David Millar

Old February 17th 05, 11:14 PM
Dan Gregory

Default David Millar

First Edition Cycling News for February 18, 2005

Edited by Hedwig Kröner & Jeff Jones
CAS correct Millar's ban

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has corrected the ban imposed
on David Millar, after the British rider was heard by a panel on January
24. The Panel considered that the two year suspension imposed by British
Cycling was appropriate, but nevertheless started and therefore will end
at a later date than it should have.

"The Panel noted that, from the date of his arrest, David Millar was
unable to compete any more and that, in addition, he promptly and
voluntarily announced that he was withdrawing from the British Team for
the Olympic Games in Athens. As a consequence, the CAS arbitrators
decided that the two year suspension should be calculated to run from
June 24 2004, as requested by Millar, and to end on June 23 2006," the
CAS said in a statement. The initial starting date of the ban had been
August 5, 2004.

The decision taken on Thursday, February 17 could mean that David Millar
will return to competition in the end of June 2006, possibly even
participating in the Tour de France next year.

All the best
Dan Gregory
courtesy http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...eb05/feb18news
Old February 18th 05, 07:35 AM
turkeytickler

Dan Gregory wrote:
[...]

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again
Old February 18th 05, 10:00 AM
JohnB

turkeytickler wrote:

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't.

John B
Old February 18th 05, 10:08 AM
wafflycat

"turkeytickler" wrote in message
news.php?id=news/2005/feb05/feb18news

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't particularly

helen s

Old February 18th 05, 10:57 AM
vernon levy

"JohnB" wrote in message
turkeytickler wrote:

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't.

I do

t'other Vernon

Old February 18th 05, 11:04 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , JohnB ')
wrote:

turkeytickler wrote:

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't.

Because?

The Conservative Party is now dead. The corpse may still be
twitching, but resurrection is not an option - unless Satan
chucks them out of Hell as too objectionable even for him.

Old February 18th 05, 11:09 AM
Temp3st

"wafflycat" wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message

"turkeytickler" wrote in message
news.php?id=news/2005/feb05/feb18news

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't particularly

helen s

I do - although I suspect he won't make the 2006 tour.
Even if he does- it is unlikely that he will be fit enough to finish it.

Old February 18th 05, 12:12 PM
JohnB

Simon Brooke wrote:

in message , JohnB ')
wrote:

turkeytickler wrote:

I look forward to seeing him in the Tour again

I don't.

Because?

I'll bite, but I suspect you know the answer.

He is a cheat. He only coughed up when caught then came out with all the
usual cry-baby cr*p.

Worse, he was also the hero of my ten-year old son who was put off cycle
racing as a result and who now keeps asking for the address of Cofidis
so he can cut up his once treasured cap and post it to them.
His treasured Millar autograph from Herne Hill is also now history.

If cycling is to even start cleaning its image up it must rid itself of
the cheats for once and for all. I know of several other parents who now
have serious doubts about encouraging their children into cycling as a
sport. The considrable number of unexplained deaths amongst younger
riders doesn't help.
Instead, cycle racing - at least at a top continental level - is getting
very close to being a circus along the lines that Wrestling has become.

Allowing the cheats to return should have no place in the clean up.

John B
Old February 18th 05, 12:42 PM
MSeries

JohnB wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

in message , JohnB ')
wrote:

turkeytickler wrote:

[...]

He will have served his sentence by then. He was a cheat, is he cheating
now ? Will he be cheating in 2006 ? Do you care ?
Old February 18th 05, 12:57 PM
JohnB

MSeries wrote:

JohnB wrote:

Instead, cycle racing - at least at a top continental level - is getting
very close to being a circus along the lines that Wrestling has become.

Allowing the cheats to return should have no place in the clean up.

John B

He will have served his sentence by then. He was a cheat, is he cheating
now ?

No idea.

Will he be cheating in 2006 ?

No idea.

Do you care ?

I don't care for what Millar has done much at all.

John B