Ultegra 6600 vs FSA Gossamer Mega Exo cranks

Old July 12th 05, 06:21 PM
GaryJaz

Default Ultegra 6600 vs FSA Gossamer Mega Exo cranks

I am deciding to replace the triple on my bike with a double. I am
having a very difficult time figuring out the total weight of these 2
cranks.

The FSA comes with a BB and apparently needs no cup (I do not know what
BB's and cups are). It's listed at 870 grams.

Some sellers tell me the Ultegra does not come with a BB, some say it
does. Others tell me it needs a cup. The listed weight of the Ultegra
is 823 grams, but I can't tell if that includes the weight of whatever
other parts are needed.

Can anyone figure this out? I can get the FSA installed for about $130
less than the Ultegra since I cannot apply my bike club discount to the
Ultegra stuff.

Also, the Ultegra is made for a 10-speed cassette and my Cannondale has
a 9-speed. I've been told that this is not a problem. Can anyone
confirm?

I can't email Shimano cuz they don't list a contact email address.
Each bike shop has a different opinion. Help!

--garyjaz

Old July 13th 05, 02:07 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

GaryJaz wrote:
I am deciding to replace the triple on my bike with a double. I am
having a very difficult time figuring out the total weight of these 2
cranks.

The FSA comes with a BB and apparently needs no cup (I do not know what
BB's and cups are). It's listed at 870 grams.

Bottom bracket, the bearings and cups that fit into the frame that
support the crankset and bearings

Some sellers tell me the Ultegra does not come with a BB, some say it
does. Others tell me it needs a cup. The listed weight of the Ultegra
is 823 grams, but I can't tell if that includes the weight of whatever
other parts are needed.

it does come with a BB

Can anyone figure this out? I can get the FSA installed for about $130
less than the Ultegra since I cannot apply my bike club discount to the
Ultegra stuff.

Also, the Ultegra is made for a 10-speed cassette and my Cannondale has
a 9-speed. I've been told that this is not a problem. Can anyone
confirm?

Get the Gossamer, nice, cheaper and compatible with any speed of chain.

Old July 13th 05, 07:01 PM
Andrew F Martin

Either will work well with your 9sp. Ultegra is nice, but I'd go with
the FSA.

Old July 15th 05, 04:39 PM
GaryJaz

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a reason why you'd go with the FSA
besides the ~$100 savings?