Chainring and gears

Old September 13th 16, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]

Default Chainring and gears

I need to replace the centre chain ring on my bike, and I see they're
supplied as (1, 2, 3) and (7, 8, 9). Out of curiosity, what's the
difference?

I can see it with chains, needing a narrower chain for more gears makes
sense. And I can just about see why number of chainrings could be a
factor. But the rear cassette - why would that matter?
--
Cheers, Rob
Old September 13th 16, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:50:47 UTC+1, RJH wrote:
I need to replace the centre chain ring on my bike, and I see they're
supplied as (1, 2, 3) and (7, 8, 9). Out of curiosity, what's the
difference?

I can see it with chains, needing a narrower chain for more gears makes
sense. And I can just about see why number of chainrings could be a
factor. But the rear cassette - why would that matter?
--
Cheers, Rob

You can get a much wider ranger of gears by using a triple chainset and 9 speed rear cassette.

My max is 30 gears or 3x10.

http://guides.wiggle.co.uk/chainsets-buying-guide
Old September 13th 16, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 13/09/2016 08:50, RJH wrote:
I need to replace the centre chain ring on my bike, and I see they're
supplied as (1, 2, 3) and (7, 8, 9). Out of curiosity, what's the
difference?

I can see it with chains, needing a narrower chain for more gears makes
sense. And I can just about see why number of chainrings could be a
factor. But the rear cassette - why would that matter?

I doubt whether it matters for 7, 8, 9 because they are combinations of
rings and sprockets of the same thickness. On the cassette the gap
between sprockets changes to accommodate the different number so the gap
at the front is probably also changed to reflect this. I can confirm
that an old 2x6 freewheel can be upgraded to 2x8 cassette and 9sp chain,
without changing the front.

Is Frame spacing for 7 Gears = to 5 Gears? [email protected] Techniques 4 April 13th 09 12:28 AM
Chainring grinding service (creation of chainring guards for cyclocross and single speed use) RobCam Techniques 13 August 10th 05 04:05 AM
Hub gears D.M. Procida UK 38 July 30th 05 06:42 PM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 04:06 PM
Gears George Techniques 3 July 26th 03 04:20 AM