current road tire recommend?

Old September 27th 14, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

Default current road tire recommend?

On Saturday, September 27, 2014 12:14:27 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/27/2014 10:50 AM, N8N wrote:

Hi all,

been a long time. Long story short (and this is relevant) I've managed to acquire a new girlfriend, and am also getting back into riding after a few years of only doing it occasionally. I mentioned to her offhand the other day that a friend of mine had called and asked if I'd go riding with him and apparently she really enjoys it as well, but doesn't currently have a bike. Score!

So after reinstalling the roof rack on my car and trolling Craigslist we have two possibilities that we'll be looking at, however one is a road bike with 23s on it and the other is a cross bike with cross tires. So either way for road riding we'll probably be looking for a pair of 25s for her - I'm guessing the owner of the bike with the 23's must be very petite, or doesn't have any fillings. (she's small enough that 28s might be overkill but I'm thinking 23s might not be enough. 28s feel plush to me and I'm significantly heavier than she.)

So, the question is - what would be the current recommend for a not too expensive but nice rolling, good wearing road tire for general use in a 25ish mm size? 700c of course. I'm still rolling on Paselas on my bikes, but she might object to the Fredly gum sidewalls (everything she's liked has been a bit racier than the stuff I ride) although if she doesn't mind that might be the go to...

thanks for any advice!

nate

Pasela is also available in all black.

Really? cool!

Or a Michelin, which is either less or more expensive

depending on model.

Any one you'd specifically recommend?

Setting up a new craigslist bike for a new girlfriend, tire

choice may be your smallest problem.

Hah. I don't pretend to be anywhere near a pro mechanic but I am still riding the bike that I built up a few years ago and it's still riding great, so apparently I'm either spectacularly lucky or not completely devoid of skill.

She does want to look at one tomorrow, but I suggested to her to at least get fitted at a good bike shop before going too far with this exercise so she at least knows what a good fit feels like, although according to her she was riding semi-seriously a few years ago.

nate
Old September 27th 14, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 9/27/2014 10:50 AM, N8N wrote:

[...]

A good fit is probably the most important consideration.

--
duane