What the Hell????

Old July 9th 11, 01:01 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve O

Default What the Hell????

On 08/07/2011 04:52, SMS wrote:
On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:

I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one.
I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
if everyone else did the same.

Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Yep- I've started to notice that- and it's getting better,and more
informative

Old July 9th 11, 01:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve O

On 08/07/2011 04:07, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:34:53 +0100, Steve
wrote:

I'll stick around, but it looks like this loon has more or less
destroyed this newsgroup,

Loons can't destroy newsgroups. It's the idiots who stroke and pet
and encourage the loons -- the idiots who magnify the loon's
disturbance beyond all belief -- who destroy newsgroups.

Very true- the killfile is your friend

Stolen from somewhere; provenance lost:

Starguard's Guaranteed Fire Extinguisher

A very wise Fidonet system operator once told me her "magic
formula" for putting out flamewars. I have since posted it
to two newsgroups and seen it praised by their
administrators. And it's so SIMPLE....

Take the premise that chronic flamers have an ego problem.
Consider what result they hope to achieve: to get people
"going", to get a reaction. So! What to do? Follow this
very simple plan:

Ignore them.

If you feel you absolutely MUST answer them, answer them
only ONCE, no matter what else they reply with. (I don't
care if you have to bite your lip, kick your desk, get up
and run around the room...sit on your hands. Deny them the
satisfaction!)

If you DO break down and answer them: refuse to stoop to
their level, no matter what the provocation. (Why should
you allow them to drag you down to their childish level?!)

(I might add that part of the genius of Starguard's Plan is
that answering ONLY ONCE forces you to make a careful,
well-reasoned rebuttal...try to hew to this part of the
formula. She got her inspiration from a rule West Point gave
up because it was TOO effective....)

But most of all: IGNORE them.
That's the worst torture of all to an egotist!

And it WORKS.

Of course.
Old July 9th 11, 08:56 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On Jul 7, 8:52*pm, SMS wrote:
On 7/7/2011 12:34 AM, Steve O wrote:

I've found another moderated forum which is also more relevant to where
I live so I'll mostly be around there, but will keep an eye on this one..
I've killfiled the sonovabitch, you would think it would help a little
if everyone else did the same.

Very few people have not done the same. These groups become quite
readable with some judicious filtering of the problem posters.

Problem posters, for mountain bikers, are anyone who actually tells
the truth,