Helmet type

Old April 1st 04, 04:23 PM
Succorso

Default Helmet type

Still waiting for the SPD's

I've decided to start wearing a helmet when cycling; purely as a
lawyer-speak avoidance measure ("...tsk tsk Mrs Smith, if *only* he'd
been wearing a helmet, we'd gladly pay the insurance... however..." blah
blah).

My question is this. Has anyone got any experience of using BMX style
helmets for general road use? When trying them on, I get a better fit
with them, compared to the normal "cycling" helmets; but my main concern
would be whether there's sufficient ventilation - I just wonder whether
they might get too hot'n sweaty.

There also seem to be fewer 'snag' points on a BMX helmet. If anyone saw
my shape - they would realise aerodynamics are NOT a factor here!

--
Chris

Old April 1st 04, 04:31 PM
Peter Clinch

Succorso wrote:

I've decided to start wearing a helmet when cycling; purely as a
lawyer-speak avoidance measure ("...tsk tsk Mrs Smith, if *only* he'd
been wearing a helmet, we'd gladly pay the insurance... however..." blah
blah).

In which case spend a roughly equivalent amount (quite possibly less) on
CTC membership, which will get you access to legal folk who know all
there is to know about that particular line in Complete Bollox (TM) as
part of the benefits, as well as contributing towards making sure it
doesn't become a popular legal wheeze through CTC's ongoing campaigning.

There are good reasons to wear helmets, but the above is not one of them.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 1st 04, 04:38 PM
Succorso

Peter Clinch wrote:

Succorso wrote:

I've decided to start wearing a helmet when cycling; purely as a
lawyer-speak avoidance measure ("...tsk tsk Mrs Smith, if *only* he'd
been wearing a helmet, we'd gladly pay the insurance... however..."
blah blah).

In which case spend a roughly equivalent amount (quite possibly less) on
CTC membership, which will get you access to legal folk who know all
there is to know about that particular line in Complete Bollox (TM) as
part of the benefits, as well as contributing towards making sure it
doesn't become a popular legal wheeze through CTC's ongoing campaigning.

There are good reasons to wear helmets, but the above is not one of them.

Pete.

You're quite possibly right Pete, but I have been the victim of
Insurance Co lawyers before - and am now probably over cautious. Either
way, I would spare my next of kin the need to fight...

--
Chris

Old April 1st 04, 04:48 PM
JohnB

Succorso wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

Succorso wrote:

[...]

Pete is absolutely right.
The CTC has already successfully fought off a number of attempts by the
insurance leeches and would do the same for you if you were a member, so
your next of kin would not need to worry.

John B

Old April 1st 04, 05:04 PM
Succorso

JohnB wrote:

Succorso wrote:

Peter Clinch wrote:

Succorso wrote:

[...]

Well it's certainly an option I hadn't considered; we already have
family membership - I just hadn't put 2 and 2 together

--
Chris

Old April 2nd 04, 07:16 AM
Martin Bulmer

In ,
Succorso expounded sagaciously:
Still waiting for the SPD's

I've decided to start wearing a helmet when cycling; purely as a
lawyer-speak avoidance measure ("...tsk tsk Mrs Smith, if *only* he'd
been wearing a helmet, we'd gladly pay the insurance... however..."
blah blah).

My question is this. Has anyone got any experience of using BMX style
helmets for general road use? When trying them on, I get a better fit
with them, compared to the normal "cycling" helmets; but my main
concern would be whether there's sufficient ventilation - I just
wonder whether they might get too hot'n sweaty.

There also seem to be fewer 'snag' points on a BMX helmet. If anyone
saw my shape - they would realise aerodynamics are NOT a factor here!

I wore a very cheap BMX type helmet for a while, with small round holes for
ventilation. Too hot. Makes a reasonable hanging basket, though.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

---

published helmet research - not troll Frank Krygowski Social Issues 1716 October 24th 04 06:39 AM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
First Helmet : jury is out. Walter Mitty General 125 June 26th 04 02:00 AM