BB Shell Cracked! Is this just what folders do, with a 210 lb rider?

Old March 10th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default BB Shell Cracked! Is this just what folders do, with a 210 lb rider?

On the way to work this morning, I noticed my BB shell is cracked on
my BF folder:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bb_shell/

Regular RBTers know, I often carry 20-30 lbs cargo, 3 or 4 miles. This
frame is one year old, ~ 5,000 miles, commuting on city streets. I do
not jump off curbs, or anything like that. Is this the kind of damage
which can be expected with a folding bike, under this load? Or is this
frame defective (bad steel, something like that). Or is this
particular folder frame design simply undersized for the load?

I wanted to get the RBT experts opinion before breaking the bad news
to BikeFriday. They do warranty their frames for life, so I don't
expect a problem with them. But I am beginning to wonder if they know
how to build a custom folding frame, strong enough for the load. They
knew my weight and cargo beforehand, from many emails.

Thanks guys.

J.
Old March 10th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 10, 11:14 am, Jay wrote:
[...]

"Most Bike Fridays are designed with a rider weight limit of 220lbs."

Unless you got a custom frame, you exceeded the limitations clearly
stated in their literature and would be committing fraud by making a
claim--but you are a wingnut, so par for the course.
Old March 10th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Mar 10, 11:26*am, landotter wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:14 am, Jay wrote:

[...]

claim--but you are a wingnut, so par for the course.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks LO;

My frame is custom, which I mentioned in my post. A year ago, BF told
me my frame has been strengthened for my weight (compared with their
stock Pocket Tourist), and customized for my height.

Your wingnut pal - J.

Old March 10th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Jay wrote:
[...]

I'd begin with a conversation with Bike Friday since you're the original
owner. There's a measurable incidence of failure in every manufactured
thing and there are procedures to rectify them.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old March 10th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Mar 10, 1:36*pm, A Muzi wrote:
Jay wrote:
[...]

Open every day since 1 April, 1971- Hide quoted text -

I wonder if, truth to tell, BF really does not expect their bikes to
be ridden very much. And certainly not carrying the load we are
talking about. So they just do not have much experience building a
heavy duty folder, for 5,000 commuting miles yearly, carrying 230 lbs
(rider + cargo). I picked up my Electra today, and riding it is like a
Lincoln Towncar, compared with my folder. I don't expect to ride the
BF much in the future. It will be collecting dust in a corner of my
garage most of the time.

J.

Old March 10th 08, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-03-10, Jay wrote:

I wonder if, truth to tell, BF really does not expect their bikes to
be ridden very much. And certainly not carrying the load we are
talking about.

I think you need to cut them some slack. They target bike tourists, which
aren't generally known for being gentle on their equipment. And they offer
a lifetime guarantee, which would not be a prudent business decision if they
truly didn't know how to build a rugged frame.

My guess: you got a bum BB shell (it happens), which combined with your
weight and our loverly Chicago salt habit to creat the crack you now see.

I don't expect to ride the BF much in the future. It will be collecting
dust in a corner of my garage most of the time.

Maybe I should take it off your hands :-)

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old March 10th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Mar 10, 2:20*pm, Kristian M Zoerhoff
On 2008-03-10, Jay wrote:

I wonder if, truth to tell, BF really does not expect their bikes to
be ridden very much. And certainly not carrying the load we are
talking about.

I think you need to cut them some slack. They target bike tourists, which
aren't generally known for being gentle on their equipment. And they offer
a lifetime guarantee, which would not be a prudent business decision if they
truly didn't know how to build a rugged frame.

My guess: you got a bum BB shell (it happens), which combined with your
weight and our loverly Chicago salt habit to creat the crack you now see.

I don't expect to ride the BF much in the future. It will be collecting
dust in a corner of my garage most of the time.

Maybe I should take it off your hands :-)

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

That is tempting, but my strategy is to have at least one spare bike.
I am pretty sure I can work things out with BF. I am going to have
Rapid Transit Cycleshop do the parts transfer, since they carry BF. So
they would have some experience with them. Picking up my Electra from
RTC today, they have done a good job so far. I got the bike in 9 days,
when they originally said 2 weeks. There are a couple sped'ed parts
lacking, but they gave me the bike as it is, when I told them it is
either the Electra, or I am walking a significant distance every day.
So I will pick up the spec'ed parts when they come in.

I will only be riding the BF in nice weather, so that should take care
of some of the high maintenance I am seeing.

J.

Old March 10th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On 2008-03-10, Jay wrote:

On the way to work this morning, I noticed my BB shell is cracked on
my BF folder:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/bb_shell/

Regular RBTers know, I often carry 20-30 lbs cargo, 3 or 4 miles. This
frame is one year old, ~ 5,000 miles, commuting on city streets. I do
not jump off curbs, or anything like that. Is this the kind of damage
which can be expected with a folding bike, under this load? Or is this
frame defective (bad steel, something like that). Or is this
particular folder frame design simply undersized for the load?

It doesn't strike me as a particularly good design. Thin BB shell,
unbraced bracket mount, just asking for trouble IMHO.

--

John )

I think you are right, John. I have minimal experience with bikes, as
everyone here knows. But I just visually compared my new Electra with my
folder, and it is night and day. I do know they are designed for completely
different uses. But the Electra is obviously a very substantial, well built,
well designed bike, built to last (as Andre said). This folder frame, after
one year (5,000 miles), has an ovalized head tube and a cracked BB shell. I
have just about had it with BF. This frame was supposed to be customized for
my height and weight. It looks like someone did not do the math. Sure, I
suppose BF will honor their lifetime warranty on the frame. But who wants
this kind of inconvenience? I just want a bike which will do the job.
Replacing frames on a yearly basis is no one's idea of good custom bike
design.

OK, I am counting to ten, and taking a sip. I need to be completely calm
before I email BF with the bad news.

J.

Old March 10th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jay:
Is this the kind of damage
which can be expected with a folding bike, under this load? Or is this
frame defective (bad steel, something like that). Or is this
particular folder frame design simply undersized for the load?

I'm about 215# and I've cracked one BB shell on my MTB and
toasted three others on the same bike (Maverick removable BB
shell) by stripping the threads.
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 10th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Jay:
Is this the kind of damage
which can be expected with a folding bike, under this load? Or is this
frame defective (bad steel, something like that). Or is this
particular folder frame design simply undersized for the load?

I'm about 215# and I've cracked one BB shell on my MTB and
toasted three others on the same bike (Maverick removable BB
shell) by stripping the threads.
--
PeteCresswell

So you are saying, what I am seeing is normal wear and tear? We all know I
am not a bike expert - you need to speak to me, as you would an inquisitive
child.

I am not doing anything close to extreme riding. I am just commuting to
work, on city streets.

Confused J.

Help! Cracked BB shell lug! Scott Gordo Techniques 37 September 12th 07 05:58 AM
Of trailers and folders Richard Bates UK 3 February 23rd 07 10:22 PM
Folders ... ? elyob UK 46 September 5th 06 02:39 PM
cracked helmet shell dangerous? Ned Mantei Techniques 30 February 19th 04 03:39 AM
Rider of the Year 2003 - Most Promising Rider - Most Disapointing Rider Kenny Racing 64 October 30th 03 01:05 AM