OT but great

Old July 4th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default OT but great

In article ],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article
,
--D-y wrote:

On Jul 3, 1:29*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

Science says you've made a poor choice [sitting up higher v. lower COG).

Our Camry isn't much in the handling dept. as I found out, without
harm, when a bad (woman) driver in the next lane yanked it over
towards me at a very bad time. Not saying the Oddity is better, but
I'll take higher pending an exhaustive rbr crunching of impact-with-
injury statistics.

Another cool thing is the bike goes in the back, wheels on, and
another bike fits behind the front seats, wheels on.
If I were traveling to races, etc., we'd put some kind of interior
rack in there, I guess.
--D-y

Actually, as these things go, minivans don't have a horrible safety rep.
They're a far cry from some of the odd things that seem to go on when
certain types of pickups and SUVs crash, or to put it another way:
rollovers are serious crashes.

What did your Camry do?

I'm sorely tempted by the whole van-for-bikes thing, though I have to
say that when you look at the interior room in something like a Mazda5,
I think it would hold 2 people, 2 bikes, and luggage for a weekend
(well, I don't know if the rear seats come out of that).

I can fit a bike in my New Beetle, mind, plus I have a roof-rack that
allows it to impersonate the Barnum & Bailey Team Support Car. Two bikes
is a bit sloppy.

The number of not-especially-big wagons that will accommodate multiple
bikes in the back, laid flat, is vast. And trailers, btw, are awesome.

I like VW GTIs because you can fit a lot of stuff in 'em. Example: I can fold the
back seats down and put my bike in there, standing up, if I remove the wheels (yes,
it rests on the chainring). I'm probably going to get around to making a fork-mount
rack that'll attach to the back seats (in the folded position). I think I should be
able to make it fit at least three bikes and possibly four. This will include
something to rest the BB on.

--
tanx,
Howard

Caught playing safe
It's a bored game

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 4th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jul 3, 10:05*am, wrote:

Memories of 1961 or so, when my dad was assigned to USAEUR HQ in
Heidelberg, Germany. We got caught in the middle of a traffic jam
during one of the Berlin things, behind a tank with the cannon pointed
directly at us. They look bigger from that perspective.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Your story reminds me of an old army experience. I was always amazed
at how good the typical armor officer was at vehicle identification,
whereas most of us infantry officers weren't so good at it. My
approach was pretty simple: if armored vehicles are coming at you,
just check for the orientation of the turrets. If they're pointed
backwards, they're friendly. If they're pointed at you, they're not.
Old July 4th 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Howard Kveck wrote:

In article ],
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article
,
--D-y wrote:

[...]

Sweet. My Beetle has the same chassis as the GTI*, but its cargo space
is crippled by the style-mandated steeply sloping rear glass. I can't
stand a bike upright. I can barely put people over 5'6" in the rear
seats.

*It's a Golf chassis underneath. I think the wheelbase is the same as
the 3-door Golf, but all New Beetles so far are on the PQ34 (Golf IV)
chassis.

Great cycling jerseys some under $32. great Christmas [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 12th 07 06:40 PM
It's a great day! paul_g Unicycling 5 September 16th 05 04:49 PM
Great stuff looking for a great home... Jessica Cann Marketplace 0 March 11th 04 07:46 PM
Chilly Hilly - Great ride and great weather cheg General 5 March 1st 04 07:02 PM