Shift upgrade

Old May 6th 21, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Shift upgrade

A pressing problem ripe for a new solution!

https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/30/pat...-brake-levers/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 6th 21, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 11:31:46 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
A pressing problem ripe for a new solution!

https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/30/pat...-brake-levers/

I suppose eTap is popular since it is 100% wireless so all you have to do it bolt it on and match the units and you're done. I so like the idea of the "new" Di2 where the battery and derailleurs are still wired since the battery lasts so damn long. And the hard part to wire is the levers anyway.
Old May 7th 21, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/5/21 4:31 am, AMuzi wrote:
A pressing problem ripe for a new solution!

https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/30/pat...-brake-levers/

I was recently reading about another problem that needed a new solution.
I think it was SRAM who have filed patents for an electro-mechanical
chainring gear changing mechanism that does away with the front
derailleur altogether. It has some kind of device outboard of the big
ring that can push the chain off and to the small ring, and anther
device that can pick the chain up off the small ring and deposit it on
the big ring. All controlled by wireless signals, servo motors and
sensors and powered by a battery that is integrated with the
crank/chainrings assembly.

Because they've realised 1x isn't enough?

And if you don't want a front derailleur but still want a bigger range
of gears...

I saw a re-hack of an internally geared hub with a 2 speed box that
takes an 11 speed cassette. Not SRAM.

Of course SA have had IGHs that take 8,9 & 10s cassettes for some time.

--
JS
Old May 7th 21, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/6/2021 8:59 PM, James wrote:
On 7/5/21 4:31 am, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It's been done, and very well thirty years ago:

https://www.mtb-mag.com/suntour-beas...llelettronica/

Old May 7th 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/6/2021 9:59 PM, James wrote:

And if you don't want a front derailleur but still want a bigger range
of gears...

I saw a re-hack of an internally geared hub with a 2 speed box that
takes an 11 speed cassette.Â* Not SRAM.

Of course SA have had IGHs that take 8,9 & 10s cassettes for some time.

On some century ride in the early 1980s I saw a guy on a small wheel
bike with a derailleur shifted freewheel, but a rear hub with a
strangely large diameter. Turned out it was a Sturmey-Archer 3 speed
with a threaded driver to mount a freewheel.

I remember thinking it was a cool idea, and eventually I acquired one of
the threaded drivers. But I've never made use of it. It's in one of my
parts boxes now.

Small wheel bikes do have difficulty getting gears high enough. Our
Bikes Friday have special Shimano Capreo cassettes that go as small as 9
tooth cogs, mating to triple cranks. I almost always ride in the big
chainring to minimize the use and wear of that tiny cog. I've got a
spare cassette, but it seems like the kind of thing that will someday
become unavailable.

If and when that happens, I may look into the S-A adapter again.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 7th 21, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 5/7/2021 5:51 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/6/2021 8:59 PM, James wrote:
On 7/5/21 4:31 am, AMuzi wrote:
A pressing problem ripe for a new solution!

https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/30/pat...-brake-levers/

I was recently reading about another problem that needed a
new solution.Â* I think it was SRAM who have filed patents
for an electro-mechanical chainring gear changing mechanism
that does away with the front derailleur altogether.Â* It has
some kind of device outboard of the big ring that can push
the chain off and to the small ring, and anther device that
can pick the chain up off the small ring and deposit it on
the big ring.Â* All controlled by wireless signals, servo
motors and sensors and powered by a battery that is
integrated with the crank/chainrings assembly.

Because they've realised 1x isn't enough?

And if you don't want a front derailleur but still want a
bigger range of gears...

I saw a re-hack of an internally geared hub with a 2 speed
box that takes an 11 speed cassette.Â* Not SRAM.

Of course SA have had IGHs that take 8,9 & 10s cassettes for
some time.

It's been done, and very well thirty years ago:

https://www.mtb-mag.com/suntour-beas...llelettronica/

I remember the Browning. I assumed it had problems, because if it
didn't, it struck me as an elegant design that should have taken off.
Clearly it didn't.

Does anyone have first-hand experience riding either the SunTour or
Browning iteration, or information about why it never went anywhere?

Mark J.
Old May 7th 21, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/7/2021 12:18 PM, Mark J. wrote:
On 5/7/2021 5:51 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/6/2021 8:59 PM, James wrote:
On 7/5/21 4:31 am, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I have. I am the absolutely least qualified man on earth to
critique mountain bike equipment but it did shift smartly in
every instance. We were advised,'try to make it fail'. I
could not.