Mounting front derailleur to 1 1/8 seat tube?

Old July 14th 05, 08:49 PM
Ted

Default Mounting front derailleur to 1 1/8 seat tube?

I have a bike that needs a front derailleur with a 1 1/8 clamp. I want
to put a Campy triple front derailleur on this bike, only problem is
that there's no 1 1/8 size clamp. I've seen adapter clamps that let you
use a braze-on derailleur, or there are shims that let you use a 1 1/4
clamp on a 1 1/8 seat tube.

Is there any advantage of using one over the other?

Thanks,
Ted

Old July 14th 05, 09:20 PM
Mark Janeba

Ted wrote:

I have a bike that needs a front derailleur with a 1 1/8 clamp. I want
to put a Campy triple front derailleur on this bike, only problem is
that there's no 1 1/8 size clamp. I've seen adapter clamps that let you
use a braze-on derailleur, or there are shims that let you use a 1 1/4
clamp on a 1 1/8 seat tube.

Is there any advantage of using one over the other?

Since it's getting hard to find the adapter clamps in 1-1/8 (your
mileage may vary), I'd use the shims. They can be a bit tricky to
position, but they work fine.

Mark

Old July 15th 05, 07:11 AM
Werehatrack

On 14 Jul 2005 12:49:13 -0700, "Ted" wrote:

I have a bike that needs a front derailleur with a 1 1/8 clamp. I want
to put a Campy triple front derailleur on this bike, only problem is
that there's no 1 1/8 size clamp. I've seen adapter clamps that let you
use a braze-on derailleur, or there are shims that let you use a 1 1/4
clamp on a 1 1/8 seat tube.

Is there any advantage of using one over the other?

The shim allows you to screw up without a penalty.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 15th 05, 07:14 AM
Werehatrack

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 06:11:04 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

On 14 Jul 2005 12:49:13 -0700, "Ted" wrote:

I have a bike that needs a front derailleur with a 1 1/8 clamp. I want
to put a Campy triple front derailleur on this bike, only problem is
that there's no 1 1/8 size clamp. I've seen adapter clamps that let you
use a braze-on derailleur, or there are shims that let you use a 1 1/4
clamp on a 1 1/8 seat tube.

Is there any advantage of using one over the other?

The shim allows you to screw up without a penalty.

Rats. I didn't read close enough. If you can find the adapter clamp,
it has no drawbacks that I am aware of. Since it's not like you can
add a braze-on to an aluminum frame easily, some form of clamp-derived
method is pretty much required.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 15th 05, 02:13 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Ted wrote:
I have a bike that needs a front derailleur with a 1 1/8 clamp. I want
to put a Campy triple front derailleur on this bike, only problem is
that there's no 1 1/8 size clamp. I've seen adapter clamps that let you
use a braze-on derailleur, or there are shims that let you use a 1 1/4
clamp on a 1 1/8 seat tube.

Is there any advantage of using one over the other?

Not really but go see a shop that 'qui si parla Campagnolo' and see if
they will swap the clamp assembly of a 31.8 for the 28.6 that comes on
any Campagnolo double front der...But a 28.6 clamp assembly works fine.

OBTW-Campagnolo will be amking 28.6 clamps only in 2006, along with
clamps for 31.8, 34.9, ala shimano-a good thing, IMO

Thanks,
Ted