A life of privilege

Old March 6th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default A life of privilege

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:

time for a run on the beach

I went to the local beach a couple of weeks ago, and had it all to
myself (except for the gulls).

I actually saw a couple of people trying to surf in a windy day in
November on the same beach.

Old March 6th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
Every day when I rise I put on cycling trousers before I even open the
curtains.

Today was the first day since I started doing that in the second week
of January that I've had to take the cycling trousers off again
without going biking, even if for a short run, and I've thrice made
the 20+km run to Kilmacsimon already this year without once getting
wet. But today was cold and wet and hail fell.

I feel sorry for people who live in places like the American midwest
and Canada and suchlike, and have this crap day after day for months
on end.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html

Hey my friend A Man!

We *choose* to live here. Ain't no chains on our ankles. Anyone who don't
like it, is free to leave. Many have indeed left this area for NV or AZ,
whatever.

I left Chicagoland and moved north of the Cheddar Curtain.

The only problem there, is obviously WATER because those states
are mostly DESERT. (Caps used because some folks who moved, for some reason
did not know beforehand, they were moving into the AMERICAN SOUTHWESTERN
DESERT.)

A pox on Bill Richardson for suggesting taking Great Lakes water outside
their watershed. When Phoenix is humid from people watering their lawns,
that is NOT a real water shortage.

In my general part of the US, locals refer to these parts, various
affectionate ways - the Heartland - northern plains, couple others. My
great-great-grandparents emigrated from Germany and Austria. They got their
land through the Homestead Act of 1862. That land is still in my family
today. I will never sell it, though I do not live on it. Long story.

Long story short, we (in these parts) like the dramatic change of seasons.
We adapt.

The winters are much milder in the southern tier of Wisconsin counties
and farther south.

Old March 6th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Andre Jute wrote:

Denmark is practically flat, so the wind would bother you there if
there is any.[...]

Due to viscous drag, wind speed is much lower near the ground. On flat
windy rides, I have passed many a better rider on my lowracer due to this
effect.

Here is a Dutch bicycle that is sensible for their flat, windy conditions:
http://www.challenge-recumbents.com/html/index.php?taal=en&selectie=taifun.

Flame away!

Wind is the nemesis of all cyclists, no matter what kind of bike you are
riding. I have spent 30 years cursing the god damn ****ing wind here in SW
Minnesota. It takes all the fun out of cycling.

The wind is finally being put to some good use however. Wind power
generators (big windmills) are going up all over the countryside. It of
course ruins the landscape, but we need the energy I guess. Either that or
carpet atom bomb the Muslims of the Middle East so we can TAKE their ****ing
oil from them.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old March 7th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 5, 4:19 am, wrote:
On Mar 4, 11:31 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 5, 3:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
Every day when I rise I put on cycling trousers before I even open the
curtains.
Today was the first day since I started doing that in the second week
of January that I've had to take the cycling trousers off again
without going biking, even if for a short run, and I've thrice made
the 20+km run to Kilmacsimon already this year without once getting
wet. But today was cold and wet and hail fell.
I feel sorry for people who live in places like the American midwest
and Canada and suchlike, and have this crap day after day for months
on end.
Hey, I rode a bicycle (Peugeot P-8 with minimal tread tires) to school
every day in junior high school in Wisconsin. Wore nothing more than a
wool cap, mittens and windbreaker over a cotton sweatshirt in the
winter. Never really was bothered by the weather.

See, it's turned you into a hard case. If you'd gone to school by SUV,
you could now be a grimacing softy.

Moving to Wisconsin from Quebec made the winters seem rather mild.

Of course, the last time it was really cold here was 1995, when it was
-35°C temperature, with a wind chill of -55°C. Of course, I worked
outside for the full day.

Later in the same year, I worked a full day outside with the temperature
being at 35°C and a heat index of 50°C.

Here in Ottawa it was predicted that we were in for a cold, hard
winter. Instead, it's actually been relatively mild, but damn have we
got a lot of snow! We had our largest single-day snowfall back on
Dec. 17, and the season total so far is 237cm (93 inches). As I type
we're getting hit with what could be another 20cm, and if that happens
then we'd be in 2nd place for our all-time snowfall accumulation.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/stor...more-snow.html

I'm cycling as always, but am getting a little tired of the slush and
snow and will be downright giddy whenever Spring decides to show up.

Mark

And to add to what I wrote above, we succeeded that amount and so
welcome to our 2nd snowiest winter. Problem is, they just forecasted
what could be our worst storm yet, with a possible 30 - 50 cm starting
Friday night and through the weekend!

This is our 3rd storm warning in a week, and as of tonight there's a
complete ban on street parking across the urban core so that crews can
get the current accumulation off the roads before this next load comes
in. Being early March I'm sure they were hoping to just leave it so it
would melt away in the coming weeks. But as it is right now on some
side streets emerg. vehicles are having difficulties getting through.

And while it's great to have no parked cars around, the cycling is not
so great. I'll take dry streets and -20C temps over this mess any
day!

Mark
Old March 7th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute

On Mar 7, 9:02*am, wrote:
On Mar 5, 4:19 am, wrote:

On Mar 4, 11:31 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 5, 3:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

That's so unfair! I can almost, almost, almost taste spring on the tip
of my tongue. Today a pretty girl in a shop asked if she could come
cycling with me; someone told her I know all the best rides.

Andre Jute
Canted forward in anticipation already
Old March 8th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

1. The destrcutcive yield modern strategic nuclear weapons (bombs)
would not preclude the necessity of "carpet bombing".
2. Nuclear radiation would make the area bombed unsuitable for
pilfering and pumping of oil far enough into the future that by then
alternative fuels will largely replaced dino-crude as a major source
for fuel.
3. You are as perceptive as the average tree stump, so allow me to
remind you that this was deliberately top posted. Go ahead and issue
your predictable copy paste boilerplate rant. No one will give a
****.

Old March 8th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 5, 12:15*pm, datakoll wrote:
time for a run on the beach

There's nothing worse than having the runs on the beach, especially if
one is some distance from the bath house.
Old March 8th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Mar 4, 10:31*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 5, 3:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Did you really live in Quebec?

Old March 8th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote:
On Mar 4, 10:31 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 5, 3:48 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Right about here I think (relying on memories from when I was 4 years
old)
[1]:http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=41.885244,+-87.621614&ie=UTF8&ll=46.754623,-71.345698&spn=0.00161,0.003648&t=h&z=18.

The back yard of the house was on the Cap Rouge River a short distance
from the Saint Lawrence.

the AIM of LIFE . abdo911 General 1 October 31st 07 10:20 PM
the AIM of LIFE . algaga Unicycling 2 October 25th 07 04:02 PM
the AIM of LIFE algaga Techniques 11 October 1st 07 06:27 AM
the AIM of LIFE algaga Racing 3 September 30th 07 11:02 PM
Chain life vs cassette life Euan Techniques 32 August 24th 05 12:34 AM