dead cyclist

Old March 11th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

Default dead cyclist

In article , Mike
Jacoubowsky wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
| Andrew Muzi wrote:
| Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
| centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
| on WABC radio news just now.
|
| To Protect and Serve?

Thankfully, it's very rare that we hear of incidents involving patrol cars
causing accidents, outside of hot pursuits. And even rarer an accident
involving a patrol car and a cyclist.

snip

True. But if the investigation reveals the cyclists were completely
blameless in this affair the officer should be charged with two counts
of manslaughter. Period.
Old March 11th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 9, 7:06 pm, A Muzi wrote:
Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
on WABC radio news just now.

He should never be allowed to drive a motor vehicle again.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 16th 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

On Mar 11, 11:23 am, Luke wrote:
In article , Mike

Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
| Andrew Muzi wrote:
| Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
| centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
| on WABC radio news just now.
|
| To Protect and Serve?

Thankfully, it's very rare that we hear of incidents involving patrol cars
causing accidents, outside of hot pursuits. And even rarer an accident
involving a patrol car and a cyclist.

snip

True. But if the investigation reveals the cyclists were completely
blameless in this affair the officer should be charged with two counts
of manslaughter. Period.

I couldn't agree more. In an earlier post someone mention all the hell
this officer is going to endure during the investigation. What about
all the hell friends and family of the victims are going through, not
to mention the victims themselves?

Try going to a MADD meeting and using the excuse the officer used ...
falling asleep. That wouldn't fly there and it shouldn't in the
investigation either. Being tired to that extent makes you just as
impared as being drunk or high on other drugs besides alcohol.

This is a sorry situation all around. But somewhere a line has to be
drawn and the carnage has to stop.
Old March 16th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Mar 11, 8:23*am, Luke wrote:
In article , Mike

Jacoubowsky wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
| Andrew Muzi wrote:
| Santa Clara county sheriff's deputy 'accidentally' crossed the
| centerline in his cruiser hitting 3 cyclists, 1 fatally. Headline only
| on WABC radio news just now.
|
| To Protect and Serve?

Thankfully, it's very rare that we hear of incidents involving patrol cars
causing accidents, outside of hot pursuits. And even rarer an accident
involving a patrol car and a cyclist.

snip

True. But if the investigation reveals the cyclists were completely
blameless in this affair the officer should be charged with two counts
of manslaughter. Period.

I don't think there is any question that the officer crossed the
center line and hit the cyclists, which pretty much absolves them of
any fault. The harder question is whether he should be criminally
prosecuted for falling asleep. I don't believe in criminal prosecution
for simple negligence, but the California legislature apparently does
-- at least based on my reading of the vehicular manslaughter statute.
It carries a sentence of up to one year in county jail, which makes it
a misdemeanor. Gross negligence turns it in to a felony. And yes (to
respond to another post), I do understand the havoc this officer's
negligence has caused and certainly feel sorry for the survivors. I
still feel sorry for him too, assuming that he is telling the truth
about falling asleep. Many lives were ruined. -- Jay Beattie.

Police want assistance in identifying dead cyclist Peter Fox[_2_] UK 0 July 19th 07 12:55 AM
Cyclist dead: 6 months loss of licence Peter Australia 53 June 2nd 07 09:44 AM
Today's dead cyclist Steve UK 10 March 27th 07 06:41 AM
Cyclist dead in car strike (Melbourne) ghostgum Australia 0 September 28th 06 11:25 PM
Dead cyclist finally ID'd. Callistus Valerius Racing 5 December 23rd 04 07:54 PM