Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

Old September 24th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte?

For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?
Orange flavor would be great but doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not any funky or excessively sweet flavor. No artificial sweeteners.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 26th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/24/2017 10:02 AM, Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?
Orange flavor would be great but doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not any funky or excessively sweet flavor. No artificial sweeteners.

Buy 25kg of coconut water powder for $395. Enough for 1250 bicycle water
bottle fills, at 20 grams per bottle. About 32 cents per bottle.

Old September 27th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 10:02:35 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old September 27th 17, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

It is a good source of potassium but difficult to store. Rots easy.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/much...uice-6666.html

The powder seems to have no potassium left, no idea what happens to it
in the process:

https://www.amazon.com/Augason-Farms.../dp/B00LBGNW9I

Old September 27th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?

I use diluted orange juice.

Usually one tablespoon of juice per water bottle.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Hello Joy, there is more to it than simply replacing electrolytes. I almost had heat prostration on the 3rd by simply drinking Red Bull. It provided sufficient electrolytes but insufficient calories to burn while riding.

When undergoing extreme exercise your digestive processes are impaired and you should take in simple sugars and electrolytes.

I knew this but the length of the ride sort of developed as I was riding. Normally a 72 mile ride wouldn't have nearly killed me but the day started overcast and cool and then after I was beyond the point of no return it got up over 90 with no shade. And the neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the glass door and having 8" on him.
Old September 27th 17, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

100F+ and no shade is normal here in summer. Scientists say that beer
flushed out glucose and supposedly makes things worse but I can't
confirm that. After a nice pint of Double-IPA, Belgian Tripel or Stout I
feel like having more climb energy than before. Though that burns off
pretty quickly.

... And the
neighborhoods I was riding through were not the sorts where you could
leave your bike to go into a store. The one place I did it a guy came
directly over to my bike until he saw me on the other side of the
glass door and having 8" on him.

That is why I do not patronize stores that do not let me take my bike
inside.

Old September 27th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

When I return from a hard ride and have a Belgian Ale I recover quite rapidly.

In the bay area you get what you get.
Old October 2nd 17, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

outdoors supply is sold out for the season ...a quality benchmark given the snake oil ambience

Old October 11th 17, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Good alternative to Ultima Replenisher electrolyte? (feedback)

On 2017-09-24 10:02, Joerg wrote:
For whatever reason the price for Ultima Replenisher (90-serving
canisters) got jacked up, big time. We used to pay around $25 in bulk,
now it's around $40 with shipping. We go through a lot.

Are there alternatives of comparable quality but more reasonably priced?
Orange flavor would be great but doesn't matter much, as long as it's
not any funky or excessively sweet flavor. No artificial sweeteners.

Some feedback:

I bought "Electro Mix" from Emergen-C (Alacer Corp). About $10 for 30
pouches but those are for 1 liter each so a pouch makes two 500ml
bottles. Therefore, much cheaper than Ultima ever was.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRY5S?th=1

It is also higher in potassium which is good for a hard ride. Taste is
another matter ... blech ... totally bland, there is none. So my wife
adds in a spritz of lemon juice. Though I don't mind the no-taste
version because I just gulp it down to avoid cramps. It works.

Of course, on many rides I have another much more tasty potassium source
in addition: Beer :-)

alternative to carradice visionset UK 6 April 28th 08 09:01 AM
electrolyte replacement OzCableguy Australia 33 March 21st 07 10:34 PM
Elete Electrolyte Water (16oz w/ two 24.6ml bottles) - $27.99 Emilio Marketplace 0 June 25th 05 09:25 PM
Would this be a good alternative to a jersey Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 16 June 17th 05 03:49 PM
peugeot 653 ultima frame? [email protected] Techniques 2 December 13th 04 03:22 PM