AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old September 26th 16, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Seasons changing?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:03:15 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

I don't do "do-rags."

As far as I know, I'm the only bikie to wear one. My ears ache if I
allow wind to blow on them, and a white linen do-rag is the easiest
way to cover them without undue insulation.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old September 26th 16, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

I don't do "do-rags."

As far as I know, I'm the only bikie to wear one. My ears ache if I
allow wind to blow on them, and a white linen do-rag is the easiest
way to cover them without undue insulation.

Not really. I've used one for several years now :-)

After many years of working in tropical sun I have considerable sun
damage to my skin in various areas and the do-rags my wife makes for
me are big enough to cover the tops of my ears and have a flap to
cover the back of my neck.

What might be called arm-wormers but are actually sun-sleeves are
almost universally worn as soon as the sun gets up in the sky.

Women cyclists go even further. they wear ankle length tights, long
sleeved jerseys and a head cover that is essentially a "balaclava"
made from a stretchy colorful fabric.

As in other Asian countries black is not beautiful :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old September 27th 16, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:16:52 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Women cyclists go even further. they wear ankle length tights, long
sleeved jerseys and a head cover that is essentially a "balaclava"
made from a stretchy colorful fabric.

All my ankle-length tights are winter wear, but I'm about to change
from my long-sleeved summer jersey to my short-sleeved fall jersey.

Just DuckDucked: there *is* a hijab store in Fort Wayne, quite close
to the big malls. If I ever figure out how to get to Fort Wayne, I'll
have to look into it.

Old September 29th 16, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

Just today I was admiring the brilliant yellow silkiness of the
windbreaker that has been hanging on a hook in the garage all summer.
Alas, it won't be long before I have to start carrying it everywhere.

Old September 29th 16, 08:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:33:37 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Old September 29th 16, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 29th 16, 03:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

.... and no, we did not carry rain gear. :-(

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 30th 16, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 06:57:01 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

I usually look west.

--
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old September 30th 16, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

I usually look west.

That doesn't work well early in the morning :-)
--
cheers,

John B.