AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old August 22nd 16, 07:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

Default I ain't dead

On Sun, 21 Aug 2016 22:08:08 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:32:48 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Dye your hair :-)

That would emphasize the wrinkles and age spots.

I bleach it. So far, the bleach isn't taking.

I really don't now much about it and was only going by what my wife
tells me :-) She goes off to the "Beauty Shop" and comes back and says
things like, "Don't you think this makes me look younger?"

But, didn't the ladies that were plagued with off color hair use a
very light blue tint rather that a bleach?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 23rd 16, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 13:52:38 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But, didn't the ladies that were plagued with off color hair use a
very light blue tint rather that a bleach?

Blue rinse is for yellowed hair -- same as bluing in the laundry. Mine
refuses to turn white. All my sisters are entirely white, including
the baby. I'm still half-and-half.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old August 23rd 16, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

But, didn't the ladies that were plagued with off color hair use a
very light blue tint rather that a bleach?

Blue rinse is for yellowed hair -- same as bluing in the laundry. Mine
refuses to turn white. All my sisters are entirely white, including
the baby. I'm still half-and-half.

I wouldn't know about Laundry :-)

But my wife has somewhat lighter hair in the front than in the back
and what she does is dye the lighter part to more or less match the
darker part. Given that older women's hair is often not wholly red,
green, or blue the slight mismatch in shade is hardly noticeable :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 28th 16, 03:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Hooray for Norfolk Southern

When I go to the farmers' markets, I usually go to the fairgrounds
market first, then follow Market Street almost to the parked cars,
then zig over to the alley between Market and Center. Every time I
cross Hickory Street, I'm grateful that it was the railroad that paved
Hickory Street. Somehow Norfolk Southern didn't get the memo that it
is absolutely essential that the entrance to every driveway, parking
lot, and alley be blocked with a low curb, so I can wait until the
street is clear and roll across the intersection with my attention on
the traffic instead of on negotiating curbs.

Crossing Detroit Street, I get off and walk.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Old August 28th 16, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 23:06:19 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When I go to the farmers' markets, I usually go to the fairgrounds
market first, then follow Market Street almost to the parked cars,
then zig over to the alley between Market and Center. Every time I
cross Hickory Street, I'm grateful that it was the railroad that paved
Hickory Street. Somehow Norfolk Southern didn't get the memo that it
is absolutely essential that the entrance to every driveway, parking
lot, and alley be blocked with a low curb, so I can wait until the
street is clear and roll across the intersection with my attention on
the traffic instead of on negotiating curbs.

Crossing Detroit Street, I get off and walk.

Chalk up one cyclist with common sense :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old August 29th 16, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Water

On Sat, 06 Aug 2016 23:26:28 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Never carry an empty bottle away from a source of drinking water.

I'll confess to disobeying that rule twice in one trip.

On 19 July, I started off with one bottle of tea, one bottle of
switchel, and a bottle of ice and water in my cooler. I topped off
the tea and switchel at every drinking fountain I passed, so the ice
water was still untouched when I came to Pike Lake Park on my way
back. The tea bottle was empty, but I still had some highly-diluted
switchel.

I wasn't surprised that the water coming out of the fountain was hot
-- but I was surprised that the longer I ran it, the hotter it got.
When I got to feeling guilty about running so much water onto the
sidewalk, I filled the bottle and emptied it on the thirsty grass in
the pathway three times, and the water was still hotter than when I'd
begun. I concluded at this point that the water couldn't be coming
directly from an underground pipe and began to entertain serious
doubts about its potability. I filled up the empty bottle in case I
got desperate, but didn't contaminate my partial bottle.

When I got to Owen's East, I dumped the now-lukewarm water on some
grass that wasn't nearly as thirsty as the grass in Pike Lake Park,
drank the half inch remaining in the ice-water bottle and refilled it
at Owen's drinking fountain, and brought the other two bottles home
empty.

A bottle had been lasting me half an hour, it was a fifteen-minute
ride, and I would pass two more drinking fountains.

-----------

On a recent ride, I stopped at the same fountain just to check: to my
surprise, it ran cold from the get-go. And the sidewalk wasn't wet,
suggesting that it hadn't just been run out cold.

I didn't top off my bottles.

Old August 29th 16, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Twenty-first Century Switchel

Now that switchel season is over and I'm all out of ginger root, I've
figured out how to use fresh ginger to flavor a drink: cut a very
small piece of root into thin slices, whiz into a pint of water, chill
overnight, strain into bottle.

Verra simple, and I hope I remember this next spring. If I want
starch in the drink, I can extract the ginger with oatmeal water.

Old August 29th 16, 08:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 02:57:19 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Now that switchel season is over and I'm all out of ginger root, I've
figured out how to use fresh ginger to flavor a drink: cut a very
small piece of root into thin slices, whiz into a pint of water, chill
overnight, strain into bottle.

Verra simple, and I hope I remember this next spring. If I want
starch in the drink, I can extract the ginger with oatmeal water.

For whatever it is worth my fife chops the ginger into small pieces
and than bashes them with the side of a cleaver and then puts them
into the whatever.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 4th 16, 01:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Sidewalks

We go on and on about the dangers of sidewalks because the
uninstructed newbie thinks that sidewalks are extra, extra safe, and
makes every ride into "pop unexpectedly into path of car, repeat",
varied occasionally by running down a pedestrian.

A while back I ran into a situation where riding on the sidewalk
really was safer than riding in the roadway.

While approaching Buffalo on my way to Marsh Supermarket, I remembered
that I was curious about an establishment a block or two south, so
when I got to the intersection, I turned left.

At this point, Buffalo Street is also SR 15, which is the primary
north-south route west of Fort Wayne and east of Plymouth. Four lanes
are just barely adequate for the traffic where 15 runs along Detroit
Street, but where Buffalo crosses Prairie, it's all funneled into an
ordinary city street -- and there's no place for local traffic to go
to avoid the congestion.

Throttling one lane down to the speed of a bicycle -- even one not
ridden by an arthritic old lady who is looking for an address -- would
create an embolism that would have far-reaching consequences, so I
steered up the first wheelchair ramp that I saw.

There's no risk of inconveniencing pedestrians here, because there
aren't any. There's no need to get off to cross streets because, for
the same reason that the road can't be widened, there are no cross
streets.

There are lots and lots of driveways, so I proceeded at walking pace
to give myself plenty of time to look for vehicles that might want to
enter or leave a parking lot.

And I stopped at the first bench I saw to change into walking shoes.

A few weeks later the establishment I'd been curious about advertised
a charity "garage sale" of worn uniforms. (Alas, all the pants were
blue jeans. I kinder wish I'd bought one of the carbon-fiber lab
coats.) This time I walked all the way.

It helped that, having come from the courthouse-square farmers' market
instead of having just circumnavigated the lake, I was already wearing
walking shoes. And from that direction it's possible to get into the
car-wash parking lot from the back, which shortened the distance I
needed to walk.

Alas, prolonged study of my map confirmed that the only way out was
back the way I came.

Old September 5th 16, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

================================================= =====================

A few weeks later the establishment I'd been curious about advertised
a charity "garage sale" of worn uniforms. (Alas, all the pants were
blue jeans. I kinder wish I'd bought one of the carbon-fiber lab
coats.) This time I walked all the way.

It helped that, having come from the courthouse-square farmers' market
instead of having just circumnavigated the lake, I was already wearing
walking shoes. And from that direction it's possible to get into the
car-wash parking lot from the back, which shortened the distance I
needed to walk.

Alas, prolonged study of my map confirmed that the only way out was
back the way I came.

I've always thought that sidewalks were for pedestrians and if one
wanted to use them while cycling than one should, perhaps, get off and
walk, or if there was little pedestrian traffic perhaps ride at
walking speeds.
--
cheers,

John B.