Jailed in Kentucky for taking the lane

Old September 19th 14, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand

Default Jailed in Kentucky for taking the lane

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Old September 19th 14, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

"Bertrand" wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Hmm. Maybe Frank can spend a couple hours riding there and report back that
he had no problems as well.
--
duane
Old September 19th 14, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/19/2014 11:56 AM, Bertrand wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

The law is pretty clear
http://transportation.ky.gov/Bike-Walk/Documents/Bike%20Law%20Brochure.pdf.
Bicycles are not required to ride on the shoulder.

"KRS 189.300 Slow moving vehicles must keep as far to the right as
practicable (bicyclists - read SAFE) to allow faster vehicles free
passage. But to be safe, riders need not place themselves in danger of
running off the road or over deteriorated pavement and may take the lane
(position near the center of the lane) when hazards, road widths, or
traffic speeds dictate."

Old September 19th 14, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/19/2014 4:22 PM, Duane wrote:
"Bertrand" wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Hmm. Maybe Frank can spend a couple hours riding there and report back that
he had no problems as well.

I've ridden in Kentucky, but not on that road. And I've had no problems
doing so.

This is a pretty unusual case, for a few reasons. (Other bike forums
have been talking about it for months.) One critical factor is
Kentucky's unusual wording of it's AFRAP law, which uses the term
"highway" instead of the UVC (and all other states) "roadway." That was
a deciding factor in this case.

However, despite better wording, there have been cases I know of in
other states where cyclists were similarly prosecuted. One guy in Texas
lost a very similar case. One guy in Maine (whom I've met) won a very
similar case. And there's probably no end of incidents cyclists have
been harassed for riding where the individual cop didn't like. I can
tell of an outrageous local case, if anyone's interested.

None of this is helped by those who want "separate but equal" segregated
facilities everywhere.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 19th 14, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

sms wrote:
On 9/19/2014 11:56 AM, Bertrand wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

The law is pretty clear
http://transportation.ky.gov/Bike-Walk/Documents/Bike%20Law%20Brochure.pdf. Bicycles are
not required to ride on the shoulder.

"KRS 189.300 Slow moving vehicles must keep as far to the right as
practicable (bicyclists - read SAFE) to allow faster vehicles free
passage. But to be safe, riders need not place themselves in danger of
running off the road or over deteriorated pavement and may take the lane
(position near the center of the lane) when hazards, road widths, or
traffic speeds dictate."

This is similar to the laws in most places. Laws here are similar except
there's nothing saying specifically that you can take lane center. That
would probably require an obstruction forcing you to do so. On the other
hand there are pretty specific laws governing safe passing on the motor
vehicle's side. Including crossing solid lines when passing a bike.

This all works in a perfect world. YMMV in practice.
--
duane
Old September 19th 14, 11:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, September 19, 2014 9:22:04 PM UTC+1, Duane wrote:
"Bertrand" wrote:

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Hmm. Maybe Frank can spend a couple hours riding there and report back that

he had no problems as well.

--

duane

You owe me a new keyboard, Duane, 69 euro and delivery from Apple. Mine died the coffee death after I, all unawares, read your post and burst out laughing.

Andre Jute

Old September 20th 14, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 9/19/2014 1:22 PM, Duane wrote:
"Bertrand" wrote:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Hmm. Maybe Frank can spend a couple hours riding there and report back that
he had no problems as well.

Warning, do not have a mouthful of coffee or any other beverage when
reading Duane's posts. I have a lovely IBM clicky keyboard that I treasure.

Old September 20th 14, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

"Bertrand" wrote:

[...]

I rode half-way across Kentucky from the west to just below Lexington and then went south on W25 to Tennessee. It was a f****** nightmare. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOHXjckSdc

At least the lady in the news wasn't on a coal road. She would have lasted about ten seconds. Those dudes are over loaded and pedal to the metal because they are paid by the load, and there are only so many hours in the day.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 20th 14, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, September 19, 2014 4:22:04 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
"Bertrand" wrote:

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/17/3...after-she.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/09/12/3...olasville.html

http://www.kentucky.com/2014/05/01/3...lexington.html

Hmm. Maybe Frank can spend a couple hours riding there and report back that

he had no problems as well.

--

duane

I don't think the problem was so much her taking the lane as it was her impeding traffic flow.

Cheers

taking the lane Mrcheerful UK 23 July 21st 14 03:27 PM
Taking the lane Joe Riel Techniques 76 July 18th 13 03:27 AM
Taking the Lane Trifecta! Jay Beattie Techniques 26 July 5th 13 05:22 PM
taking the lane nik.morgan[_2_] UK 3 August 19th 12 01:50 PM
Taking The Lane Steve Walker[_2_] UK 6 March 3rd 11 09:21 AM