No Fat Trucks

Old February 24th 04, 07:03 AM
Joe Pig

Default No Fat Trucks

The subconscious mind, once sold on the idea that bigger things are
better, will often override our best intentions. We, in turn, find
ourselves along for the ride, and as the things around us grow bigger,
so do we.

Check out this article http://www.NoFatTrucks.com/suvfat07.htm

site of my dreams!
Old February 26th 04, 01:22 AM
Chalo

(Joe Pig) wrote:

The subconscious mind, once sold on the idea that bigger things are
better, will often override our best intentions. We, in turn, find
ourselves along for the ride, and as the things around us grow bigger,
so do we.

Check out this article
http://www.NoFatTrucks.com/suvfat07.htm

site of my dreams!

There is a name for the mindset that says, "smaller is better". That
name is stinginess. If you were a big person trying to find a
comfortable fit in a stingy world, sizeist crap like that you are
shoveling would just be more of a dreadfully familiar irritant.

I grew too big for most cars (6'7") before I was allowed to drive one.
Now at 6'8" and about 400 lbs., I am constantly presented with "one
size" public accomodations that are not, in fact, accomodations to me.
I cope with the transportation ramifications of stingy design by
using a specially equipped motorcycle (and, of course, bicycles), but
if I wanted to drive a car, I would have a very short list of vehicles
from which to choose.

Some of those few vehicles would be full-sized trucks.

So before you go suggesting that SUV gluttony makes one fat, consider
that one who is fat for reasons other than gluttony might choose a
large, truck-based vehicle simply in order to fit into his or her own
car. That is the fault of the manufacturers and the sizeist society
at large, not of the big person who is making do.

Being big-- fat, tall, wide, heavy, or whatever-- is not wrong. You
should thank your lucky stars that most big folks have gentle and
patient dispositions when you insult them.

Chalo Colina
Old February 26th 04, 10:26 AM
Gooserider

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
(Joe Pig) wrote:

The subconscious mind, once sold on the idea that bigger things are
better, will often override our best intentions. We, in turn, find
ourselves along for the ride, and as the things around us grow bigger,
so do we.

Check out this article
http://www.NoFatTrucks.com/suvfat07.htm

site of my dreams!

There is a name for the mindset that says, "smaller is better". That
name is stinginess. If you were a big person trying to find a
comfortable fit in a stingy world, sizeist crap like that you are
shoveling would just be more of a dreadfully familiar irritant.

I grew too big for most cars (6'7") before I was allowed to drive one.
Now at 6'8" and about 400 lbs., I am constantly presented with "one
size" public accomodations that are not, in fact, accomodations to me.

400 pounds? So you eat 4000 calories a day, right? You're 6 inches shorter
than Shaquille O'Neal, and weigh 80 pounds more? Sure.....

Old February 26th 04, 11:20 AM
Badger_South

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:26:22 GMT, "Gooserider" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message
. com...
(Joe Pig) wrote:

[...]

Dude, Imagine the kind of BIKE he rides! It's gotta be the Hummer of
bicycles, eh? lol

http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/didi.html

-B

Old February 26th 04, 12:39 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:26:22 GMT, "Gooserider" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message
. com...
(Joe Pig) wrote:

[...]

Did you see the custom frame that Cannondale made for Shaq in the
current issue of Bicycling mag? They didn't give the size (at least I
didn't see it), but when they put one of the three copies of the frame
through their destructive test routine, they couldn't break it; the
machine was at its max output, and still couldn't break the frame.

newsgroups if possible).
Old February 26th 04, 12:55 PM
Peter Cole

"vic" wrote

The latest stats I could find say that 99% of US adult males
lie in the height range 5' 2" - 6' 3".

You are way up the top end of the curve for height
(along with about 1 in 10,000 of the population) , so it's not
surprising that you have had a hard time fitting in cars designed
for the majority.

It's poor economcs for general automotive manufacturers
to design their vehicles to accomodate the very top and tail of the
height curve: The middling majority would be forced to pay
for the extra metal and glass (plus the associated vehicle mass
and wind resistance), while gaining no real benefit from the
increased size.

All I can say is that I'm grateful for claustrophobics.

Peter (6'10") Cole

Old February 26th 04, 12:56 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 06:20:00 -0500, Badger_South
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:26:22 GMT, "Gooserider" wrote:

"Chalo" wrote in message
.com...
(Joe Pig) wrote:

[...]

Chalo is our resident destructive-testing expert. When he speaks of
the durability of frames, wheels, cranks, etc, I listen. The sorts of
loads he's capable of putting on stressed parts of the
bicycle--especially when he's pushing hard--really test the outer
limits.

-Luigi

Young cyclist killed Brian General 208 February 12th 04 12:09 AM
Bicycle Rack Mishaps? NYRides General 105 December 7th 03 03:42 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM