Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before a drivingtest?

Old October 11th 08, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Mike A Schwab

Default Should we make people pass a cycling/motorcycle test before adriving test?

On Oct 10, 6:03*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

I would say a bicycling test once a year in grades 3-10 ages 8-16,
call it pre-drivers education. Then when you are old enough to get a
car drivers license, you just need to learn about cars, you already
know the rules of the road.
Old October 11th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

I would say a bicycling test once a year in grades 3-10 ages 8-16,
call it pre-drivers education. Then when you are old enough to get a
car drivers license, you just need to learn about cars, you already
know the rules of the road.

If you're proceeding in a straight line along a highway,
you have the right to expect nobody will obtrusively
interfere with your line of travel (your ROW.) But they
might, so watch out.

Slower traffic keeps to the right (North America,) allowing
faster traffic to pass on the left.

Unlit intersections are dealt with on a first-come/first
served basis -- if a vehicle or bicycle operator is already
in the intersection, they should be ceded ROW. When crossing
vehicles simultaneously arrive at an intersection, the leftward
vehicle cedes ROW to the rightward vehicle.

When opposing vehicles meet at an intersection and one is going
straight through while the other is making a left turn, the
left-turner should cede ROW to the straight-through vehicle.

These are the rules of the road I learned at age 7.

Since then, i learned that when you're riding your bike on
the streets & roads you can be as law-abiding as all get-out,
and you won't get credit for being some kind of traffic saint.

There are no traffic saints.

So there are no holds barred.

cheers,
Tom

--
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

Old October 11th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:

That's what makes our Western culture so much more
progressive than those Old World cultures that get
a collective hair up their collective ass about
newspaper cartoons depicting Muhammet, and books by
Salman Rushdie et al.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Christ
Old October 11th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
S'mee

On Oct 10, 9:30*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * "S'mee" writes:

Uh you obviously FAILED at both critical reading and thinking. He said
if you can't ride a bicycle(pushbike in barbarian lands) or ride a
motorcycle you shouldn't be aloud to drive anything at all...not a bad

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^

Sleep is for the weak and my spelling is notorious. 8^/

idea too bad I thought of it back when I started riding back in '76.

Good for you.

Yabbut nobody listens to the ideas of a kid.

At least we're free to rebut.

Without getting decapitated. *Just investigated *;-)

Water boarded, violated (just searching for contraband comrad)
And that's what's better about Western/New World society.

I thought it was the beer and single malt whiskeys. mmm, single malt,
mmm hic.

I was still up from a nice 6am start that day.

Maybe have a tomato juice in the morning.

Why I've coffee, a piece of tail and no hangover...some of us are
responsible. Unlike over half of america.
Old October 11th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
S'mee

On Oct 11, 8:06*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Tom Keats wrote:
That's what makes our Western culture so much more
progressive than those Old World cultures that get
a collective hair up their collective ass about
newspaper cartoons depicting Muhammet, and books by
Salman Rushdie et al.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Christ

You mean people still belong to those cults? DAMN! My hero was right
"there is a sucker born every second"
p.s. that's not modern art...that is dada
--
Keith
Old October 11th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Road Glidin' Don[_2_]

On Oct 10, 4:03*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a cycling/motorcycle
test and if they fail that test they won't have a chance with the
driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a few cones with a
bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are bound to be cyclists
or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------*-----
WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
(reason #103: because bananas will never be biofuel for cars!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Oh, it's the ****ing idiot again. Take your cross-posting ****
elsewhere.
Old October 11th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Tim McNamara

In article
,

wrote:
Case in point is how we should make people pass a
cycling/motorcycle test and if they fail that test they won't have
a chance with the driving test! Why? Because it's better to knock a
few cones with a bicycle, than with a car, where those cones are
bound to be cyclists or pedestrians in real life.

Simply some people should not be driving!

-------* ----- WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION? (reason #103: because
bananas will never be biofuel for cars!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Oh, it's the ****ing idiot again. Take your cross-posting ****
elsewhere.

I only see posts form this idiot when someone responds to him (like
you). Put him in your killfile, life is much too short to waste telling
trolls to shut up.
Old October 12th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Road Glidin' Don

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:41:48 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article
,

**** off and follow your own advice.

Old October 12th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Keats

In article ,
Peter Cole writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

That's what makes our Western culture so much more
progressive than those Old World cultures that get
a collective hair up their collective ass about
newspaper cartoons depicting Muhammet, and books by
Salman Rushdie et al.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****_Christ

And then there's Chaim Potok and his "Asher Lev."

Heh. I guess my own knee-jerk reactions to the
notion that bicyclists should be licensed/restricted
is akin to other people's reactions to their own
belief-systems/world-views being dis'd.

It sure is hard to not be an hyprocrite in some way
or other. And realizing ~that~ is pretty humbling.

But it's still worthless, pointless and just plain wrong
to inflict licenses and further restrictions upon
bicycle riders. Not just because operating a bicycle is
so different from operating a motor vehicle, but because
we humans need elbow room, breathing space and freedom.
We have to keep the walls from closing in on us.

You know what I mean, and I'm not telling you or anyone
anything you don't already know.

I just /have/ to rebut the idea that bicycling should
be restricted or proscribed.

cheers,
Tom

--