 08:30 PM
Tumbleweed

"Rich" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

yes there have been a couple of huge signs near me (Reading area) recently,
those triangular ones that are towed behind a car, have been meaning to
complain to someone about it

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old November 14th 05, 08:38 PM

The idiots in Hull City Council have been putting advertising signs for
local companies on their roundabouts for years and refuse point blank
to remove them. The deal is that in return for the advertising the
company pays for the upkeep of the flower beds on the roundabout.

Come on! What's the safety of a few cyclists matter when the council is
getting a couple of extra quid in...

Time for direct action perhaps. Make up some boards reading 'Look right
for bikes' or similar, tape them over the signs and get the local paper
down for a photo opportunity!

Old November 15th 05, 12:41 AM
Peter Fox

Count me in on this one.

In my experience with Essex CC they couldn't give a [insert worthless
object... Prescott?] for the traffic signs regulations.[1]

FWIW the maximum size of lettering is 2"=50mm[From memory] if you can
find any larger than this then _if you are prepared to slog through the
procedures_ you can get the egg all over the faces of the council - more
people should do this ... but the oily *******s just carry on
regardless..

[1] Easily available on the web BTW in case you didn't know

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bridge building business collapsed

www.eminent.demon.co.uk - Lots for cyclists
Old November 15th 05, 05:48 AM
Not Responding

Rich wrote:
[...]

Hmm. We do this in Fareham. It saves the taxpayer a wad of cash and
makes the roundabouts looks far better than the wastelands they once
were. I'm in favour of both those positive outomes; reduces the impact
of the car infrastructure and moves (some of) the cost away from the
taxpayer who, in many cases is not even a car owner.

The signs we have are quite modest affairs and certainly unlikely to
cause a problem. How big are yours?
Old November 15th 05, 10:10 AM
Dan Gregory

Not Responding wrote:

The signs we have are quite modest affairs and certainly unlikely to
cause a problem. How big are yours?

If they're big enough to be effective as ads they are big enough to
distract drivers.......

Old November 15th 05, 12:28 PM
John Hearns

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:38:15 -0800, ukrc wrote:

Come on! What's the safety of a few cyclists matter when the council is
getting a couple of extra quid in...

Time for direct action perhaps. Make up some boards reading 'Look right
for bikes' or similar, tape them over the signs and get the local paper
down for a photo opportunity!

The roundabout at the southern end of Gallows Hill in Warwick has just
such a sign, reading something like "Look out for bicycles",
yellow with black text if I'm not wrong.
Pat on the back for the council who put it up.

Old November 15th 05, 02:19 PM

In article , John Hearns wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:38:15 -0800, ukrc wrote:

Come on! What's the safety of a few cyclists matter when the council is
getting a couple of extra quid in...

Time for direct action perhaps. Make up some boards reading 'Look right
for bikes' or similar, tape them over the signs and get the local paper
down for a photo opportunity!

The roundabout at the southern end of Gallows Hill in Warwick has just
such a sign, reading something like "Look out for bicycles",
yellow with black text if I'm not wrong.
Pat on the back for the council who put it up.

Isn't that likely to distract car drivers? ;-)

Paul
Old November 15th 05, 03:33 PM
BigRab

Isn't that likely to distract car drivers? ;-)

Some of the ones we have in East Kilbride are about 40feet long and 20
feet high!
Robert

Old November 15th 05, 04:01 PM
David Martin

BigRab wrote:
Isn't that likely to distract car drivers? ;-)

Some of the ones we have in East Kilbride are about 40feet long and 20
feet high!

And then there is Madonna's roundabout on the A9 (also known as the
'Paps of Glasgow' ) which is quite a distraction from certain
directions.

...d

Q: are adverts allowed here? Ric UK 24 July 12th 05 10:11 PM
The best place for adverts for bikes for sale in the UK is? Les Waters UK 8 January 27th 05 02:50 PM
New road hazard - fancy road markings at roundabouts Peter Fox UK 39 February 15th 04 02:16 AM
I hate roundabouts. Simon Mason UK 21 October 17th 03 01:48 PM
Roundabouts - how to take them? FM UK 14 July 23rd 03 12:15 PM