Route advice for SE Wisconsin (Fox River Valley)

Old February 27th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

Default Route advice for SE Wisconsin (Fox River Valley)

Hey, all.

I'm in the early stages of palnning a ride with some friends from
their house outside Waterford, WI down to my place (Gilberts, IL)
sometime this coming summer. The route I've sketched out is around
65 miles or so, and follows the Fox River on mostly designated
Rustic roads from Waterford to south of Burlington, before we switch
to county roads. It's these county roads I'd like some advice on. I
have the Racine and Kenosha County Bicycling Maps, but I'd prefer
some firsthand information about the following roads:

Cr-KD from Rt 83 to Cr-F outside Twin lakes
Cr-EM from Cr-F to Cr-Z
Cr-Z from EM to Cr-HM
Cr-HM from Cr-Z to Cr-CK (State Line Rd)
Cr-CK from HM east to Zarnstoff Rd

I've got a passing familiarity with my route south of the IL-WI
state line, but if you've got a "must-ride" road in a corridor through
Johnsburg-McHenry-Crystal Lake-Algonquin, I'm all ears.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old February 27th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

On Feb 26, 5:21 pm, Kristian M Zoerhoff
wrote:
[...]

I've not ridden any of the routes you mentioned, but FWIW can offer
that Hwy 36 is an attractive option, especially from Waterford to
Burlington. It is the "busiest" road in that area, but not very busy
relative to the quality of the road, which is tremendous - double lane
divided highway with a full-lane wide paved shoulder. I've ridden it
a dozen or so times, and feel more comfortable there than on country
roads barely wide enough for two cars to meet. South of Burlington,
I've biked both 83 to the IL line, and 36/120 to Lake Geneva and on to
the IL line. Neither of these roads is of the quality of the road
north of Burlington, but they do have a 3 foot or wide shoulder
apron. I'm comfortable on them, but you do need a certain tolerance
of auto traffic that many bikers do not have, plus an ability to stay
consistently inside the white line. You could ride two abreast north
of Burlington, but would have to go single file south of there.

Old February 27th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-02-27, Ron Wallenfang wrote:

I've not ridden any of the routes you mentioned, but FWIW can offer
that Hwy 36 is an attractive option, especially from Waterford to
Burlington. It is the "busiest" road in that area, but not very busy
relative to the quality of the road, which is tremendous - double lane
divided highway with a full-lane wide paved shoulder. I've ridden it
a dozen or so times, and feel more comfortable there than on country
roads barely wide enough for two cars to meet.

Ah, I hadn't really considered 36, as we're starting a bit west of
Waterford, but if it's that good, it'd be well worth the short jaunt down
20/83 to get into town.

The route I had sketched is at http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=733729
as of about 2 minutes ago. A few extra miles won't kill us over the course
of a full day's ride, so this sort of detour is definitely an option.

South of Burlington,
I've biked both 83 to the IL line, and 36/120 to Lake Geneva and on to
the IL line. Neither of these roads is of the quality of the road
north of Burlington, but they do have a 3 foot or wide shoulder
apron. I'm comfortable on them, but you do need a certain tolerance
of auto traffic that many bikers do not have, plus an ability to stay
consistently inside the white line. You could ride two abreast north
of Burlington, but would have to go single file south of there.

I had no idea that 83 was /that/ good south of Burlington (it's OK north
of Waterford, but I don't think it's got a full 3-foot shoulder until
Mukwonago). I'm fine cycling in traffic under those conditions, but I'm
unsure about my partners, as I've not gotten a chance to ride with them
yet this season (they both took up riding fairly recently).

Based on this info, I might simplify my route to take 36 from Waterford
to Burlington, then 83 south to 50 before doglegging west to KD for the
ride into Twin lakes. My other option would be jog east on 50/83 to Fox
River Rd, and take that south, as it eventually converges with my initial
route at Johnsburg. The only downside is that the latter routing puts me
farther from the bike shop in Twin Lakes, should professional help be
needed by any of my party.

Thanks for the info!

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_
Old March 3rd 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Don Piven

Sez Kristian M Zoerhoff:
Hey, all.

I'm in the early stages of palnning a ride with some friends from
their house outside Waterford, WI down to my place (Gilberts, IL)
sometime this coming summer. The route I've sketched out is around
65 miles or so, and follows the Fox River on mostly designated
Rustic roads from Waterford to south of Burlington, before we switch
to county roads. It's these county roads I'd like some advice on. I
have the Racine and Kenosha County Bicycling Maps, but I'd prefer
some firsthand information about the following roads:

Cr-KD from Rt 83 to Cr-F outside Twin lakes
Cr-EM from Cr-F to Cr-Z
Cr-Z from EM to Cr-HM
Cr-HM from Cr-Z to Cr-CK (State Line Rd)
Cr-CK from HM east to Zarnstoff Rd

I've spent a lot of time in the Camp Lake/Silver Lake/Burlington area
and the Rustic Routes east of the Fox are *sweet*.

The route going into Twin Lakes is a little hilly, but nothing out of
the ordinary for that area, and it's quite nice in terms of scenery and
lack of traffic. Heading out of Twin Lakes toward Spring Grove, I would
probably do something on the order of taking EM south until you reach
County C; go east on C until you reach KD; south on KD to 125th St, east
on 125th until you reach Fox River Rd (near Gander Mountain), then S
across the state line (where Fox River Rd turns into Wilmot Rd) toward
Johnsburg.
Old March 4th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2007-03-03, Don Piven wrote:

I've spent a lot of time in the Camp Lake/Silver Lake/Burlington area
and the Rustic Routes east of the Fox are *sweet*.

Excellent. (best said in the voice of Mr. Burns)

Heading out of Twin Lakes toward Spring Grove, I would
probably do something on the order of taking EM south until you reach
County C; go east on C until you reach KD; south on KD to 125th St, east
on 125th until you reach Fox River Rd (near Gander Mountain), then S
across the state line (where Fox River Rd turns into Wilmot Rd) toward
Johnsburg.

I'll consider that change to the route. Thanks for the info!

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_