Wormdrive vs RR2P: need a c/cross tire that does not suck on pavement

Old May 9th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wormdrive vs RR2P: need a c/cross tire that does not suck on pavement

I've replaced RR2Ps with Maxxis Wormdrive that the Speeder T3
originally came
equipped with to do some mild offroading.
Now, I don't expect the RR2P level of grip but when I locked and slid
the FRONT
wormdrive with mild (straight) braking on asphalt that got me
thinking:
where could I get a cyclocross tire that does not suck?
Something that aproximates the level of grip pf road race 2 pro would
be nice
since I need to do some pedaling thru the outskirts of the city first
get to some unpaved dual and singletrack.
wormdrive is 700x32 and rr2p is 700x25 (took some doing to find them
in 25 :-)
I'm not using rr2p for offroading merely because I suspect that I'll
trash the mavic 22
rims quicker on tree branches, rocks etc due to 110psi in rr2ps
whereas i can go
as low as 50psi in a cyclocross tire.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.