Footwear for Cold Temperatures

Old February 9th 04, 03:13 AM
Robert

Default Footwear for Cold Temperatures

Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for
temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of casual cycling? I know when I
bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm fine.
I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a
better alternative? I would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend
money if I don't have to.
Old February 9th 04, 03:42 AM
mark

"Robert" wrote ...
Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for
temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of casual cycling? I know when I
bicycle a mile each way to the store in these temperatures I'm fine.
I'm wondering about 5 hours though. Does anyone know? Is there a
better alternative? I would prefer sneakers as I don't want to spend
money if I don't have to.

That depends on how good your circulation is, how your body tolerates cold,
how well fed and rested you are, and how the rest of your body is dressed,
along with a few other minor variables. If you're wearing a hat your feet
will stay warmer; dressing your entire body with wool or insulating
synthetics next to the skin will keep your feet warmer; wearing wool socks
instead of cotton will keep your feet warmer. Wearing cotton next to your
skin will keep your body cold, as will going without a hat. Keep these facts
in mind and you'll probably find that the shoes themselves are a pretty
minor factor at the temperatures you describe.
--
mark

Old February 9th 04, 04:05 AM
David Reuteler

Robert wrote:
: Will regular sneakers (like tennis shoes) be warm enough for
: temperatures 30-40F for 5 hours of casual cycling?

wear thick wool socks & you'll be fine. if it's wet stuff some plastic
bags over your socks and inside the shoes and probably also wear another
thin liner sock (i'd make it wool, but i'd make almost anything wool)
and there's no reason a toe-end style bootie wouldn't work (also in rain).

there's no appreciable difference in warmth between sneakers and the bike
shoes i usually wear. when it gets *REALLY* cold (-20F range) something
from these guys (www.redwingshoe.com) will work pretty well. bit heavy,
tho. ;-)
--
david reuteler

Old February 9th 04, 08:23 AM
Robert

"mark" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Robert" wrote ...
[...]

Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away
with cold, hurting feet. I will dress the rest of my body
appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into
trouble if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?
Old February 9th 04, 12:57 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
[...]

If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could
do some damage to your feet.

--
Dave Kerber
Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

Old February 9th 04, 02:47 PM
Pbwalther

I ride in moderately cold temperatures frequently for up to about 4 hours. I
wear cycling shoes. I have plastic covers and with wool socks, that works down
to about 38 degree farenheit reasonably well. However my toes get cold.

Here is a tip, if you get out a ways and your toes get cold, you can always go
into a convenience store, get a large drink and a paper, sit down (most have a
few little booths) and in about 20 minutes, your toes should be warm again.
With warm feet, you should be able to make it back OK.

However, the mid 30s and below seems to be more serious. I have a pair of
neoprene boots that I use for those temperatures.

Your experience maybe a bit better then mine. Cycling shoes restrict the
motion of the feet because of the rigid soles. Moving the feet some helps keep
them warm, I guess by promoting circulation. Anyway, I know this because I
unclick with my right foot when I stop at a light and keep my left foot clicked
in. My left foot always gets colder then my right foot. I have concluded that
the little flexing that my right foot gets when I am balancing my weight
against it is what makes the difference. So your tennis shoes, may work better
in the cold then bike shoes.
Old February 9th 04, 09:48 PM

Old February 10th 04, 12:20 AM
David Kerber

In article ,
tanford.edu says...

Thank you for your response. I just don't want to be 25 miles away
with cold, hurting feet. I will dress the rest of my body
appropriately but I'm not sure of the footwear. Could I get into
trouble if I wear sneakers in 30-40F?

If they got wet and cold, and stayed that way for 5 hours, you could
do some damage to your feet.

_ Trenchfoot? Not in 5hrs I think, frostbite is a
possiblity. Anyway as a backup, you can carry a pair of

Trenchfoot was the first thing that crossed my mind, but frostbite is
certainly more likely. Being wet makes is much easier to get cold.

chemical handwarmers. There are special shaped toe warmers as

I didn't know that; those would be handy if you got out quite a ways
before you discovered your feet weren't properly protected.

well. They make a big difference in that kind of weather
and will last until you get back. An extra pair of dry socks
in a ziplock is also good insurance.