It's not every day...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 11th 17, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default It's not every day...

On 11/07/17 02:41, JNugent wrote:
On 10/07/2017 22:23, TMS320 wrote:

Doesn't that demolish (once and for all) the futile attacks on Road
Tax as a concept?

Not really. The fund (if it comes about) will go to roads yet to be
built, not existing ones.

Where does it say that?

I have assumed it from other articles which I can't be bothered to find.
I have also seen mention that it will contribute to a "pothole fund".
(Except the government seems to remain fixated on a tax based on a
flawed test of CO2 output, whatever that has to do with pothole
development.)

Despite the announcement that has just been made, I am not aware of any
new A-routes or motorways planned. Are you?
...end of decade, hmmm.

Thirty months away.

One hundred and twenty nine weeks.

Plenty of time for a new regime to change its mind.

It'll take that long to spend the money aleady committed.

What the UK needs, though (and you hint at it above), is a couple of new
long-disctance motorways which steer clear of existing urban areas, have
only a limited number of interchanges and do not, in practice, cater for
journeys of much less than a hundred miles.

Agreed. But the problem is also how to avoid the spread of urban areas
so such roads end up as local feeders after 20 years. We also have the
problem of how to build traffic relief without encouraging an increase
in traffic. I expect we need to accelerate a move from blunt taxes to
pay to drive.