22 Sept. No petrol day

Old September 14th 05, 06:24 AM
flyingdutch

Default 22 Sept. No petrol day

Just got sent this. on a cycling email group!

OK OK. I agree to not buy any petrol for my bike

"It has been calculated that if everyone in australia
Did not purchase a drop of petrol for one day and all at
The same time, the oil companies would choke on their
Stockpiles.

At the same time it would hit the entire industry with a net
Loss over 4.6 Billion dollars which affects the bottom lines of the
oil companies.

Therefore thursday september 22nd has been formally declared “stick
it up their asss” day and the people of this nation should not buy a
single drop of petrol that day.
The only way this can be done is if you forward this e-mail
To as many people as you can and as quickly as you can to get the word
out.

Waiting on the government to step in and control the prices
Is not going to happen. What happened to the reduction and control
In prices that the arab nations promised two weeks ago?

Remember one thing, not only is the price of petrol going
Up but at the same time airlines are forced to raise their prices,
Trucking companies are forced to raise their prices which effects
Prices on everything that is shipped. Things like food, clothing,
Building supplies medical supplies etc. Who pays in the end? We
Do!

We can make a difference. If they don’t get the message
After one day, we will do it again and again.

So do your part and spread the word. Forward this email to
Everyone you know. Mark your calendars and make september 22nd a
day
That the citizens of australia “enough is enough” ""

--
flyingdutch

Old September 14th 05, 06:39 AM
cfsmtb

I got this spammed at me from a dozen different addresses - in CAPS
LOCK. Don't like people shouting at me for no good reason.

Anyway, 22 September is also CarFree Day:
http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/

http://www.carfree.com/
http://www.carfree.com/cft/

If only t'date could be altered so it could be combin'd with Talk Like
a Pirate Day or t' burgeonin' Flying Spaghetti Monsterism cult. Now
thar's potentially a winnin' combination that would capture t'
populace's imagination.

--
cfsmtb

Old September 14th 05, 06:45 AM
Peka

I'll be cycling to work that day, and it's unlikely that my cage will
need fuel on that day anyway.

I still don't see how not buying petrol on one day is going to make a
difference. The oil companies know that your typical Aussie will still
fill up within a week of Sept 22, and will likely increase the price on
those days to make up for whatever they lost.

If people really want to make a statement, they should stop driving to
work for a whole week, and clog up the public transport systems. That
will get the attention of the govt AND the oil companies.

Just my opinion...

--
Peka

Old September 14th 05, 06:55 AM
PiledHigher

Peka Wrote:
I'll be cycling to work that day, and it's unlikely that my cage will
need fuel on that day anyway.

I still don't see how not buying petrol on one day is going to make a
difference. The oil companies know that your typical Aussie will still
fill up within a week of Sept 22, and will likely increase the price on
those days to make up for whatever they lost.

If people really want to make a statement, they should stop driving to
work for a whole week, and clog up the public transport systems. That
will get the attention of the govt AND the oil companies.

Just my opinion...

This the third or fourth time that this kind of thing has gone around,
maybe it is the cause of increased petrol prices.

Love the 'activism' that doesn't actual require you to try to change
anything!

As the previous poster suggested to affect the oil companies, you need
to do more than just not buy petrol, you need to affect your
consumption significantly. Ride, run, catch public transport, car share
then it will have an effect.

They won't choke on their stockpiles, there are multiple days
elasticity in the system between the oil stockpiles at the refinery, at
intermediate steps in processing, finished product at the refinery,
storage at petrol stations and all the fuel stored in vehicles.

I won't buy petrol on that day, I think my next tank will be needed mid
october.

PiledHIgher

--
PiledHigher

Old September 14th 05, 07:00 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-09-14, Peka wrote:
I'll be cycling to work that day, and it's unlikely that my cage will
need fuel on that day anyway.

Ditto.

I still don't see how not buying petrol on one day is going to make a
difference. The oil companies know that your typical Aussie will still
fill up within a week of Sept 22, and will likely increase the price on
those days to make up for whatever they lost.

Yeah ... this is an excuse for people to bounce useless emails around
the country, and feel good about "doing something" when they're actually
doing sweet stuff all. I'll be very surprised if the bowsers sit idle on
that day, and even more surprised if this "action" achieves anything.

If people really want to make a statement, they should stop driving to
work for a whole week, and clog up the public transport systems. That
will get the attention of the govt AND the oil companies.

I'd love to see such a thing happen. Even better would be the gubmint
declaring a given day a "car free" day, and forcing the general
population onto bikes or PT. Ain't gunna happen, though -- either of
them.

Old September 14th 05, 07:02 AM
GPLama

and on Sept 22 everyone put your lunch in the fridge on floor 19!

cheers,
GPL

Old September 14th 05, 07:14 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-09-14, GPLama wrote:
and on Sept 22 everyone put your lunch in the fridge on floor 19!

but ... but ... but ... my office building only goes up to the fourth
floor!

Old September 14th 05, 07:22 AM
Marx SS

Sell your car.
Change your lifestyle to suit.
Rearrange your priorities.

Do this once & petrol prices will never be problem for you from that
point on.

That will make them (petrol pricing people) take notice.

[ odds on bet that the 21st & 23rd will be big fuel up days.....]

--
Marx SS

Old September 14th 05, 07:30 AM
flyingdutch

GPLama Wrote:
and on Sept 22 everyone put your lunch in the fridge on floor 19!

cheers,
GPL

but its up here on floor 20, you ejitt!

i think this sad little attempt at populist activism is meant to make
the poor sad petrol-buyin gits feel like they have some control over
their dumb-arse situation, as long as it doesnt involve doing the
obvious

--
flyingdutch

Old September 14th 05, 07:32 AM
Peka

Peka Wrote:
I'll be cycling to work that day, and it's unlikely that my cage will
need fuel on that day anywayLol, notice how I said 'fuel' and not petrol? My cage is a turbo diesel

My motorbike does use petrol, but it took a full day of
redlining it at the track to make it drink 12.5L/100km

--
Peka