AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old January 15th 17, 04:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Aggravation

The kind of weather that makes you wear thick mittens that make it
almost impossible to get a handkerchief out of your pocket is also the
kind of weather that makes you need to blow your nose every few
minutes.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old January 15th 17, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Joy Beeson wrote in
:

The kind of weather that makes you wear thick mittens that make it
almost impossible to get a handkerchief out of your pocket is also the
kind of weather that makes you need to blow your nose every few
minutes.

My sinuses tend to run like open taps in cold weather, but I have found that
close-fitting sports glasses that slow the movement of air around the eyes
and a helmet liner pulled down almost to the eyebrows help. Those plus, the
ability to use the world as a handkerchief (farmer's/soldier's "field
sneeze")--you just have to consider the wind so you don't get snot all over
your trousers or your bike.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 22nd 17, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: I charged a winter hill

"Never charge a winter hill."

But it isn't exactly winter out there -- the high was fifty-six F, and
I got my silk shirt sweaty.

And McKinley Street isn't exactly a hill; it climbs the edge of the
depression in which Winona Lake sits, so there isn't any other side.

I have come to realize that I need to practice riding faster, but on a
short excursion entirely on city streets, there would be no
opportunity to shift onto the big ring. Then as I was wending my
usual relaxed, leisurely way up McKinley Street: here's your chance!
You don't need the big ring, just shift out of granny!

I never got to actually standing on the pedals, but it established the
principle. On the return trip, I also charged the slight upslope
where Park Avenue crosses Cherry Creek.

Old January 24th 17, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Saturday, January 21, 2017 at 8:26:02 PM UTC-8, Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

Fifty-six is the temperature at which you would normally start a day with shorts and short sleeved jersey. So that's hardly a "cold winters day". Around here for months it's been 40 degrees and seldom getting over 52 or so. This means that like you I become warm ONLY when climbing and then arrive home freezing to death able to warm up only in a hot shower.
Old January 29th 17, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Saturday

Saturday is my day to ride, and the Winter Farmer's Market was open.

I chickened out of riding and went for a walk, so no ride report. (And
I'm too sleepy to write one anyway, having missed my nap today.)

There is nothing in the buffer and very little in the drafts folder.

Talk among yourselves.

--
Joy Beeson, U.S.A., mostly central Hoosier,
some Northern Indiana, Upstate New York, Florida, and Hawaii

Old January 29th 17, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

wrote in
:

[...]

For the rest of the world, 56F would be 13 C. I might wear light long
sleeves, but certainly shorts, otherwise I overheat.
Old January 31st 17, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Got around to updating my training log. Here's an excerpt.

Saturday was Winter Market Day, so I intended to do a Tour d' Warsaw,
but the night before I didn't trust the weather — not to mention that
I haven't any decent wool tights and have to improvise with layers of
sweat pants — so I loaded the pockets of my walking pants instead of
preparing the bike. I also emptied the Trafalgar bag to carry along
in case I bought something.

Of course, it turned out to be a perfect day for cycling. But,
perhaps, not a good day for going into heated rooms while dressed for
cycling.

I parked at the library. Google Maps — or was it HereWeGo? — said it
was half a mile to the Central Park Pavilion, where the Winter Market
is held. I walked through the park instead of taking Google's route,
but I came back by Buffalo Street, and after I checked out _Clouds of
Witnesses_, I walked to the dollar store on Market Street, so I walked
at least a mile. And the library's books are up a flight of stairs.

Also, I circumnavigated the court house and climbed the stairs to all
three entrances, and went down and up the few steps to the two
basement entrances. On the west side of the basement, I went up only,
having come in by the handicap ramp, which is level with the sidewalk.
The lawn doesn't seem to slope all that much, but it's only three or
four steps down to the basement doors. I tried all the doors except
the handicap door; it's controlled by a button, and I was afraid it
might work. (The basement doors are under the stairs to the main
doors.)

I had intended to sit for a while at the Winter Market, but the chairs
had been removed, so I did one lap around the room and left. I
briefly considered buying a focaccia, but the vendor wasn't around,
and I didn't really want it if I couldn't eat some on the spot.
(Standing while eating aggravates meralgia paraesthetica.)

There were no votive candles at the dollar store, so I bought a
package of tea lights. They appear to be larger than the lights we
burned up de-paintfuming the hall halfbath. I'll continue to look,
because twelve-hour candles are more convenient for the Fourth Of July
cheese dip. (I think that the Fourth is on July first this year.)

The following day, I walked a mile getting to church and back, and not
only climbed to both tower rooms and did some upper-body in each, but
went down the concealed half of the Club 56 steps slowly, and walked
up them in reverse a couple of times.

No steps of any sort today, and I didn't walk any farther than to the
compost heap. Also planning to stay home tomorrow.

Old January 31st 17, 08:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 00:19:50 -0400, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

What is this "de-paintfuming"? Does the candle get rid of paint odors?
Or are they something like perfumed candles and just mask the bad
smell?

By the way, "the fourth of July falls on the first this year"?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 31st 17, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 14:34:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:

What is this "de-paintfuming"? Does the candle get rid of paint odors?
Or are they something like perfumed candles and just mask the bad
smell?

An open flame is a classic way to get rid of odors -- Mom used to
strike a match and wave it around the kitchen when a puff of LPG
escaped the stove. So after a week or two of keeping the door closed
and the exhaust fan running failed to dispell all of the stink, we
started leaving a lit candle in the room. *Un*scented, because the
resident engineer is allergic to perfume, and I've come to strongly
dislike the stench.

Ob bicycles: I grew up with gas stoves, and developed an instinct: if
you smell gas, you Do Something, and you do it Right Now.

Every time you turn a gas flame on, a teeny little puff of gas escapes
into the room.

When there is only one stove in the room, you'll never notice unless
something goes wrong, but the Youth Hostel tour of southern England
stopped one night in a hostel in which the kitchen featured at least
twenty gas hot plates. (Well, a hot plate is electric and portable,
but independent burners are the same idea.)

One puff is subliminal; twenty . . . I was quite distraught the whole
time I was cooking, and everyone within earshot of me was fed up.

By the way, "the fourth of July falls on the first this year"?

On Lake Winona, Independence Day is always celebrated on a Saturday,
usually the Saturday nearest the fourth. I think we did celebrate on
the actual day the year it fell on a Friday.

Warsaw and Winona Lake hire a pyrotechnic firm to anchor two barges in
the middle of the lake, and people gather around the shore to watch
the show. I believe that the grandstand at the fairgrounds offers a
particularly-good view. My back yard also provides an excellent view,
since we are right next to the creek that is filling in the lake, and
part of our lawn used to be a sand bar. People also gather in the
town park next door. Most of the pontoon boats with access to the
lake show up -- for us, part of the show is the red and green lights
headed for port after the finale -- and a small airplane circles the
lake the whole time.

I attempted to find out this year's date, but all of the official
pages of both towns were created by "professional Web designers". I
might find something in the council-meeting minutes.

There is also a concert at the Hillside (outdoor theater) before the
fireworks, and at least one family reunion before the concert. When
the church also holds a picnic after services the following day, it
makes a very exhausting week, but I think we've given that up.

Old February 1st 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

What is this "de-paintfuming"? Does the candle get rid of paint odors?
Or are they something like perfumed candles and just mask the bad
smell?

An open flame is a classic way to get rid of odors -- Mom used to
strike a match and wave it around the kitchen when a puff of LPG
escaped the stove. So after a week or two of keeping the door closed
and the exhaust fan running failed to dispell all of the stink, we
started leaving a lit candle in the room. *Un*scented, because the
resident engineer is allergic to perfume, and I've come to strongly
dislike the stench.

Interesting. I had never known that.

Ob bicycles: I grew up with gas stoves, and developed an instinct: if
you smell gas, you Do Something, and you do it Right Now.

Every time you turn a gas flame on, a teeny little puff of gas escapes
into the room.

When there is only one stove in the room, you'll never notice unless
something goes wrong, but the Youth Hostel tour of southern England
stopped one night in a hostel in which the kitchen featured at least
twenty gas hot plates. (Well, a hot plate is electric and portable,
but independent burners are the same idea.)

Gas Hotplate. Do you mean a single burner gas stove? As in
http://tinyurl.com/zh9bx2u
or an actual hot plate as in http://tinyurl.com/j7phvso ?

[...]

That is done here on the Chao Paya river for New Years although I
believe this year they were cancelled in mourning for the King.