Why isn't there a narrower 36er tire?

Old May 23rd 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Default Why isn't there a narrower 36er tire?

There are a huge range of 700c rims and 28/29" tyres, that go down to
super-skinny. However, with a couple of exceptions (search the forums
for Bacon Slicer) nearly everyone with a 29er seems to ride with a 2"
or greater tyre.

If skinny tyres were such a good idea for unicycles, why aren't more
people using the ones that are available for for the next size down?

STM - In a Devils Advocate mood

--
semach.the.monkey
Old May 23rd 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

semach.the.monkey wrote:
If skinny tyres were such a good idea for unicycles, why aren't more
people using the ones that are available for for the next size down?

STM - In a Devils Advocate mood

I had a unicycle similar to the Bacon Slicer for a while and really
enjoyed it. It was not that comfortable for long rides but the handling
sure was crisp.

I would much rather tour with a 2.25" tire on a 36er but would put a
1.5 on my 36er in an instant if planning on using it for a race (like
RTL)

it is the sacrifice of comfort for performance that deters most people
from using a skinnier tire on their 29" road machines.

--
saskatchewanian

'St John Bosco Wilderness Camp' (http://www.johnboscocamp.com)
Old May 23rd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

semach.the.monkey wrote:
If skinny tyres were such a good idea for unicycles, why aren't more
people using the ones that are available for for the next size down?

My 29er tire measures 1-7/8" wide and my 36er tire measures 2-1/8"
wide.

--
phlegm
Old May 23rd 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

semach.the.monkey wrote:
If skinny tyres were such a good idea for unicycles, why aren't more
people using the ones that are available for for the next size down?

Because the Big Apple weighs a lot less than any 36" tire. Also the
stuff about racing. For RTL, riders are willing to be less comfortable
if they can be faster. This is much less a concern for long rides that
aren't a race; even the 100k several of us did on Sunday.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old May 23rd 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

The Big Apple 2.0" is superior for road unicycling to the Big Apple
2.35", but that's not because of weight; it's because the narrower tire
tracks better on slanted surfaces. I think the Coker "button" tire also
doesn't track very well on camber; the Radial TA is better.

(Aside: if you think these tires track well on camber, try hitting a
cambered road section at high speed in geared mode. The fact that you
learn to compensate for camber doesn't mean that the tire handles it
well).

I do think a 36x2.0", similar to the narrower version of the Big Apple,
would probably be a nice tire.

--
tholub
Old May 24th 08, 01:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

johnfoss wrote:
Because the Big Apple weighs a lot less than any 36" tire. Also the
stuff about racing. For RTL, riders are willing to be less comfortable
if they can be faster. This is much less a concern for long rides that
aren't a race; even the 100k several of us did on Sunday.

Do you really think a 36x1.5 tire would be significantly more
uncomfortable overall? How many people are pumping up their 36x2+
tires up over 40 or 50 psi just for regular riding?

What really got me thinking about this was that I initially had a
Exiwolf 2.3 on my geared KH29. I rode it almost exclusively with 125s.
When I switched to the 2" wide slick I'm using now, I found it to be
even more comfortable because it became much more responsive.

--
phlegm

wide tire slips on narrower wheel Jerry[_3_] Techniques 12 April 1st 08 08:15 PM
Are narrower tires really more efficient? Dien Cai Dau General 22 October 18th 07 05:34 AM
New 36er Rim and Tire ?'s benwitt11 Unicycling 14 March 19th 07 01:13 PM
slick 36er tyre/tire smdO2 Unicycling 21 February 24th 05 08:56 AM
Fitting narrower tyres Jeremy Collins General 16 August 5th 04 12:21 PM