"Do one thing and do it well"

Old September 7th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default "Do one thing and do it well"

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 05:53:00 -0700, "Qui si parla
Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com wrote:
I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alt_rear_wheel

yeegads....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...el_half_spokes

Dear Peter,

Actually, it's just a return to classic wheelbuilding at its finest!

The first tensioned wheels by Starley used the vee-spoke looped
through an eyelet on the rim:

http://www.arielcycles.me.uk/history...tarley03-3.jpg

Spokes that unscrew like pool cues were a clever way to allow
replacing broken spokes on cross-7 high-wheelers:

http://i3.tinypic.com/5ymzs40.jpg

With that many spokes, putting pairs of spoke-holes next to each other
on the hub xx xx xx xx was another trick to allow 7x lacing
without one spoke covering the head of another spoke--not a problem
with the modern low spoke-count wheel from Crank Brothers.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old September 7th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
.com ,
landotter wrote:
On Sep 7, 9:02 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
On Sep 7, 7:18 am, "
wrote:
On Sep 7, 2:53 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...ike07/index.ph...

yeegads....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...ike07/index.ph...

That MUST be a joke.

Steel-good, aluminum-better..mix, better still...

It should be far more dynamic!

Stiffer handling and a more compliant ride.

--
Michael Press
Old September 7th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Drackman

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
message oups.com...
I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alt_rear_wheel

What do they weigh?

Old September 8th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sep 7, 4:47 pm, "Frank Drackman" wrote:
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...ike07/index.ph...

What do they weigh?

Hank Crank: 175 pounds, Tony (The Tank) Crank: 210

Old September 8th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote:

I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alt_rear_wheel

Well, I'm not sure that axiom is necessarily reasonable or right. Had it
been in place at Apple, they would never have entered the portable music
player market, or the music-over-the-internet market.

As for Crank Brothers, they're most famous for their pedals. Those
pedals, if I remember correctly, were about their third product line,
after their multi-tools and their speed lever (maybe their pump was
third).

That said, this design looks weird. But it's a clever way to make a
really good tubeless rim. And it can be trued with a conventional spoke
wrench!

Old September 8th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
message oups.com...
I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alt_rear_wheel

Rip-off of Rolf's paired spokes?

Old September 8th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Sep 7, 7:54 am, Paul Myron Hobson wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:

Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.comwrote:
I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...robike07/index....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...bike07/index.p...

Well, you gotta go through a couple of throw aways before you find the
idea that you really want to keep? Maybe?

They already did that with pedal design..got a good one now..why they
want to make such a silly idea, that does nothing new but emphasizes
'unique to this wheel' parts, is silly...but their $.

Old September 9th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ron Ruff

On Sep 8, 6:20 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
wrote:
They already did that with pedal design..got a good one now..why they
want to make such a silly idea, that does nothing new but emphasizes
'unique to this wheel' parts, is silly...but their $.

Yes, being unique is very important... that is what the consumers want
to see. They want to buy something unique so *they* will be unique.
I'd being willing to cut CB some slack on these as long as they are as
durable as a conventional wheel at a similar weight that would cost
half as much... many manufacturers don't meet that "requirement".

Old September 9th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
They already did that with pedal design..got a good one now..why they
want to make such a silly idea, that does nothing new but emphasizes
'unique to this wheel' parts, is silly...but their $.

Yes, being unique is very important... that is what the consumers want
to see. They want to buy something unique so *they* will be unique.
I'd being willing to cut CB some slack on these as long as they are as
durable as a conventional wheel at a similar weight that would cost
half as much... many manufacturers don't meet that "requirement".

BUT it will probably be less durable, weigh maybe about the same and
be more expensive. PLUS in 2-3 years, they will have moved onto
something else with no spokes/barrells/rims as replacements...I guess
manufacturers have to try to be onnovative in this pretty flat market
but I just don't see why CB can't just stick to pedals. They do that
well.

Old September 10th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave Reckoning[_2_]

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" wrote in
message oups.com...
I guess is lost on Crank Bros....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...alt_rear_wheel

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...oke_attachment

So, if I loose one spoke, I loose two?

In wheels as in love, my motto is: Simple is good.

This does not seem simple

Dave