Sandwich recipe, please

Old September 10th 17, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Sandwich recipe, please

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 19:11:38 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 10:47:32 +0700, John B wrote:
On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:31:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't
have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your
ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ham and cheese. Thin slices. Or even the old school lunch, peanut
butter and jelly. -- Cheers,

I like dates and figs on a bike ride,

Figs are allegedly laxative - dried apricots are somewhat better to the
extent of causing explosive decompression.

But under certain circumstances perhaps explosive decompression could
be considered another form of propulsion. After all for every action
there is an opposite and equal.... :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 10th 17, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

After searching cycling food try 'runners food.'

Old September 10th 17, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message

John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

After searching cycling food try 'runners food.'

There's also dieter's supplements, and probably various useful things in the
body builders aisle.

Old September 11th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

wrote:

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't
have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your
ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ham and cheese. Thin slices. Or even the old school lunch, peanut
butter and jelly. -- Cheers,

I like dates and figs on a bike ride, a banana is of course an old
standby for this sort of thing. I like almond butter better than peanut
butter and usually use honey instead of jelly or jam as it's less messy.
I use a handlebar bag or large seatbag, usually, so regular bread is
fine. For putting in a pocket, I might use pita bread instead.

I would avoid things with mayo in them, they are going to get awfully
warm in a pocket. Food poisoning sucks.

I also really like Kind Bars and those are usually what I carry
nowadays.

Greg Lemond's book, as I recall, had some space devoted to discussing
this.

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds
Old September 11th 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-09-08 08:31, wrote:
Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you
don't have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can
do your ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

My favorite for rides of less that 5h are home made grain bars that are
totally non-sweet. My wife bakes them in large sheets in the oven, then
cuts them. We only have a German recipe since this was a hint from a guy
in a German bike NG and we modified it:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/14555...sliriegel.html

For longer rides I carry this bread made from trub, the residue in the
fermenters when I make beer:

https://delishably.com/baked-goods/S...sing-Beer-Trub

On it I'll have pecorino cheese, brie if it isn't too hot out there,
olive loaf, Italian salami. No butter.

Both of these recipes have found favor with other cyclists. To the point
where one of them now regularly receives a chunk of our various trub
breads. They all taste differently depending of which beer they came from.

My left panniers on both bikes are 100% dedicated to liquids and
culinary items. On really long rides I also carry my old 16oz stainless
steel office thermos and fill it with homemade IPA or similar. Park the
MTB at a whisper-quiet location with a pristine mountain view, unpack
the trub bread sandwiches, pour myself a nice cold IPA. Life is great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 11th 17, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

https://www.google.com/search?q=vege...w=1240&bih=708
Old September 12th 17, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 12th 17, 08:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:07:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

Years ago I read a study of McDonalds meals in an article by a
dietitian. Nothing at all wrong with it at all. Providing that you are
doing heavy physical labour all day :-)

(Hard physical labour - ~400 calories/hour. Big Mac ~540 calories.
With coke and fries ~1,100)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old September 12th 17, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 7:07:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

I always ride well after eating it; works fine. Unlike Sushi. No matter how much sushi I eat, the lack of energy when trying to ride after is alarming
Old September 12th 17, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 11:25:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

Don't tell ME which zone is for stopping and which is for loading