texting motorist

Old September 6th 16, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

Default texting motorist

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years

Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.

---

Old September 7th 16, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Tony Dragon wrote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years

Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.

Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road texting all
the
time.
If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a pedestrian, would he get 9 years
in jail?
Or, do we both know the answer to that one?

Old September 7th 16, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Wed, 07 Sep 2016 17:00:31 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Tony Dragon wrote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years

Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.

Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road texting all
the
time.
If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a pedestrian, would he get 9 years
in jail?
Or, do we both know the answer to that one?

We need to reintroduce the word accident back into the English language. The driver did not mean to kill anyone.

--
If the Pope goes #2, does that make it "Holy ****"?
Old September 8th 16, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years
Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.
Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road
texting all the time.
If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a pedestrian, would he get 9
years in jail?
Or, do we both know the answer to that one?

We need to reintroduce the word accident back into the English
language. The driver did not mean to kill anyone.

The word "accident" is not necessarily appropriate in a situation where
a death occurs but was not intended.

The correct word in some circumstances would be "accident", but at the
other end of the scale, it might well be "manslaughter".

Consider a cyclist hurtling down a hill on the footway (not at all unusual).

An innocent pedestrian exits a garden gate to cross the footway to a
parked car. The cyclist hits and kills her.

(Involuntary) manslaughter (I don't like the word "involuntary" there -
it needs to be read as "unintended").

Certainly not accidental. The death was caused recklessly in the
commission of an illegal act (that is not the only test of manslaughter,
but it is one of them).

Old September 9th 16, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
[...]

The death was caused by the idiot pedestrian not looking before crossing. As some do, they hear no engine so assume they can cross.

--
Mary had a little skirt
With slits right up the sides

Mary had another skirt
With a slit right up the front
She never wore that one...
Old September 9th 16, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

And when they walk straight into an old woman and knock her over, I suppose you blame the old woman? When exiting your gate onto the pavement, ****ing look where you're going! It's basically a give way line.

Old September 9th 16, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
[...]

Of course I do not.

When exiting your gate onto the
pavement, ****ing look where you're going! It's basically a give way line.

Rubbish. One hundred percent faecal waste.

There are no give-way lines, either real or imaginary, on
pedestrian-only routes and areas. Everyone is entitled to walk out of
their front gate (or front door) onto a footway without being mown down
by a chav on a bike.
Old September 7th 16, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 07/09/2016 17:00, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Tony Dragon wrote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years

Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.

Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road
texting all the time. If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a
pedestrian, would he get 9 years in jail? Or, do we both know the
answer to that one?

Fortunately you will not get the opportunity to find out.
Old September 7th 16, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

Tony Dragon wrote:
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years

Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.

Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road
texting all the time. If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a
pedestrian, would he get 9 years in jail? Or, do we both know the
answer to that one?

Fortunately you will not get the opportunity to find out.

Indeed, it would be pretty difficult to kill someone while cycling, considering you have a fraction of the mass of a car.

--
Two blondes are racing down a bumpy back road in a pretty beat up car down to a bank they're going to rob.
"Drive slower" pleads the one in the passenger seat, "I don't want all the nitro in the boot to explode."
Old September 8th 16, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Tony Dragon wrote:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...clist-11849698

Driver who hit and killed cyclist on A31 near Farnham while texting
jailed for nine years
Why he wasn't banned before beggars belief.
Good, he deserves to be locked up.

However, I see cyclist riding both on the footpath and the road
texting all the time. If a texting cyclist was to hit and kill a
pedestrian, would he get 9 years in jail? Or, do we both know the
answer to that one?

Fortunately you will not get the opportunity to find out.

I hope you are right.

But experience teaches sensible people to never say "never".