Dmitri Neliubin killed on New Year's Day

Old January 4th 05, 02:49 AM
Carl Sundquist

Default Dmitri Neliubin killed on New Year's Day

Cyclingnews.com lead story for January 4th.

Similar to what information was in the story, Nelubin was one of those
prodigy juniors, much like compatriots Ekimov and more recently Markov. All
trained by Kusnetsov. Nelubin rode Superweek in 1993.

Several years ago went back and forth whether Ekimov became less disciplined
for some years after moving from the Soviet team to a Western team. I didn't
believe it was the case. I think by then, Ekimov had seen a lot of the world
and and was already 24 years old. Nelubin, OTOH, was about 20. Both were
extremely talented, but I think Ekimov's relative maturity played a big part
in his longevity in the sport.

Didn't Dave Rayner suffer a tragic end under similar circumstances?

Old January 4th 05, 06:13 AM
Stewart Fleming

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Didn't Dave Rayner suffer a tragic end under similar circumstances?

Similar circumstances, yes. Dave Rayner was a very talented young rider
who was killed outside a nightclub in 1994 just as he was on the verge
of breaking into Europe. An amazing natural talent. The memorial fund
that was set up has raised a lot of money to support young riders.
http://www.daveraynerfund.freeserve.co.uk/web1.html
Old January 4th 05, 08:31 AM
armstrong

It was, I remember it being 3-4 deep around the boards and the stands being
completly full. It was loud also. I also remember racing the 10 mile and I
think it was Carl on the front for about 8 of those 10 miles going at about
35 mph!

TA
"johnpwalrod" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Carl,
Didn't that whole crew also come and race in T-town in 1988 or so? I
think I remmeber that from when i was a little kid - just about the
biggest crowds that Ttown ever had came out to watch the US vs USSR.
JW

Old January 4th 05, 02:10 PM
Steve McGinty

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 20:49:04 -0600, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

Cyclingnews.com lead story for January 4th.

Similar to what information was in the story, Nelubin was one of those
prodigy juniors, much like compatriots Ekimov and more recently Markov. All
trained by Kusnetsov. Nelubin rode Superweek in 1993.

Several years ago went back and forth whether Ekimov became less disciplined
for some years after moving from the Soviet team to a Western team. I didn't
believe it was the case. I think by then, Ekimov had seen a lot of the world
and and was already 24 years old. Nelubin, OTOH, was about 20. Both were
extremely talented,

Umaras, Kasputis, Ekimov and Neliubin - that was quite a squad...

Regards!
Stephen

Old January 4th 05, 08:45 PM
Carl Sundquist

"armstrong" wrote in message
It was, I remember it being 3-4 deep around the boards and the stands
being
completly full. It was loud also. I also remember racing the 10 mile and
think it was Carl on the front for about 8 of those 10 miles going at
about
35 mph!

TA
"johnpwalrod" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Carl,
Didn't that whole crew also come and race in T-town in 1988 or so? I
think I remmeber that from when i was a little kid - just about the
biggest crowds that Ttown ever had came out to watch the US vs USSR.
JW

Ok. That's enough stroking for today otherwise I'll turn into Al Bundy.
Cripes, that was 17 years ago.

Jerry Lace and Mike Plant had been nurturing a relationship with the Soviet
team for a year or two. It probably began back when Lace took over the ED
position after Dave Prouty resigned and the USSR held the first Goodwill
Games and Worlds were in Colorado Springs (1986). Following the 1987 worlds
and pre-olympic race in Korea, there was a made-for-tv event on the LA
Dominguez Hills track in October 1987 with the USA vs. the USSR. There were
some common events and some uncommon ones, like a 14 rider per team (men and
women) Italian pursuit (kind of like a modern Olympic sprint, lead rider
pulls for one lap, then drops out). In 1988, the Soviets came over in May
for a few weeks for three races, so we got to know each other pretty well.
First was a just a regular Friday nite T-town race with a few extra events
like the kilo and pursuit, then the same in Indianapolis a week later. The
last event was a one-off race in Las Vegas, the LV Sports Festival. It was a
circuit race, about 109 degrees in the shade. Doug Shapiro rode away solo
and lapped the field for the win. A lot of this was promoted as a Cold
War/Olympic Games buildup. But IIRC, George Taylor, a sports marketing guy
from NY with Dutch connections was trying to get the USCF's help to broker a
deal for Ekimov to sign with Panasonic. George and his wife were also the
forces behind the Sunkyong team in the late eighties that had a _lot_ of
name riders like Mike McCarthy, Shaun Wallace, James Urbonas, Matt Willis,
Nate Reiss, and John Tomac. They had a women's team too, but the name
escapes me at the moment. Twigg rode for them. I think Hennie Top did, too.

Old January 5th 05, 05:11 PM
Richard Sachs

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message
snipped:
"They had a women's team too, but the name escapes me at the moment.
Twigg rode for them. I think Hennie Top did, too."

was it Wait Watch Her's?
e-RICHIE

Old January 5th 05, 05:24 PM
Carl Sundquist

"Richard Sachs" wrote in message
snipped:
"They had a women's team too, but the name escapes me at the moment.
Twigg rode for them. I think Hennie Top did, too."

was it Wait Watch Her's?

No. I later remembered it was Celestial Seasonings.