be nice to drivers day

Old April 29th 05, 11:55 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default be nice to drivers day

On Thursday arvo, I drove home along a busy road, and played a game called
"be nice to drivers" ... this involved chatting to people at all the
traffic lights. There was an especially cute kid (no am not clucky) who
wanted to chat to me, and thought it was cool that I rode my bike, because
he had a bike too!

Apparently Bob Hawke or someone said they never wanted to be a runner
because he never saw a runner that looked happy. I thought that was an
interesting point, seeing as I'm always grinning and saying hello to
people when I'm out for a run or a ride. Anyway, there's probably a lot of
people who don't say hi, and it's not really that difficult.

I have a theory that drivers are angry because they
want to be cyclists (I know I get angry when I see cyclists and I've
stupidly gotten into my cage) and so instead of making them hate me, I'll
say g'day, give 'em a big smile, and make 'em love me! I urge people to
try it sometime. It really takes no more effort than not doing it but I'm
sure it's a really small step towards promoting cycling as something that
makes people happy and cool!
Old April 29th 05, 04:44 PM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
[...]

hahaha even my mum said nobody could love this face..

hippy
"grrrr!!!! no likey driver.. "

TAKE 2

Okay then.. what do you suggest? You want I should start a conversation
with every open window? I should smile at any stopped drivers? Wave at
them? I'm only half being a sarcastic prick.. but, really, there's lots
of drivers going past me (or not) on a given commute and it's usually
hard enougb just staying away from squishy time than greeting the
psychos as well..

Could be worth a shot though.. if I ever get back on a bike..

hippy
Old April 30th 05, 02:46 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:55:44 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

[...]

I talk to them too. And sometimes they talk to me. I nearly got doored
one time and the passenger in a car behind me yelled at the offending
driver. Had a nice chat at the next set of lights :-)

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old April 30th 05, 06:12 AM
Tamyka Bell

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, hippy wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

snip
[...]

Well, I only do it at lights, or if someone honks at me I give 'em a big
smile and wave. Do it on your next/last BR.

Tam

ps Hey what happened to your email address? I think this one is a bigpoo.

Old April 30th 05, 06:20 AM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Well, I only do it at lights, or if someone honks at me I give 'em a big
smile and wave. Do it on your next/last BR.

Yeah.. sometimes I manage to avoid getting angry and do the cheesy wave
and smile.. sometimes..

Tam
ps Hey what happened to your email address? I think this one is a bigpoo.

Better now sooky bum? :P

hippy

Old April 30th 05, 10:12 AM
Terry Collins

hippy wrote:
Tamyka Bell wrote:

Well, I only do it at lights, or if someone honks at me I give 'em a
big smile and wave. Do it on your next/last BR.

Yeah.. sometimes I manage to avoid getting angry and do the cheesy wave
and smile.. sometimes..

That is easy. Just have something funny on your bicycle and they all
smile. Like rabbit/seasonal ears/magpie/rubber duck on your helmet.

My trick is a large crate on my flatbed trailer that has thos 6"
reflectors and wheel strip reflectors set up as a smiley.

Works for just about everyone, but one arsehole in the last three years.
Old May 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Carl Brewer

wrote:

instead of making them hate me, I'll
say g'day, give 'em a big smile, and make 'em love me!

That's so much easier for girls than boys

Old May 2nd 05, 05:47 AM
Michael Warner

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:55:44 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

I have a theory that drivers are angry because they
want to be cyclists (I know I get angry when I see cyclists and I've
stupidly gotten into my cage) and so instead of making them hate me, I'll
say g'day, give 'em a big smile, and make 'em love me! I urge people to
try it sometime. It really takes no more effort than not doing it but I'm
sure it's a really small step towards promoting cycling as something that
makes people happy and cool!

I think it's very important to show drivers that we appreciate it when
they're considerate. I always at least put a hand up in acknowledgement.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old May 2nd 05, 05:47 AM
Michael Warner

On Mon, 02 May 2005 09:55:53 +1000, Carl Brewer wrote:

instead of making them hate me, I'll
say g'day, give 'em a big smile, and make 'em love me!

That's so much easier for girls than boys

But wearing lycra makes up some of the difference :-)

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old May 2nd 05, 09:19 AM
BrettS

Michael Warner wrote:

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 20:55:44 +1000, Tamyka Bell wrote:

I have a theory that drivers are angry because they
want to be cyclists (I know I get angry when I see cyclists and I've
stupidly gotten into my cage) and so instead of making them hate me, I'll
say g'day, give 'em a big smile, and make 'em love me! I urge people to
try it sometime. It really takes no more effort than not doing it but I'm
sure it's a really small step towards promoting cycling as something that
makes people happy and cool!

I think it's very important to show drivers that we appreciate it when
they're considerate. I always at least put a hand up in acknowledgement.

I agree, especially in the rare cases where they wait for a break in
oncoming traffic to go around you, or leave a gap when they are stopped
at an intersection so they don't block the bike path route.
It's only a small thing, but if we acknowledge the small courtesies we
can make people feel better and more likly to do the same in the future.
I know that when I'm driving and people give me a wave of thanks for
letting them into traffic, I feel more inclined to do it next time.

--
BrettS