$4.99 Brand New Tire from China

Old February 28th 16, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Red Cloud

Default $4.99 Brand New Tire from China

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.
Old February 28th 16, 09:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Where sold ?
Old February 28th 16, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I tried
and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as good
as the big name brands.

I've seen their Bicycle tyres offered as low as UK£7 - most shops seem to
get away with charging about £10 though.

There's one on the front right now - I've gone through about half dozen rear
tyres of various brands since fitting the front.

Old February 28th 16, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/02/16 20:19, Ian Field wrote:

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as
good as the big name brands.

I've seen their Bicycle tyres offered as low as UK£7 - most shops seem
to get away with charging about £10 though.

There's one on the front right now - I've gone through about half dozen
rear tyres of various brands since fitting the front.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-read...plus-tour.html

Luvverly rubber for commuting, traversing mine fields, circumnavigation
of the globe, storing rotational energy for later use. The list is endless!

They wear well, they don't puncture, they grip well enough in all
conditions :-)

Old February 29th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 22:51:10 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Tosspot considered Sun, 28 Feb 2016 20:29:39
+0100 the perfect time to write:

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as
good as the big name brands.

My experience with them is far worse than yours then - they certainly
looked like tyres, but exhibited few of the characteristics like grip
or handling that are normally associated with motorcycle tyres.
So terrible, in fact, that I threw them out before they'd covered
1,000 miles (and that on a small bike on which I would have expected
at least 7 or 8 times that). I even cut the beads to ensure that some
unfortunate wouldn't attempt to use them in the misguided belief that
they had found something of any value in the trash.

I suppose it's unlikely they could have got worse, so I'm guessing
they have improved to some extent since I last used them, but my
experience was enough to put me off the brand for life.

I've seen their Bicycle tyres offered as low as UK£7 - most shops seem
to get away with charging about £10 though.

There's one on the front right now - I've gone through about half dozen
rear tyres of various brands since fitting the front.

http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/tour-read...plus-tour.html

Luvverly rubber for commuting, traversing mine fields, circumnavigation
of the globe, storing rotational energy for later use. The list is endless!

They wear well, they don't puncture, they grip well enough in all
conditions :-)

It is noticeable that locally made tires, in the cheaper models, are
much harder then other, more expensive brands. I was told by one tire
shop (selling Michelins) that the local made cheap tires contained a
lot of "carbon" to make them harder so that they lasted longer. I
believe that the association is that poor people want their tires to
last a long time.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old February 29th 16, 11:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

cheap Chinese or Tiwanese tires are nrideable. Show me a and I'll ...

check auto salvage for hi mileage tires vs A/T .............

compare for front end damage/corner damage on pickups.
Old February 29th 16, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as
good as the big name brands.

My experience with them is far worse than yours then - they certainly
looked like tyres, but exhibited few of the characteristics like grip
or handling that are normally associated with motorcycle tyres.

Maybe a couple of decades ago they wouldn't have been good enough for my
riding style.

But if you don't ride like a total ****wit - they're quite adequate.

Old March 1st 16, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
news
"Ian Field" considered Mon, 29 Feb
2016 20:15:54 -0000 the perfect time to write:

. ..

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

Bought from 99 cents store.. Brand new 26x2.0 tire made in china. I
tried and i last only one month by wear out pretty fast.

The cheapest motorcycle tyres I found were Cheng Shin from Taiwan.

Tyre life was OK - grip was good enough for careful riding, but not as
good as the big name brands.

My experience with them is far worse than yours then - they certainly
looked like tyres, but exhibited few of the characteristics like grip
or handling that are normally associated with motorcycle tyres.

Maybe a couple of decades ago they wouldn't have been good enough for my
riding style.

But if you don't ride like a total ****wit - they're quite adequate.

While I wasn't all that slow, I always managed to avoid being in the
serious scratcher category, and never owned a bike designed with that
purpose in mind.
Yes, I sometimes rode fairly fast, and cornered fairly hard, but only
in places where I knew the road surface and could see the route was
clear well ahead of where I was aiming to be.

Years ago I had an ex-police Norton Commando 750.

The huge fibreglass fairing didn't take much leaning to ground it.

Every night on the way to college, there was a particular bend that allowed
me to grind a little more ground clearance into the bottom of the fairing.

Old March 1st 16, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Tue, 01 Mar 2016 05:13:42 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

John B. considered Mon, 29 Feb 2016 08:30:01
+0700 the perfect time to write:

"Red Cloud" wrote in message

Q: How long $4.99 brand new tire would last?
A: one month

[...]

That's not much consolation to your nearest and dearest if the result
is that you don't live as long as the tyre

Well, the majority either ride a bicycle to the market and home with
the groceries, very upright and slowly, or they have 120 cc
motorcycles and the death rate for motorcyclists here is rather high -
Thailand is in the highest 5 countries in the world for traffic deaths
and ~70% of them are motorcycles. So perhaps the hard tires are
acceptable :-)

--
cheers,

John B.