Article in Bike mag

Old September 9th 04, 06:53 PM
arlo

Default Article in Bike mag

I was in Barnes and Noble last night and happened across a well written
letter to the editor that I had to post about. I found it to be
entertaining and well written. Basically the guy was off to the side of a
trail politely waiting while some horseback riders came through. He had
just avoided a steaming pile of dung on the trail. One commented that
"people like you are the ones that ruin these trails" and he shot back with
"I can't remember the last time I took a dump in the middle of the trail
and left it for someone else to find"

Kind of a random post, but thought I would share.
Old September 9th 04, 07:32 PM
Ian M

arlo wrote:
I was in Barnes and Noble last night and happened across a well

written
letter to the editor that I had to post about. I found it to be
entertaining and well written. Basically the guy was off to the side

of a
trail politely waiting while some horseback riders came through. He

had
just avoided a steaming pile of dung on the trail. One commented that

"people like you are the ones that ruin these trails" and he shot

back with
"I can't remember the last time I took a dump in the middle of the

trail
and left it for someone else to find"

Kind of a random post, but thought I would share.

Round here (Calgary) the cause of trail ruination is frequently cows. A
lot more of them than horses with riders - which means a lot more of
the problem above, compounded by literally thousands of hoofprints in
the mud, squishy when wet, slow to ride over when dried hard.

Ian M

Old September 9th 04, 08:34 PM
slartibartfast

"Ian M" wrote in message

arlo wrote:
I was in Barnes and Noble last night and happened across a well

written
letter to the editor that I had to post about. I found it to be
entertaining and well written. Basically the guy was off to the side

of a
trail politely waiting while some horseback riders came through. He

had
just avoided a steaming pile of dung on the trail. One commented that

"people like you are the ones that ruin these trails" and he shot

back with
"I can't remember the last time I took a dump in the middle of the

trail
and left it for someone else to find"

Kind of a random post, but thought I would share.

Round here (Calgary) the cause of trail ruination is frequently cows.

Don't you mean "trail rumination"?

Old September 9th 04, 09:30 PM
Ian M

I think the spelling you were looking for would be rumentation LOL

Old September 9th 04, 10:31 PM
S o r n i

Ian M wrote:
I think the spelling you were looking for would be rumentation LOL

Dude. One sentence, featuring one word, and you screw it up?!?

Bill "kids today" S.

Old September 9th 04, 11:18 PM
Ian M

Bill, Dude, at 40 I haven't been accused of being a kid since ... never
mind!
yup, I screwed it up! the word I intended was rumenation ... I meant to
spell it wrong to highlight the joke, just not THAT wrong. glad to see
somebody is paying attention, obviously not me.

Ian M

Old September 9th 04, 11:21 PM
pas

Ian M wrote:
Bill, Dude, at 40 I haven't been accused of being a kid since ...
never mind!
yup, I screwed it up! the word I intended was rumenation ... I meant
to spell it wrong to highlight the joke, just not THAT wrong. glad to
see somebody is paying attention, obviously not me.

Ian M

It would be "rumination" "i" not "e".
;-)

Old September 9th 04, 11:30 PM
Ian M

Do a google search on "rumenation", you'll find they are mostly vet
science pages on digestion in cows and other such beasties. As I noted
above, the joke was about animals with rumens ruining the trails, hence
the deliberately unconventional spelling.
It might have been vaguely amusing if I had got it right the first time

Old September 9th 04, 11:37 PM
pas

Ian M wrote:
Do a google search on "rumenation", you'll find they are mostly vet
science pages on digestion in cows and other such beasties. As I noted
above, the joke was about animals with rumens ruining the trails,
hence the deliberately unconventional spelling.
It might have been vaguely amusing if I had got it right the first
time ...

yes, in US English the catergory of beast is "ruminants" with an "i"

"The first division of the stomach of a ruminant animal, in which most food
collects immediately after being swallowed and from which it is later
returned to the mouth as cud for thorough chewing. Also called paunch."

And I though paunch was another name for beer guy.

anyway, I'm sure we both have better uses of our time than this... like, for
example, I need to figure out how to pull a casette off of crappy-flat spot
rear wheel A and put in on hand built new rear wheel B that I was just
gifted with, without a chain whip. Any ideas?

;-)

Penny

Old September 9th 04, 11:54 PM
S o r n i

pas wrote:
I need to figure out how to pull a casette off of
crappy-flat spot rear wheel A and put in on hand built new rear
wheel B that I was just gifted with, without a chain whip. Any ideas?

Buy a chainwhip! (Or have Mr. Adventure make you one?)

Bill "it's a spot rear wheel? (please ignore ) " S.