dura-ace shifter cable housing q

Old September 25th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default dura-ace shifter cable housing q

does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 25th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 25 Sep, 01:12, Nate Nagel wrote:
does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

It could do. Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.
Old September 25th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

someone wrote:
On 25 Sep, 01:12, Nate Nagel wrote:
does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

It could do. Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

the reason I ask is I got it as a premade length with a plastic ferrule
at one end and a metal one at the other. no instructions.

nate

Old September 25th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

On 09/24/2009 06:21 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
someone wrote:
On 25 Sep, 01:12, Nate Nagel wrote:
does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

It could do. Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

the reason I ask is I got it as a premade length with a plastic ferrule
at one end and a metal one at the other. no instructions.

nate

put the metal end at the one with the most curve - derailleur.
theoretically anyway. makes no damned difference in practice.
Old September 25th 09, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 25 Sep, 02:21, Nate Nagel wrote:
someone wrote:
On 25 Sep, 01:12, Nate Nagel wrote:
does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

It could do. *Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. *Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. *Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

the reason I ask is I got it as a premade length with a plastic ferrule
at one end and a metal one at the other. *no instructions.

put the metal one at the derailler, if you solder the end of the
inner, you can swap the plastic ferrule for a metal one, when you have
it, without mucho problemo. If your not soldering up, put the plastic
ferrule at the derailler where it will not last as long but will be
easier to replace over a splaying inner. You can also epoxy inner
wires or use pvc sleeve off mains electric cable. Just realised, I'd
better source some red and black stuff because new cables are now
brown and blue sheathed.
Old September 25th 09, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

someone wrote:
It could do. Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

??
words fail.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 25th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

someone wrote:
It could do. Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

??
words fail.

If you drink a pint of boiled linseed oil, you will understand Trevor.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old September 25th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Sep 24, 6:12*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
does the metal ferrule go in the chainstay stop or the derailleur?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Goes into the derailleur to minimize crimping and hence drag there.
Old September 25th 09, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

someone wrote:
It could do. *Use at each end if there is room, epoxy them onto the
housing. *Dont worry if you havn't any epoxy. *Seems like a valid
technical reason, to save dropping them later.

??
words fail.

mmm.

I know what I meant at the time, and that is what matters.

more like: Epoxy your ferrules in place so that you dont drop them
when you are under stress, possibly on the road, at a later date.
Epoxy may also be of benefit in reducing play in the control system.
Old September 25th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Johnny Twelve-Point presented by JFT

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 07:47:24 -0700 (PDT), someone
wrote:

Epoxy your ferrules in place so that you dont drop them
when you are under stress, possibly on the road, at a later date.

I;m always impressed by the rugged adventures people in this group
have with their bikes.

Epoxy may also be of benefit in reducing play in the control system.