Single speed (roadie) question

Old September 10th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RU12?

Default Single speed (roadie) question

I have a wheel set with Formula Flip/Flop hubs (fixed/free). The
Freewheel I have will thread on to both sides and my question is this.
Does anyone here have experience with using freewheels on both sides of
a fixed free hub? The threads are the same but they are not as deep on
the fixed side and I am not sure if the mating surface is the same where
the freewheel mates to the hub.

Thanks

Carl
Old September 10th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

Carl wrote:
I have a wheel set with Formula Flip/Flop hubs (fixed/free). The
Freewheel I have will thread on to both sides and my question is this.
Does anyone here have experience with using freewheels on both sides of
a fixed free hub? The threads are the same but they are not as deep on
the fixed side and I am not sure if the mating surface is the same where
the freewheel mates to the hub.

It is absolutely not a problem. The freewheel will grab just as many
threads as a fixed sprocket would.

Sheldon "But Fixed Is More FUN!" Brown
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Old September 10th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 9, 8:34 pm, RU12? wrote:
I have a wheel set with Formula Flip/Flop hubs (fixed/free). The
Freewheel I have will thread on to both sides and my question is this.
Does anyone here have experience with using freewheels on both sides of
a fixed free hub? The threads are the same but they are not as deep on
the fixed side and I am not sure if the mating surface is the same where
the freewheel mates to the hub.

Thanks

Carl

One side is for the fixed cog and one for the single speed FW but
having a SS freewheel on the fixie side is no big deal...

Old September 10th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RU12?

Sheldon Brown wrote:
Carl wrote:
I have a wheel set with Formula Flip/Flop hubs (fixed/free). The
Freewheel I have will thread on to both sides and my question is this.
Does anyone here have experience with using freewheels on both sides of
a fixed free hub? The threads are the same but they are not as deep on
the fixed side and I am not sure if the mating surface is the same where
the freewheel mates to the hub.

It is absolutely not a problem. The freewheel will grab just as many
threads as a fixed sprocket would.

Sheldon "But Fixed Is More FUN!" Brown
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com
Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
http://sheldonbrown.com

Thanks Sheldon, I am sure that Fixed IS more fun however 50 percent of
Whidbey Island is Down hill.

single speed roadie conversions RU12? Techniques 24 August 30th 07 10:50 PM
Single Speed Chain Question Ed_Zep UK 0 July 18th 07 09:27 AM
Single speed question Baelwulfe Mountain Biking 6 May 31st 04 07:36 PM
single speed teck question Frank Schaefer Marketplace 1 February 5th 04 01:47 PM
single speed tech question Frank Schaefer General 4 February 5th 04 04:32 AM