It's raining--maybe I'll go riding

Old July 12th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default It's raining--maybe I'll go riding

Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
when I'm done.

Old July 13th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat in TX

Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
when I'm done.

You might be assuming too much. I was out on a charity ride and got stuck in
a sudden rain. The water goes down the seat tube and into the bottom
bracket. A couple of months later, hearing some rain stories, I decided to
check it and found the bottom bracket assembly had to be changed out because
it was rusted! I had to buy a new bottom bracket gizmo and use steel wool to
clean out the inside of the tubes where it was rusted.

Pat in TX

Old July 14th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Pat in TX wrote:
Was planning on riding in Central Park tonight but it's raining right
now and it doesn't look like it's going to stop by the time I get out
tonight. I'm assuming the wet isn't all that damaging to the bike, so
I think I'll go for it and then make sure I wipe the bike down good
when I'm done.

You might be assuming too much. I was out on a charity ride and got stuck in
a sudden rain. The water goes down the seat tube and into the bottom
bracket. A couple of months later, hearing some rain stories, I decided to
check it and found the bottom bracket assembly had to be changed out because
it was rusted! I had to buy a new bottom bracket gizmo and use steel wool to
clean out the inside of the tubes where it was rusted.

On most bikes, the water should not get into the frame tubes. On lower
quality bikes with tubular seatposts open at the top, the rear wheel
would sling water up to the seat's underside, and some would drip down
into the seat tube and bottom bracket.

Solutions to this are a cork in the top of the seat tube, and/or decent
fenders, or a more modern seatpost, sealed at the top.

ISTR some "fluted" seatposts could allow water to enter, perhaps if the
owner trimmed the bottom off to save weight. So don't do that.

But in general, bikes are quite weatherproof, especially if you run
fenders. I've spent many hours out in downpours (the latest being two
days ago) with no problems whatsoever.

- Frank Krygowski

Riding with North joe Unicycling 0 January 30th 05 02:51 PM
Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 05:58 AM
riding the whole Hudson River Ken Roberts Rides 33 October 25th 04 08:48 PM
MUni riding – Eastern Kentucky - weekend of April 23-25 billham Unicycling 5 January 26th 04 03:45 AM
Lights for Road Riding Ken Huizenga Techniques 278 January 22nd 04 02:04 PM