Eugene council moves to prohibit motorized scooters on bike paths

Old September 20th 04, 03:15 AM
Bob Anderson

Default Eugene council moves to prohibit motorized scooters on bike paths

http://www.registerguard.com/cgi-bin...ate=200409 16

www.registerguard.com | © The Register-Guard, Eugene, Oregon

September 16, 2004

Eugene council moves to prohibit motorized scooters on bike paths
By Joe Harwood
The Register-Guard

Concluding that motorized scooters just aren't right for the city's off-street bike paths,
the Eugene City Council on Wednesday began a process to ban the vehicles.

Councilors unanimously directed city staff to draft an ordinance forbidding any "motorized
transportation devices" on Eugene's 32 miles of bike paths. The ordinance would affect
only off-street paths, not on-street bike lanes. The ban would include electric- and
gas-powered scooters, the so-called "pocket bike" miniature motorcycles, and bicycles with
electric motors to assist weary riders.

Electric wheelchairs and other equipment used by those with limited mobility would be
exempt from the ordinance.

The council has been working on the issue since June, prompted by complaints from
residents about the scooters on the city's bike paths and bike lanes. The biggest issues
cited by residents are noise, fumes from engines and the speed of the machines.

The scooters look like skateboards with handlebars, have small, rear-mounted two-cycle
engines, and in some cases, have seats. The explosive popularity of the inexpensive
scooters and the minimotorcycles has led cities across the nation to institute
prohibitions or restrictions on their use.

Councilor David Kelly asked the council to make a distinction between the electric and gas
engines when considering the prohibition, noting the electric-powered scooters and cycles
are nearly silent.

"If the issues are noise and pollution, electric is as noisy as an errant fluorescent
bulb," Kelly said.

Eugene police Sgt. Derel Schulz said police would have a tough time distinguishing between
gas-powered devices and the electric models, adding that many of the electric versions can
easily exceed the city's 15 mph speed limit for the bike paths.

"People here are passionate about protecting those paths for their intended use," he said.
And that use, at least for most people, translates to human-powered means of
transportation, he said.

Schulz also said using the term "motorized transportation devices" in the ordinance would
act as a catch-all as new and faster devices come onto the market.

Asked by Councilor Jennifer Solomon whether police would reach out to middle and high
schools to educate kids and parents about the ban, Schulz said those efforts are already
under way. Schulz said his research indicates the majority of motorized scooter riders are
not teenagers, but adults using the contraptions to commute.

Kelly and Councilor Bonny Bettman urged the council to provide a method to upgrade
on-street facilities for scooters and other devices affected by the ban.

"If we're going to displace scooter users from bike paths, we need to step up for
on-street facilities," Kelly said.

Council member Betty Taylor, as she has since June, urged her peers to prohibit the
devices in bike lanes as well. "We don't want people to be afraid of using the bike
lanes," she said. Her more restrictive plan did not garner support from other councilors.

The ordinance also would require retailers selling the devices to disclose the rules to
buyers.

Those regulations include a speed limit of 15 mph, riders must be 16 years old and wear a
helmet, and scooters are prohibited on sidewalks, off-street bike paths and all city park
paths.

City staff members have surveyed bike path users, including motorized scooter riders, to
determine how to approach the issue. A forum was held last month, and a public hearing on
the proposed ordinance will be held in the future to make sure University of Oregon and
Lane Community College students have a chance to comment.

Wednesday's noon work session reverberated with chants and applause from a City Hall rally
attended by an estimated 300 city workers represented by the American Federation of State,
County and Municipal Employees Local 1724.

The union, which represents about 670 city workers, and the city held their first
mediation session Wednesday afternoon. The two sides are at loggerheads over retirement
contributions, health care and cost of living adjustments.

Union officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday evening. City Manager Dennis
Taylor declined to comment on the rally, but said he respects the collective bargaining
process and he expects the union and city to reach an agreement.

---
"BitwiseBob" - Bob Anderson
Eugene Oregon
Old September 20th 04, 12:58 PM
Bill Baka

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:15:49 -0700, Bob Anderson
wrote:

[...]

I have to get my two cents in on this. The motorized skateboard things are
indeed obnoxious and should be outlawed 'anywhere', period. Going down my
street they are loud enough that I want to get out there and 'clothesline'
the kid just to discourage his ever getting on my street again.
Clothesline is an old football term for stopping one in no uncertain terms
with an outstretched arm to the throat. Aggressive maybe, but I hate those
things.
The mini motorbikes are not quite as bad but still should not be allowed on
trails. Electrics can't go that fast and do not pollute either with noise
or
fumes. Wheelchair carts should be made illegal, since if one is dependent
on
one and runs out of charge, they are A. some kind of stupid. and B. In
deep
**** if no one finds them. I have always regarded these as an excuse to die
sooner by giving up walking by not even getting any cardio by using your
hands
to get around. Extra mobility for less years! Have a heart attack while
motoring
Wal-Mart why not?
Back to the point, I would not mind sharing with a slow and quiet electric
scooter that could be pedaled or coasted out if the battery goes flat, but
would be quite disturbed by a hot shot teenager coming by at 30+ on a bike
with a gas motor. The scooterboards it would seem would take care of
themselves
since even a tiny hole would cause them to go on their heads, which might
bang
some sense into them.
Bill Baka, into biking and walking as quietly as possible.

Old September 20th 04, 08:23 PM
the black rose

Bob Anderson wrote:
http://www.registerguard.com/cgi-bin...ate=200409 16

www.registerguard.com | © The Register-Guard, Eugene, Oregon

--snip--
Eugene police Sgt. Derel Schulz said police would have a tough time distinguishing between
gas-powered devices and the electric models, adding that many of the electric versions can
easily exceed the city's 15 mph speed limit for the bike paths.

Er, a BICYCLE can easily exceed a 15 mph speed limit.

So can an inline skater in good shape, for that matter.

-km

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester
the black rose
Old September 20th 04, 11:31 PM
Pat

I'm not surprised by this action. Just last week one of these tiny gas
powered scooters zipped out of a side street right in front of my car. The
rider was an 18 year old guy but his head barely came up to the level of the
top of my fender! And, I'm talking about a Honda Accord, here. IMO, the
people who buy and ride these mini-scooters don't care about traffic rules
or safety, etc. , they just want to blast around and have fun. Oh, and here
in Texas, they are not licensed for street use, anyway, but it doesn't stop
the riders from doing it. People who ride those things do NOT want to ride
on a sidewalk or a bike path---they want to be seen.

Pat in TX

Old September 21st 04, 12:32 AM
Luigi de Guzman

About effin' time.

These things are probably the worst ideas to come around and reach
mass-marketability in ages. It's not that they're fast (they're not), it's
that they're unpredictable. Also loud, polluting, and dangerous for
pedestrians.

-=Luigi

--
www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves

Old September 21st 04, 12:49 AM
dreaded

"the black rose" wrote in message
news

------
www.registerguard.com | © The Register-Guard, Eugene, Oregon

------
--snip--
Eugene police Sgt. Derel Schulz said police would have a tough time

distinguishing between
gas-powered devices and the electric models, adding that many of the

electric versions can
easily exceed the city's 15 mph speed limit for the bike paths.

Er, a BICYCLE can easily exceed a 15 mph speed limit.

So can an inline skater in good shape, for that matter.

-km

we have a popular trail "burke-gilman" supposedly for bikes with a 15 mph
posted limit. i can't ride there anymore, it's too dangerous with all the
meandering peds, strollers, rollerblades etc. even without those noisy
little 2-stroke scooters. boo

^ ^
- -
OO

-alan

Old September 21st 04, 03:07 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote: These things are probably the worst ideas to
come around and reach mass-marketability in ages. It's not that they're
fast (they're not), it's that they're unpredictable. Also loud, polluting,
and dangerous for pedestrians.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
The're not street legal, and they're not sidewalk legal. They're being sold
like hotcakes to anyone with the cash to buy. No training, no driving
experience, no judgement, no control. There is going to be a flurry of
terrible injuries and deaths. Then, after there have been enough tragedies
to make the news, there will be a cry of indignation and outrage from
police, school officials and parents.

Then the cycle will be repeated in some as yet unknown way.

Old September 21st 04, 03:24 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" writes:

The're not street legal, and they're not sidewalk legal. They're being sold
like hotcakes to anyone with the cash to buy.

Unlike Segways, which seem to have been forgotten about.
Except last week I saw a couple trundling down the
sidewalk on his-'n-her Segways. It was the first and
only time I've seen Segways being used as marketed.
They looked downright silly.

Anyhow, I figure bike paths are basically linear parks,
and are to be respected as such, including not impinging
on other people's enjoyment of those places.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old September 21st 04, 06:12 AM
cheg

"Bob Anderson" wrote in message

http://www.registerguard.com/cgi-bin...ate=200409 16

. The ban would include electric- and
gas-powered scooters, the so-called "pocket bike" miniature motorcycles, and

bicycles with
electric motors to assist weary riders.

Too bad they are lumping electric-assist bicycles with those other bits of drek.
In Washington State, they are specifically exempted from the motor vehicle
prohibition on bike trails. They aren't noisy, are no faster than conventional
bikes, and don't attract the kind of users that make the scooters such a PITA.

Old September 21st 04, 06:26 AM
Pete

"cheg" wrote

Too bad they are lumping electric-assist bicycles with those other bits of

drek.
In Washington State, they are specifically exempted from the motor vehicle
prohibition on bike trails. They aren't noisy, are no faster than

conventional
bikes, and don't attract the kind of users that make the scooters such a

PITA.

Yeah, it's too bad. But writing a rule that would allow one but not the
other would be damn near impossible to do. And harder to enforce.

Pete