New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

Old December 4th 03, 09:21 PM
Mark Thompson

Default New Sub-species of Stealth Cyclist

Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
them on and putting them on his bike!

Old December 4th 03, 10:14 PM
Richard Goodman

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...
Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
them on and putting them on his bike!

Ha! Weeell, this last week my two rear lights have been in the mesh pockets
and not on the bike, albeit that I do switch them on. The reason they've
been in the mesh pockets is because someone nicked my saddle & seatpost with
the light brackets on and I'm still waiting to see if LBS can get
replacements (not Cateyes, unforch) rather than buying whole new lights.
Of course, the front light is still mounted on the bars!

Rich

Old December 5th 03, 10:34 AM
Arthur Clune

Mark Thompson (change warm for hot) wrote:
: Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
: wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
: have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
: them on and putting them on his bike!

Actually, not all that un-sensible. Maybe the lights were flat?

Maybe he'd come to the (not unreasonable) conclusion that standard
bike lights are so poor a good hi-vis jacket is better round town?

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old December 5th 03, 10:44 AM
Michael MacClancy

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Actually, not all that un-sensible. Maybe the lights were flat?

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the bus?
___
Michael MacClancy

Old December 5th 03, 10:46 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

wrote:
: Didn't know what to make of this one. Seen at 6.45pm (so well dark). Was
: wearing a fl. jacket but with no lights. As I got closer I noticed he did
: have lights in the mesh sidepocket of his bag, but hadn't bothered turning
: them on and putting them on his bike!

Actually, not all that un-sensible. Maybe the lights were flat?

Maybe he'd come to the (not unreasonable) conclusion that standard
bike lights are so poor a good hi-vis jacket is better round town?

Arthur

But even if he had come to that conclusion - he was still breaking the law by
riding without lights being lit. When I'm out on my bike I keep a spare set of
batteries with me, in case I do have lights going flat. Then, I can swiftly get
the situation sorted to remain legal.

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 5th 03, 10:56 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the bus?

Or, do what I do - carry a spare set of batteries with you. Not difficult
really!

Old December 5th 03, 11:15 AM
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Michael MacClancy wrote:
"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Actually, not all that un-sensible. Maybe the lights were flat?

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the
bus? ___

Rechargeables in the lights. 2 spare normal batteries in my bag to get me
home to the recharger. LED lights don't tend to just go anyway so you know
it's time for replacements well in advance.

Old December 5th 03, 11:41 AM
Colin Blackburn

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 09:44:40 -0000, Michael MacClancy
wrote:

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
Actually, not all that un-sensible. Maybe the lights were flat?

Which raises the question, "What do people do when their batteries are
flat?" Ride on regardless of the fact that you're breaking the law,
frantically look for a shop where you can buy new ones or catch the bus?

The only time it happened to me, before I discovered hub dynamos and
multiple rear LED lights, I proceed cautiously (but illegally) along the
well lit streets of north Oxford and then walked the bike on the pavement
for the last unlit mile of country road to my house. It's not happened
since then, if it did I would consider myself very unlucky that all 4
battery lights (3 back, 1 front) and a dynamo had failed at the same time
but as my bike folds I'd get a bus or taxi.

Colin
Old December 5th 03, 11:42 AM
Dave Larrington

Seen yesterday: Stealth cyclist with a difference. On cleser examination,
she /did/ have a rear light, but the large and, frankly, opague bag she had
slung round her neck and hanging down below seat level rendered it
invisible.

Another example of this sub-species was spoted on a foul wet winter evening
in Tottenham Corpse Road. Same thing with the rear light, save that this
was obscured by a jumper tied around the rider's waist. A WHITE jumper.
She was riding a mountain bike. With no mudguards. Oh dear.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old December 5th 03, 11:46 AM
Peter Clinch

Dave Larrington wrote:

Another example of this sub-species was spoted on a foul wet winter evening
in Tottenham Corpse Road. Same thing with the rear light, save that this
was obscured by a jumper tied around the rider's waist. A WHITE jumper.
She was riding a mountain bike. With no mudguards. Oh dear.

Shurely "formerly white jumper"? ;-)

Pete.

--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Cyclist scraps around the world plans Mike Kruger General 5 June 21st 04 09:23 PM
not a cyclist loki General 38 May 22nd 04 02:06 PM
Cyclist Jailed For Tire Slashings B. Lafferty Racing 8 April 19th 04 01:14 PM
What Makes You A Cyclist? TheCyclist2002 General 87 March 21st 04 06:42 AM
American crash cyclist gets 20 years in jail. Howard UK 23 November 25th 03 04:06 PM