Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

Old December 11th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 10, 9:01*am, Duane Hébert wrote:
On 12/10/2010 10:56 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Dec 10, 8:55 am, Duane H *wrote:
On 12/10/2010 1:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Dec 9, 12:52 pm, Duane H * *wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:37 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

If that's the case, you are going to be ground meat whichever part of
the road you are using, since the truck will only have 9" each side in
the lane.

In which case I'm getting out of the way.

Onto the sidewalk again, eh?

Ground meat again eh? *If those are the two choices,
I know which I will take.

Hmm. *Given your fears, I suppose Quebec must have special Ground Meat
Crews to scrape away all the dead cyclists!

- Frank Krygowski

**** you.

+1
DR
Old December 11th 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Dec 10, 11:09*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

That's the deal -- the only reason why a general book on "bicycles and
the law" makes any sense is that in the United States, most states
have adopted some version of the Uniform Vehicle Code which has about
ten or so provisions relating to bicycles. *Most states have adopted
those provisions with changes, and in Oregon, significant changes.
And in Quebec, probably not at all. *Anyway, *I'm sure Bob would
appreciate your buying his book, but it would probably be meaningless
in Quebec, unless he has a section for each Canadian province.

I would skip his book and buy whatever the Province is publishing for
bicyclists. *Every government seems to have its bicycle book.

I agree, that's a minimal first step for someone willing to do a
little learning. I wonder how many cyclists ever bother to read
those?

Lots of people seem to assume they're expert cyclists, even though
they've never bothered to try to learn from anything other than their
own imagination. They think there's really nothing to learn about
bicycling.

Reading is the first step to doing better.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 11th 10, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/10/2010 10:42 PM, Dan 0vermĒn wrote:
[...]
You are on the verge of alienating just about*everybody* this time.
It is pathetic to watch you never give up trying to discredit
everything that doesn't say. "Frank is so right". Talk about
"assholeness". How pompous and presumptuous to assume what is
relevent to anyone else's life.[...]

What does it say when so many are perturbed by Frank Krygowski sticking
to his points, posting citations, etc, yet almost no one seems to mind
anonymous trolls who insult, post verifiable falsehoods, etc?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old December 11th 10, 06:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Dec 10, 9:30 pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/10/2010 10:42 PM, Dan 0verm n wrote:
[...]

You are on the verge of alienating just about*everybody* this time.
It is pathetic to watch you never give up trying to discredit
everything that doesn't say. "Frank is so right". Talk about
"assholeness". How pompous and presumptuous to assume what is
relevent to anyone else's life.[...]

What does it say when so many are perturbed by Frank Krygowski sticking
to his points, posting citations, etc, yet almost no one seems to mind
anonymous trolls who insult, post verifiable falsehoods, etc?

I like you, too, Tom - a lot. And I do feel bad about many of the
things I say. But I do think smarmy, personal derision is very bad
style - even or maybe especially in an argument. (Abuse is down the
hall :-)

Old December 11th 10, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Dec 10, 10:09*pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Look: When I take a typical bike ride, I'm probably passed by
hundreds of motorists. I know all about that situation. The typical
motorist around here probably doesn't pass even one cyclist per day.

Holy crap! No wonder you think you can get away with the **** you do.
On many of the roads around here a half hour drive would probably take
a driver past 50 or more cyclists. If even a few of them tried your
antics regularly there would be an army of hostile drivers. There are
roads here where there are no shoulders and it is NOT possible for a
driver to pass a cyclist without crossing into the oncoming lane, even
if the cyclist is riding safely competently, legally and courteously
at the right side of the road. Add a ****tard who thinks he is going
to dictate to the driver when it is safe to pass by riding in the
middle of the lane (forcing the driver completely into the other lane
in order to pass) and see if you don't encounter some overt
hostility.

He's not sure what to do.

But probably has a very good idea what he wants to do.

There's no question I know more than he does. *Why should I not be the
one making the decisions?

Thanks, Frank.We can now at least identify the limited group you look
down on and feel superior to. It is "OTHERS."

DR
Old December 11th 10, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Dec 10, 10:30*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 12/10/2010 10:42 PM, Dan 0verm n wrote:
* [...]

You are on the verge of alienating just about*everybody* *this time.
It is pathetic to watch you never give up trying to discredit
everything that doesn't say. "Frank is so right". *Talk about
"assholeness". *How pompous and presumptuous to assume what is
relevent to anyone else's life.[...]

What does it say when so many are perturbed by Frank Krygowski sticking
to his points, posting citations, etc, yet almost no one seems to mind
anonymous trolls who insult, post verifiable falsehoods, etc?

The disdain for Frank IS the precisely because of his insults and
posting verifiable falsehoods.
Was there some point you were trying to make?
DR

Old December 11th 10, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Dec 10, 8:14*pm, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " " wrote in

On 12/10/2010 3:20 PM, Duane H bert wrote:
On 12/10/2010 4:13 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 10, 11:18 am, wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:43 am, Frank wrote:

Vehicular Cycling pays minor lip service to 'looked but failed to
see'
incidents but insists, contrary to all statistical evidence, that
merely following the basic rules of the road for drivers of vehicles
will bestow upon one all the tools reasonably necessary to avoid
them.

Nope, that's a lie. We've been over this repeatedly.

If what you say were true, then the book _Effective Cycling_, the
pamphlet "Street Smarts" and the recognized cycling courses like Smart
Cycling by the LAB, the Florida Bicycle Association's "CycleSavvy"
course, Can-Bike's courses, and Franklin's _Cyclecraft_ wouldn't teach
things like instant turns, emergency braking and other crash avoidance
techniques.

Anticipation and crash avoidance (eg swerving and panic stops) are two
completely different animals.

If you're swerving or panic stopping, your anticipation has failed
you.

What does VC have to say about anticipating the mistakes of other road
users?

As with Duane, I can help you find a library if you like.

Your an idiot.

Correction: "You're an idiot".

Thanks. *So that should be "You're an idiot" then?

Well, not by himself. Tom is an idiot along with Frank.
DR
Old December 11th 10, 07:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On Dec 9, 12:52 pm, Duane H wrote:
On 12/9/2010 12:37 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:

If that's the case, you are going to be ground meat whichever part of
the road you are using, since the truck will only have 9" each side in
the lane.

In which case I'm getting out of the way.

Onto the sidewalk again, eh?

Ground meat again eh? If those are the two choices,
I know which I will take.

Hmm. Given your fears, I suppose Quebec must have special Ground Meat
Crews to scrape away all the dead cyclists!

- Frank Krygowski

**** you.

+1
DR

Good to see the maturity and civility of the group being preserved.

/sarcasm

Old December 11th 10, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 12/11/2010 12:01 AM, DirtRoadie wrote:
Holy crap! No wonder you think you can get away with the **** you do.
On many of the roads around here a half hour drive would probably take
a driver past 50 or more cyclists.

I doubt that I have passed 50 cyclists in a motor vehicle this year.