Question about Race Tradition

Old July 20th 03, 10:10 PM
Stewart Fleming

Default Question about Race Tradition

TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

....if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

Old July 20th 03, 10:13 PM
Gerrit Stolte

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 09:10:16 +1200, Stewart Fleming
wrote:

TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

If they were name-calling xenophobes like you, probably.
Old July 20th 03, 10:20 PM
goulot

No, they would quit and spend the last day playing volley ball on the
beaches of Paris-Plage

Old July 20th 03, 10:46 PM
goulot

89

"Bruce Johnston" a écrit dans le message de

"Stewart Fleming" wrote in message
TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

What year was the last time the TDF winner was decided on the last day?

B-

Old July 20th 03, 10:46 PM
Keith

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 14:45:28 -0700, "Bruce Johnston"
wrote:

"Stewart Fleming" wrote in message
TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

What year was the last time the TDF winner was decided on the last day?

1989, but it was an ITT ;-)

B-

Old July 20th 03, 11:04 PM
Darren S.

"Bruce Johnston" wrote in message

"Stewart Fleming" wrote in message
TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

What year was the last time the TDF winner was decided on the last day?

Lemond/Fignon. But it was a TT.

D.

B-

---

Old July 20th 03, 11:28 PM
Callistus Valerius

If they were name-calling xenophobes like you, probably.

I'd crash into the kraut when he's drinking the champagne.

Old July 20th 03, 11:41 PM
benjo maso

"Darren S." wrote in message

"Bruce Johnston" wrote in message

"Stewart Fleming" wrote in message
TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is

procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage,

but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb

on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds

more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage?

Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

What year was the last time the TDF winner was decided on the last

day?

Lemond/Fignon. But it was a TT.

yeah, and before that it must of been a very long time. I will leave that
one for Masso.

Although my name isn't Masso, I can answer the question. In the history of
the Tour it happened only three times: in 1989 (TT), 1968 (also a TT) and
1947, when Robic (3d in the GC at 2'58") attacked 120 km before the finish
in Paris depriving poor Pierre Brambilla of the yellow jersey.

Benjo Maso

Old July 20th 03, 11:46 PM
Nick Burns

"Stewart Fleming" wrote in message
TdF tradition in recent years is that the final stage into Paris is a
procession and that no serious racing takes place until the
Champs-Elysees. I'm writing this before the Luz-Ardiden stage, but...

...if the prime German Sausage doesn't lose time up the final climb on
stage 15 and is sitting 15s down on Lance, then takes a few seconds more
in the last ITT on stage 19, what could happen on the last stage? Would
US Postal break with tradition and force the race on the last stage?

Many of these traditions that people keep referencing have no reason behind
them other than history. Historically there has usually not been sufficient
reason to attack on the last days because the GC has been firmly
established. For example, the yellow jersey going back to get water is
against tradition only because historically it would have been a back
strategic decision.

Any time there is a reasonable doubt as to the complete resolution of the
general classification, then that becomes sufficient reason to attack the
current leader.

In this case of 3 riders all within 1 minute of the lowest GC time, it would
be expected that any of the 3 would attack in order to become the final GC
winner. In other words, the expectation that Lance would launch an attack to
secure the jersey is as strong as the expectation that the other 2 would
attack in order to defeat him. This expectation remains until one of the
riders is firmly established as the GC leader or the end of the race, which
ever comes first.

Old July 21st 03, 12:45 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Nick Burns" wrote:

[...]

Very astute. The other problem, though, is that winning the
Champs-Elysee stage is the most prestigious non-jersey accomplishment
you can manage at le Tour. Since the stage profile is always flat and
short (just over 150 km this year), every team in the race is willing to
attack and nail breakaways in order to neutralize the race until the 10
laps.

It's possible that if the GC is close, there will be an early attack,
but there is little chance it will succeed, unless USPS or Bianchi is a
stronger team than I think.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club